• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Spotting scopes deteriorating

My scope was outdoors perhaps twenty hours it's whole life.  I opened it for my last range trip and I discovered the stickiness.  So UV in this case is not the apparent cause,  or so I believe right now.  I'll get the transparent matte spray today and do like Konus suggests.  See if that helps. I find it difficult to believe a short twenty hours in the sun would do that.  Left outdoors yes,  but in it's case and then inside it's box.  Thanks for all the help.  As far as condoms go if I can get my wife pregnant at 67 we're all getting CROM 500's on me.

13 hours ago, RedRiverII said:

My scope was outdoors perhaps twenty hours it's whole life.  I opened it for my last range trip and I discovered the stickiness.  So UV in this case is not the apparent cause,  or so I believe right now.  I'll get the transparent matte spray today and do like Konus suggests.  See if that helps. I find it difficult to believe a short twenty hours in the sun would do that.  Left outdoors yes,  but in it's case and then inside it's box.  Thanks for all the help.  As far as condoms go if I can get my wife pregnant at 67 we're all getting CROM 500's on me.

do work !!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

I got my Barska scope out of storage and it was very sticky.  It had never contacted any solvents or sprays.  I kept it resting on my 50 year old oscilloscope.  I tried several things but found that denatured alcohol worked the best.  It also removed all writing on the outside but at least it’s not sticky.  I found that it was necessary to move to a clean area of the cloth to keep removing and reapplying,

Mmmmm, Barska.... I bought a cheap pair 15x70mm Barska binos about 12 years back,  on sale for $70ish IIRC. Figured they'd be good enough for a leave in the truck set, inexpensive & not gut wrenching if  they got stolen etc. After a few months in the truck during  warm weather , they got a little gooey. After an entire winter, I went to use them & the glue holding EVERYTHING together had dried up. Focus wouldn't budge, pieces started coming off in my hands while trying to coax adjustments lol.