• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

New PA 10 inbound, and first post.

Always wanted an AR 10, but didn't want to spend the money, then I discovered PSA. Completed lower should be here day after tomorrow, 18 inch upper next week, some decent Vortex glass to go on top, a small pile of P Mags, and a CMC trigger if the gun proves itself capable (if not my bull barrel AR 15 gets it). What should I expect when it gets here, have the gas tube, and buffer system issues been rectified?

7 minutes ago, JMason5067 said:

What should I expect when it gets here, have the gas tube, and buffer system issues been rectified?

If you expect it to run like it's overgassed, then you won't be disappointed if it runs correctly.

The last thing I saw from them was a real receiver extension that measured 7 5/8" internal depth - but it needed to be screwed in another turn.  IF it was screwed in another turn, it wouldn't be 7 5/8" internal depth anymore.  My advice was to leave it alone, and take it with the correct internal depth.  That beats 8" internal that they've sent out, and 7 3/4" internal that they've sent out.    The buffer was still too light, gas port too small, wrong gas tube, and some wonky buffer spring inside it...  

Read the threads here on the data, and take it apart when you get it.  Check it all out, fix the issues you find, and put it back together and enjoy shooting it.  :thumbup:

guess I am ;ucky. Only thing I have had to do to mine to make it a good shooter is put good glass on it and find the ammo it likes. Took about 3 different boxes before I settled down to a good spread. I am -2 inches at 200 yards. For me that's good enough. I am not shooting competitions, I am shooting deer

Put it all together and try some rounds through it before messing with any thing. Maybe they have finally gotten it right. Just lub the BCG heavy. Find out soon enough if you have to trouble shoot.

Edited by Sisco

4 hours ago, JMason5067 said:

The question for today is where do I  find a 2.5 inch H3 buffer...….

Both KAK and Expo Arms make them.  KAK sells their own:

https://www.kakindustry.com/lr308-carbine-buffer-heavy

Primary Arms sells the Expo heavy buffer:

https://www.primaryarms.com/expo-arms-308-heavy-carbine-buffer-5.3-oz

Run both those buffers with the Sprinco Orange spring.  Lots of places sell that, and you can get it directly from Sprinco if you wish. Just search for it online, and something will come up.

25 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

Run both those buffers with the Sprinco Orange spring.  Lots of places sell that, and you can get it directly from Sprinco if you wish. Just search for it online, and something will come up.

Thanks 98Z5V for all the legwork you do for everyone on here. What are your thoughts on an adjustable gas block, and properly sized gas tube?

1 minute ago, JMason5067 said:

Thanks 98Z5V for all the legwork you do for everyone on here. What are your thoughts on an adjustable gas block, and properly sized gas tube?

I'm just trying to get people with reliable guns, brother.

Adjustable gas block:  If the gun is never gonna be fired suppressed, then an adjustable gas block is not a necessity, IF...   Your recoil system is what it needs to be, and your gas system is what it needs to be - it's literally a balance of those two systems that makes the gun run reliably...  Bottom line - if you have a proper recoil system for this large platform AR, you have a gas port diameter that's drilled to the proper size for your barrel configuration, and a gas tube that's the proper length to end directly in the center of the cam pin cutout in the upper receiver - then your gun will run on just about any ammo that you can find for it. 

Properly sized gas tube - high importance.  I went into it on a different thread, and got WAY into it during a board software change - that that one, the dog ate it.  It's gone.  Here's what I can recover from the other thread:

Armalite developed the AR-10 first.  They later developed the AR15 model.  Both original rifles were rifle length gas systems. the AR-10 Rifle length gas tube was 15.5".  When Armalite developed the AR15, the Rifle length gas tube was 15.25"...   I am not the designer, nor the engineer on these platforms.  I'm just delivering information.  Eugene Stoner was the designer, and he developed these two platforms in similarity, but independent of each other.  They share alot, but the differences cannot be overlooked. 

Eugene Stoner had HIS REASONS for changing that gas system to a shorter length tube, when he went on to develop the AR15/M16, from his ORIGINAL design of the AR-10...  He's WAY smarter than me on that stuff, but that can't be ignored.  Many manufacturers these days are ignoring that, completely...

Here's the original thread, where I got into it:

It's here, havn't fired it yet, needs a longer gas tube, and I'll replace the gas block with an adjustable one at that time. Swapped out the trigger for a CMC 3.5 pound one last night. It's still wearing the 3.8 OZ buffer, as the H3 won't be here till Thursday.Anyone know where to find an Armalite carbine gas tube????

ATT00001ea524y.jpg

18 minutes ago, JMason5067 said:

Anyone know where to find an Armalite carbine gas tube????

Call Armalite - on the phone.  You will speak to a human.  It's OOS at DSG Arms right now, or I'd direct you there.  Talk to someone at Armalite, and I'll bet they ship you one.  :thumbup:

38 minutes ago, JMason5067 said:

It's here, havn't fired it yet, needs a longer gas tube, and I'll replace the gas block with an adjustable one at that time.

Keep in mind - if that gas port is too small - and I'm betting it's 0.070" gas port diameter, and too small - then an adjustable gas block won't do a thing for you.  It'll never let more gas through than that gas port diameter will, it will only restrict available gas DOWN...   You need to have a gas port diameter of 0.080~0.085" to run an 18" midlength-gas setup.  If you're gonna do the adjustable gas block anyway, just drill the gas port to 0.085" right away and be done with experimenting.  Dial the adjustable gas block down from there, if you want, but you probably won't have to.

Another thing - the only way to test an adjustable gas block is to run the thing Wide Open after you install it.  If you run it Wide Open, and it's still not enough gas to lock the bolt back on a single round in a magazine - then the gas port is still too small.  <<<  That would be on an operational gun...  You are on brand new hardware here...

Get rounds out of your gun before you start paying with the adjustable gas block.  This takes carbon-fouling, to seal a couple of areas - you must have a seal around the gas block-to-the-barrel.  You must have a seal aaround the gas tube-to-the-gas block.  Sometimes this might take 100~200 rounds.  The actual carbon-fouling-sealing happens alot faster than that, at a lower round count, but the whole bigass AR-gun needs broken in.  This is a good time to follow any barrel break-in procedures that you like, as well.  Shoot 5, clean the barrel, whatever you like to follow. 

:thumbup:

Edited by 98Z5V

16 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

This is a good time to follow any barrel break-in procedures that you like, as well.  Shoot 5, clean the barrel, whatever you like to follow. 

:thumbup:

It goes boom, bolt locks back, goes boom, boom, bolt locks back, it goes boom 20 times in a row, and the bolt locks back! Took the PA 10 out this AM, and ran a whole 23 rounds (Fed XM80) through it, no problems function wise, dropped brass at 5 o clock, about 10 feet from the rifle. There is a small spot at 8 o clock on the threading for the buffer tube that seems to be the bolt making contact, maybe quarters are needed with the 7 inch carbine tubes also?

20190619_111838.jpg

20190619_111844.jpg

20190619_111858.jpg