• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

SAUM build

Matt314

Hey guys just came across this forum and had to join.  I currantly own a dpms lr308, and it has become my favorite rifle.  However lately I have been thinking of building a 7mm saum upper but I am having trouble finding a magnum bolt and somone to chamber a barrel for me wondering if anyone here has any helpful information for me.

• 3 months later...

I'm in the process of finding the parts to build a 300 WSM.

Ordered a JP bolt, but it is backordered so I am on hold for now.

I will machine the bolt to fit the rim, then fit the bolt to the barrel extention, then fit the ext to the barrel.

The barrel is a new Rem 700 take off, so the chamber is already done, I just have to set the headspace when I fit the ext to the barrel.

I'll post more when I'm working on it

Hi,

I am doing a 270 wsm and 300 wsm AR project. I have a Win 70 barrel which has been machined, threaded barrel extension installed. Its looks great and would be ready to shoot but, only in a single fire shooting scenario. There is more metal around the bolt head than a bolt action rifle but the rifle barrel is to thin to sustain rapid firing. I have discussed this with 3 gunsmiths  and 2 told me not to use the barrel. I have 2 barrel blanks that will be machined to an AR barrel profile, this will/should increase the strength.

I have 2 rifles complete minus the barrels. Just want to stress the safety factor , magnum rifle cases can have 60 to 78 grains of powder exploding inches from your face! That Rem 700 barrel may not be the answer , yes it will work but more metal will be better.

I looked at a Armalite 300SAUM AR and this was the gun which gave me my inspiration. Camo'ed out with a 10 round mag.

Mike H

Hey guys just came across this forum and had to join.  I currantly own a dpms lr308, and it has become my favorite rifle.  However lately I have been thinking of building a 7mm saum upper but I am having trouble finding a magnum bolt and somone to chamber a barrel for me wondering if anyone here has any helpful information for me.

There are several companies who make custom AR-10 style barrels, most of them will offer any chambering you like. I'd say your biggest obstacle will be finding a suitable bolt.