• Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

THOR TR-10- question?

kristian55

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The DD lite rail and Magpul PRS stock are good quality components, but how well the gun shoots will be largely determined  by the quality of the barrel, BCG and how carefully they assemble them. Why don't you contact them and find out what barrels they use along with the bolt carrier group. You should also make sure that the rifle is of the configuration you prefer, either, Armalite pattern, or DPMS/ KAC. If it's not available in the pattern you want it won't matter how well it's made.

To me it looks like they used expensive name brand furniture to spice up some run of the mill mil-spec stuff.

The forged receiver looks to be an Armalite clone. It even requires the funny grip wedge. The barrel appears to be a hbar with a standard vortex type flash hider. Judging from the lack of flare, I'm guessing this has a mil trigger too.

I'm a little set off by the fact they dont put up a price??

To me it looks like they used expensive name brand furniture to spice up some run of the mill mil-spec stuff.

The forged receiver looks to be an Armalite clone. It even requires the funny grip wedge. The barrel appears to be a hbar with a standard vortex type flash hider. Judging from the lack of flare, I'm guessing this has a mil trigger too.

I'm a little set off by the fact they dont put up a price??

OK friends.

It is an answer of representative of firm THOR:

"Yes, the THOR products come with a lifetime warranty. And, to be quite honest, there is absolutely no comparison between it and the Armalite or DPMS."

THOR TR-10 Rifle 20" with Rail System-$2400

.308 WIN

1:10 Twist

Magpul PRS Stock

Magpul MOE Grip

Daniel Defense 12" 7.62 Lite Rail

20rd Magazine

Troy Front and Rear Flip Sights

THOR TR-10 Rifle 16" with Rail System-$2250

.308 WIN

Magpul PRS Stock

Magpul MOE Grip

20rd Magazine

Magpul MOE Grip

20rd Magazine

Lowest price on a model

THOR TR-10 Carbine 16"-$1850

.308 WIN

Magpul PRS Stock

Magpul MOE Grip

20rd Magazine

As previously stated, it may or may not, be a high quality rifle. The information provided by the company offers little further information than was provided by the first link you posted. It states that it's a 1 in 10 twist barrel, but doesn't say whether the barrel is a stainless or chromolly barrel or if the barrel is chome plated, or what brand blank is used. The receiver appears to be an Armalite pattern forged receiver, but that doesn't guarantee what magazines it's designed for. If you want to use the Magpul mags you need to find out if it will accommodate them.  Maybe you can find a dealer that has one in stock locally and go there to examine it for yourself. $2400 is a lot of money to spend on a gun that you've never actually examined, or read any reviews on. If the company is making a good product they should be anxious to get them into the hands of testers in order to get some positive publicity. Maybe they can direct you to some third party evaluations/reviews on them?

Yeah, everything Jgun said...

No comparison to dpms and Armalite?? Is that a good thing, or a bad thing?

Who makes the barrel blanks? What contour is the barrel? What is the gas length? Fluted? Dimpled? Chrome? Stainless?

What hider/comp/brake are you using?

What trigger is being used?

Who made the BCG? Chrome? CWS? Fail Zero?

What kind of buffer system is being used? Heavy buffer? Flat spring? Hydraulic?

Are any of the features ambidextrous? Bad A.S.S.?

What kind of gas block is used? Low profile? Adjustable? Piston system?

Which charging handle comes with the rifle?

i think in short, the guys are just trying to tell you be careful with your decision. there seems to be some unknowns, and anyone can claim things their product can do. no one is dissuading you from buying but just be prepared to be a test mule. oh, and enjoy the prs stock. i find it funny that is the only stock option, even on the carbine. if it's what you want, then do it. i was the first here  to buy a pws mk 200 series rifle, and faced several unknowns, and i am happy and it's in the same price range. we just like to throw caution to the wind with unknown quantities. good luck and we expect updates and unbiased reports because this is the way we get the info out. <thumbsup> <thumbsup>

Here's the best I can make if this.

Knesek Guns is an international importer/exporter of firearms.  Thor Global Defense Group is a training company.  Knesek Guns (the gun brokers) partnered with Thor GDG for their training.  Hmmm.

As a training company, Thor is definitely not a weapons manufacturer, nor a gunsmith.  I might be wrong, but...

The Thor guns would obviously be a reciprocal of that gun import/export ~ training partnership, and the Thor guns are built from parts (or are actual guns) that Knesek Guns sells.

Somebody tell me if that wouldn't make sense. 

Knesek Guns: http://www.gun-export.com/

Thor GDG: http://www.thorgdg.com/

Either way, I don't see that particular firearm as something to get excited about.  Or any of the Thor firearms, for that matter.

Hey Edgecrusher, I noticed your post on being the first here to go with a PWS product. I'll give you that, but as far as I'm concerned PWS is an established company with a good rep. Now I may just be the last one to hear about Thor, but unless that's the case, I don't know if we're camparing apples to apples here. I think I'd be quicker to take a chance, sight unseen, on a PWS than I would on the Thor. I, personally, had great expectations for Kaiser and now I own an orphan.

I have relatives in Lviv Ukraine. Last time I was there I was led to understand that there were many restrictions to firearms ownership. I was also told that handguns were not available to the general public. Of course if your connected everything is available.

Hi.

Now there indeed are some problems with an import on Ukraine from the USA of ITAR.

But all of problems decide . Sometimes it is time and sometimes it is creation of firms for the export of weapon.

My first desire it is acquisition of rifle Kel-Tec 7.62 NATO-this problem decides time.

Question of purchase of rifle on a base AR10/25- it is a question of technology of delivery on Ukraine.

That now is on Ukraine from rifles on a base AR10/25- assembling of rifles a firm ZBROYAR from stuff RRA .223Rem.-only.

I build the rifles and it one of my new projects on a base AR10/25.

SGW bull-pup SKS-45      http://forum.ipsc.org.ua/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=5326

CBRPC bull-pup SKS-45  http://forum.ipsc.org.ua/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3631&start=175

XLR Rem.700 .308Win.    http://forum.ipsc.org.ua/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=5266

Hardness me to say as it will develop in the future - time will rotin.

I did not yet pass all of way .

Information ahead.

Apples to hammers!!! <laughs>  <lmao>

@Jgun,

Kaiser was way ahead of the curve for a small company. They didnt disappear because of poor quality. They made some bad business choices with JD Machine. I read somewhere that they were selling their design to a larger company. I wish I had the foresight to buy their left side charging handle.

I wanted the kr7, it was nice, but I was too late also. Back on topic,  you previously purchased kits, not whole weapons kristian. I don't think you'll legally be able to do that

I search the methods of purchase and postal delivery on Ukraine of rifle on a base AR10/25.

I am sure - I will decide this problem.

I think I'm staying on topic with this. When comparing companies in my other post, I was just trying to bring up the point that, unlike PWS which isn't likely to close up shop any time soon, the thor, even if it turns out to be a high quality product, could end up being a gun without factory support if the company were to  close. I may be 100% wrong here because I don't know anything about the company. Just saying that a lifetime guarantee isn't worth much if the company no longer exists. I brought this up thinking that the original poster should also take that possibility into consideration when going with a smaller, less well known company, and would be well advised to take a look at the company as well as the gun.

Good point  - in this situation, I think the OP is going to have to take whatever he can get.  Find a company that is either international, or skirts around the ITAR in whatever manner they try to do (or both) - that would have to be number one.  The follow-on is: what to they carry for inventory?  I have a hunch that's why this topic exists - this Thor rifle is the inventory available, under these circumstances.