• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

45 raptor build

Bigbull

Well I’m almost done with the 45 raptor , I have chosen to go rifle length gas and adjustable gas block that I made , this is not your run of the mill build , the barrel OAL is 27 inches , I made the the barrel with some very large profiles , 1.250 behind the gas block , 1.125 gas block and 1 inch to the muzzle. The flutes i did are half inch wide And deep leaving me about .175 wall. The muzzle brake I did is just a 4 port basic deal threaded 3/4x24. Did a recessed target crown on both the barrel and muzzle brake. I’m still on the fence if I should make my own hand guard or just buy one ? What do you guys think? Yes that’s another project I started on the table 😁

AFB7E98D-2CEA-42EC-AF42-CF6CB1A610DB.jpeg

Had a 25 inch blank and said why not ? Plus I can chronograph loads see how fast they are compared to factory. It’s a bench stand gun , I wanted the thickness for rigidness and to be able to do real fluting not the chicken scratch so many retailers do on barrels. 

• 8 months later...

BigBull, I assume you are handloading ammo for that cannon - I must say that it is a sharp looking build.  I recently assembled a 16" barreled 45 Raptor LR with a mid-length, adjustable gas system for myself and am looking for suggestions on a starting point for handloads.  There's not much info out there on handloading the 45 Raptor/460 S&W Magnum for rifle use - I worked up a small batch of 250gr Hornady SST bullets and Lil Gun powder to conduct the test fire (10 rounds) and the rifle functioned fine.  I'm now looking for powders suitable to maximize velocity and accuracy using 200-300gr bullets in the longer rifle barrel.  I've seen others discuss using H110 and IMR 4227, how about the slower burning powders like IMR 4895 or 4064? 

Appreciate any insight.

Ty       

Aero 45 Raptor.jpg

8 hours ago, BIGTRUCKNUT said:

I'm now looking for powders suitable to maximize velocity and accuracy using 200-300gr bullets in the longer rifle barrel.  I've seen others discuss using H110 and IMR 4227, how about the slower burning powders like IMR 4895 or 4064? 

Appreciate any insight.

Ty       

Those are both powders that I use in 300BLK (H110) and .30Carbine (IMR 4227).  I use Accurate 1680 in 300BLK, too, so that's another one you could add to the stable.

Since we're in that ballpark...  Some people talk about using IMR 3031 for 300BLK - but I only use that for 45-70 with 405gr handloads.  Possibility, though, it's out there in reference. 

Just found a reference that states " The 45 Raptor uses .460 S&W Magnum loading data and dies. A .308 Winchester shell holder is used during the loading process. "    Also looked at my Hornady 10 Manual, and for 300gr projos, they're listing all 3 of the powders I referenced above, H110, IMR 4227, and Accurate 1680.  That's a place to start - look at .460 S&W Magnum load data. 

Hey thanks for your insights.  I've reviewed the .460 S&W Magnum load data and loaded a first batch of 10 using that data using Lil Gun.  I reload .243 and .308 and I guess have got used to all the powder options.  Just was wondering what others have tried and have had good performance with outside of the limited .460 data that generally specifies faster burning pistol powders.  Seems to me like the 45 Raptor could take advantage of additional barrel length with a slower burning powder.  I recently picked up some IMR 4227 and will have to try it to compare with the Lil Gun. 

• 9 months later...

i have a 460 S+W mag 8 3/8" barrel (and recently purchased a 18" Raptor barrel, yet to be fired. I'm waiting on a gas block.). The muzzle blast/flash of the 460 with max load of AA#9 is considerably less than H110/Win 296. Empirically, this leads me to think there is a lot of still burning H110/Win296 behind the bullet when it  exits the muzzle. Powders slower than IMR 4227 may not be needed in a straight wall case using relatively light for caliber bullets in a rifle with a mid length gas system. Bullets over 300 grains may be a different story.

11 hours ago, ds44 said:

i have a 460 S+W mag 8 3/8" barrel (and recently purchased a 18" Raptor barrel, yet to be fired. I'm waiting on a gas block.). The muzzle blast/flash of the 460 with max load of AA#9 is considerably less than H110/Win 296. Empirically, this leads me to think there is a lot of still burning H110/Win296 behind the bullet when it  exits the muzzle. Powders slower than IMR 4227 may not be needed in a straight wall case using relatively light for caliber bullets in a rifle with a mid length gas system. Bullets over 300 grains may be a different story.

Yeah, gotcha DS44.  I experimented with IMR 4895 and 250 grain bullets over the Summer but the MVs were low and the loads wouldn't cycle the action sufficiently to eject a spent case.  Most impressive handload so far has been 300 grain Parker Productions Match/Hunter bullets and Lil' Gun powder.  Cartridge overall length with the long ogive Parker bullet fills an unmodified steel magazine and functioned correctly.  The Parker bullets are too expensive to be my "standard" load.  I've prepared some 200 and 250 grain Hornady FTX bullets and Lil'Gun with good results and are much cheaper.

300 grn 45 Raptor.jpg

Edited by BIGTRUCKNUT

I have no experience with 45 Raptor or 460 S&W reloading but I have used Lil'gun a lot in 300 BLK supersonics and tried it in subsonics.  Something to consider with Lil'gun.   Great velocities in supers and it worked ok in the subs.  What I don't like about it in the supers and subs was the fact that it burns HOT.  Hot enough that you didn't want to hold the suppressor or bare barrel after about 5 or 6 rounds.  IMR 4227 on the other hand had great accuracy with subs and burned much cooler.  Hold the suppressor after shooting several 5 round strings of test loads cooler.  Just tossing personal experience out there with no idea how it will work out for you.

4 hours ago, dpete said:

IMR 4227 on the other hand had great accuracy with subs and burned much cooler.

That's my go-to powder for the .30 Carbine.  It works great for .300BLK (big rifle round in a small rifle case). Seems that way with alot of the powders listed for .30 Carbine, too.  That little fucker was a Pioneer for what we're doing now, and the round has many, many years of experience doing it. 

I love them both.  If I ever want to know if something might work "in a pinch" with .300BLK, I just check the listed powders for .30 Carbine.   :thumbup:

Looks that way for alot of other Big Rifle Rounds in Small Rifle Cases, too - any of those calibers.  These Fat Wildcats.  Big projectile, stuffed into a case that you want to work through an AR15 platform?  Check the powder possibilities by referencing .30 Carbine powders.  NOT the .30 Carbine load data... :bitchslap:   Just the "workable" powders...   :lmao: 

• 1 year later...
8 hours ago, Curt Smith said:

Accurate 1680 works well for me. It’s the fastest rifle powder listed with a burn rate slightly slower than H-110/296/#9.

Accurate load tables show data for 460 S&W

That's my go-to for 300BLK.  Welcome aboard, in a year-ago thread.  Hit the Intro Section, man, glad you're here. 

• 7 months later...
4 hours ago, dogmower said:

I'm having feeding problems even with the DSC mags and the 3-d printed mag followers and blocks. ANY help appreciated.

With what gun?  What caliber?  You sent me a PM telling me you'd take all my 300 WSM brass that I had for sale - but I've never had any brass for sale.

Details matter...  

sorry, must've sent the wrong email.

I built an upper with an x-caliber barrel in 45 raptor and psa lower. Can't get the rifle to feed reliably, using hdy 300 grain xtp, sra 240 grain semi jacketed hollowpoints or noe cast 300 grain flat nose bullets (looks like a copy of the lee 300 grain flat nose). 

Tried using the mag adapter (3-d printed) that I found on Ebay, but no luck. These have a small block that slides up the front of the mag and a shortened mag follower. 

Thx for your patience

John

16 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

Details matter...  

Barrel length?

Gas system length?  (pistol, mid, rifle)

Gas tube length?

Receiver extension internal depth?

Buffer length and weight?

Recoil spring relaxed length, number of coils, and wire diameter?

Where the gas tube ends in the cam pin cutout?

Read this thread and fill in the rest of the info

We can't even begin to guess with the little bit of info we have so far.

9 hours ago, dogmower said:

x-caliber barrel in 45 raptor

My local shop has bought a bunch of those from them to build some deer rifles. Early on the ports were small, first few he got. After that they went with a Tubbs flat wire buffer spring to fix reliability issues they were having. I think they build on Aero parts, I know they were using the short buffers in the carbines, seemed like the Armalite carbine kit would have been a better route for them but what do I know.

Are you having the same issue with Pmags?