• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Reaming a one piece mount

I received my Vortex mount yesterday. I just finished .... I guess you could call it dry fitting the mount and scope to the rifle. Just loosely attached to make sure I had the height, eye relief correct and all that good stuff before i started truly mounting it. As I was thinking through the steps I needed to take to mount the scope, I started to wonder if anyone reams their one piece mounts as they might a set of rings. Do any of you ream your one piece mounts?

1 hour ago, Albroswift said:

I don't,  but couldn't hurt.

Couldn't hurt was what I was thinking. The torquing screw driver (1in/lbs to 50in/lbs) won't be here for 3 or so more days. I was thinking of ordering this: https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/sight-scope-installation-tools/scope-alignment-rods/scope-ring-alignment-and-lapping-kit-prod126532.aspx

It's just under $50. The videos I've watched show people lapping rings. The amount of contact before lapping seems to be in the 20 to 50% range. I've never done this before. The Hi-Lux scope/mount I have on her now is all one unit. All I had to do was tweak it alittle to get is plumb. I think I will order it. I should learn how to do this. It doesn't look complicated. It's coming from Brownells, so whats another 10 days or so.

Thanks.

'

1 hour ago, SimonSays said:

Couldn't hurt was what I was thinking. The torquing screw driver (1in/lbs to 50in/lbs) won't be here for 3 or so more days. I was thinking of ordering this: https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/sight-scope-installation-tools/scope-alignment-rods/scope-ring-alignment-and-lapping-kit-prod126532.aspx

That's the one I have, but don't remember the spring drill adapter? Have to look in the box...

4 hours ago, jtallen83 said:

Only one piece mounts I have lapped is a Primary Arms and a Burris, They were visibly off on the cap joints. Never seen a need to do the ADM or AADMOUNT. 

I don't see an uneven gap on mine, but I may not know what I'm suppose to be looking for. Thanks for telling me what you've experienced.

3 hours ago, Albroswift said:

That's the one I have, but don't remember the spring drill adapter? Have to look in the box...

Now that you mention it, the same kit (mfg # 633266) does not show the spring drill adapter, nor is it listed as an item shipped on Amazon, Optics Planet or Wheeler's own web site. I wonder if its something special just for Brownells? And it's only shown with the 30mm kit.

Edited by SimonSays

From the Q & A from Amazon:

Mine didn't come with a spring. Sorry...
By Jennifer Haight on November 21, 2015
My 30mm kit also came with this. I assumed it was for turning the lapping bar by drill. Not sure how good of an idea that is...
By Wayne on November 19, 2015
You screw it into the end of the lapping bar. Then you hookup your hand drill to the other end. Make the work much easier.
By Rudy Sandoval on July 23, 2017
I just got mine this morning and I also got the spring. My 1 inch set there was no spring. Ive already used my 30 mm kit with spring and drill, this is much better way to go. easy as can be. For you guys that never receiver the would call Wheeler and ask for one.
By Samuel Kissel on April 13, 2018
You tape it to the side of your scope and use it to measure windage
By John L on November 19, 2015

5 hours ago, jtallen83 said:

Only one piece mounts I have lapped is a Primary Arms and a Burris, They were visibly off on the cap joints. Never seen a need to do the ADM or AADMOUNT. 

^^^  What he said.  It all comes down to the mount.  I've never had a need to lap a mount from LaRue, either. I've lapped more two-piece scope rings than anything else (just two ring mounts to mount a scope). I've never had to lap any Warne Maxima Steel rings before (either the QD or traditional), and those are my go-to, but I've lapped others. 

22 hours ago, jtallen83 said:

Roger that...used a pair of centers and then a 30mm ground bar to check out alignment on my Aadmount and it was spot on.  Indicator zeroed on the bar did not even move when the rings were torqued to recommended specs.

It doesn't hurt to check all mounts & Rings , light lapping will show any out of spec or alignment issues . On one piece mounts , it would or should be bored in line , but the finish applied could have high or low spots , depending on the type finish applied . 

Top Rings should be marked to match Base Ring & orientation ,after any lapping or alignment .

18 hours ago, Albroswift said:

I just put the lapping compound on the scope and then ductape it to the chuck on my cordless drill. Spin it for 5 or 10 minutes while slowly torquing the caps,  good to go.  

LOL. That’s an interesting and unusual method. You forgot the link to YouTube showing that technique on an S&B scope😉