• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

6132expert

You will need a special receiver set made . There are 30'06 versions around some where ,but that wouldn't be large enough ether.

The barrel wouldn't be a problem , but the buffer & spring would have to be tested (Tubb's spring ?)

BCG would also need testing or you could get hurt.

If you have enough $$ , I'm sure you could talk a manufacturer into making a receiver set for you, but the testing would also get expensive.

I'm cleaning two 300WM Browning Bar's , at this time ,so it can be done to a semi auto.

You just have to do R&D on the components.

I have been contemplating going with a different caliber for my next large platform AR build. Although, as the video would attest, there are AR type weapons out there in many of the larger calibers, these guns, as far as I can tell, seem to be mostly proprietary, and don't utilize enough off the shelf AR parts to make building one economically practical for me. Not to mention the fact that if you could get your hands on the individual components to build one of these really BIG AR's in the first place, what do you do for the replacement parts that you will inevitably need, if the company goes out of business or chooses not to continue to manufacture them, The mags alone would be a deal breaker for me. Now here's my question, I know that I could easily build an AR in one of the benchrest calibers like .260 or 6mmBR but does anyone know what the largest caliber you can build, using stock receiver and mags is? I've been told .338 federal and .338 Ruger CM are options, anyone know of any others?

If they're selling the complete gun for 5K, I'm guessing, your going to at the minimum, need their upper and lower, their mags, their bolt, and then you have to get the appropriate barrel, with correct extension (if it's different than a 7.62 extension), you will need a gas system tuned to the cartridge. I doubt you can call any of the big barrel makers and ask them to make this barrel, they won't know what size gas port to drill in the barrel. Your experience with 220 subsonic in the 300 should give you some idea what could happen if you don't get it right.  Even if you could get them to sell you those parts separate from a complete gun, (doubtful) I'd bet your going to be looking at spending close to the price of the complete gun from them, to build one for yourself. And then you've got those mags that I'd bet are over $100 each, and then there's the spares, like an extra bolt, and I'd be surprised if they would guarantee the receiver if they didn't build the gun. As much as I prefer to build vs buy my guns, I think this is one instance where the cheaper course of action in the long run would be just to buy one from the Manufacturer, If I could afford that kind of money I might consider it, but I'd want to take a hard look at the company to see if I thought they'd still be around in 5 years, A lot of good company's that make good products don't end up making it in the long run, and then you own an orphan. In a case like this you might do better to consider a Barrett if you've got your heart set on a BIG caliber SA gun.

I misunderstood the OP. I thought he was hoping to get a 300 win mag on a 308 lower.

God no, I could almost fit my whole 308 in that 300 magizine....... <lmao>

Jgun, you are right. I would like to know if the company would be around in 5,10,20 years. Yes, I did not knowthe price of the rifle before my last post and I 100% agree I woud be better off buying the whole rifle then trying to do a build.

Did yall see the 338 round next to the 308 round and 556 round. That 338 is a monster for sure.

Did yall see the 338 round next to the 308 round and 556 round. That 338 is a monster for sure.

I've witnessed this in person, with rounds in-hand, and the .338 LM is my obsession.  :o

Thanks for reminding me.  Again.  :-[

In a case like this you might do better to consider a Barrett if you've got your heart set on a BIG caliber SA gun.

And right now, Barrett is only doing the M98B in .338 LM.  Bolt.  I'm so Danger Close on that thing that's it's not even funny.  :o

I've witnessed this in person, with rounds in-hand, and the .338 LM is my obsession.  :o

Thanks for reminding me.  Again.  :-[

I want to know why you're still stalling on this issue... You need to get your priorities straight! The only way to make that .338LM stop calling is to answer that call. Come on, you know you wanna!

<laughs> <lmao>

<munch>

I was just addressing 98's statement about being so close to going for the Barrett .338 which, I didn't realize when I originally made the post about buying a Barrett, is also a bolt gun. And I'm not trying to be a stickler for accuracy here, was just kidding about it being an AR, but if your really going to be accurate the guns we all call AR's are just copies of the Stoner design which was given the AR designation for Armalite Rifle. So, as has been mentioned of the forum before, the only "real" AR would have to come from Armalite, and the number designation after AR indicates which Armalite rifle it is. So, the AR 30 although a bolt gun, is actually an AR while all of our semi auto Armalite clones are not.  I don't want any one here to think I'd seriously argue this point on the forum, just kidding around  about it is all.