• Visit Sportsmans Guide

THOR TR-10- question?

kristian55

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

As previously stated, it may or may not, be a high quality rifle. The information provided by the company offers little further information than was provided by the first link you posted. It states that it's a 1 in 10 twist barrel, but doesn't say whether the barrel is a stainless or chromolly barrel or if the barrel is chome plated, or what brand blank is used. The receiver appears to be an Armalite pattern forged receiver, but that doesn't guarantee what magazines it's designed for. If you want to use the Magpul mags you need to find out if it will accommodate them.  Maybe you can find a dealer that has one in stock locally and go there to examine it for yourself. $2400 is a lot of money to spend on a gun that you've never actually examined, or read any reviews on. If the company is making a good product they should be anxious to get them into the hands of testers in order to get some positive publicity. Maybe they can direct you to some third party evaluations/reviews on them?

OK friends.

It is an answer of producer of rifle THOR TR10 Your opinions and comments

Kristian,

These rifles are made to be MIL-SPEC. They have a chrome-lined barrel. Usually they are Krieger, or equivalent. They are made to accept any SR-25 style magazine. Anything that will work on an SR-25, will work on our's.

OK friends.

It is an answer of producer of rifle THOR TR10 Your opinions and comments

Kristian,

These rifles are made to be MIL-SPEC. They have a chrome-lined barrel. Usually they are Krieger, or equivalent. They are made to accept any SR-25 style magazine. Anything that will work on an SR-25, will work on our's.

Kristian, sad news, my brother - "MIL-SPEC" for a .308 AR is UNPOSSIBLE.  Cannot be achieved.  The reason is simple:  There IS NO MIL-SPEC for a .308 AR.  No MIL-SPEC exists for this rifle.

You have been lied to again, my good man.  <dontknow>

AR10(SR-25)...

Kristian, sad news, my brother - "MIL-SPEC" for a .308 AR is UNPOSSIBLE.  Cannot be achieved.  The reason is simple:  There IS NO MIL-SPEC for a .308 AR.  No MIL-SPEC exists for this rifle.

You have been lied to again, my good man.  <dontknow>

MIL-SPEC for a .308 AR.- It can be I wrong... you will remedy me and will specify...

My interpretation of answer of producerTR10-My question was put so THOR what cartridge can be utillized 7.62NATO or 308Win.- an answer was MIL-SPEC for a .308 AR.

....possibility of the use of cartridge 7.62NATO and/or 308Win.

What 98Z5V is trying to say is that there is no mil spec for the physical parts that make up Any 308 AR. Every 308 AR manufacturer has their own interpretation of design, specifications and tolerances.

What they are telling you is deceptive. They are stating a military specification that does not exist.

What 98Z5V is trying to say is that there is no mil spec for the physical parts that make up Any 308 AR. Every 308 AR manufacturer has their own interpretation of design, specifications and tolerances.

What they are telling you is deceptive. They are stating a military specification that does not exist.

http://www.americanrifleman.org/ArticlePage.aspx?id=2259&cid=4

MilSpec Criteria

Here’s the deal, and it’s very simple: Only rifles made for the U.S. military are MilSpec. For more than 50 years and through numerous iterations, experimental models and improved variations, the U.S. military has developed a detailed list of specifications for its service rifle. These “military specifications” are iron-clad.

MilSpec criteria include every aspect of the rifle, from the materials it’s made from to the treatment of those materials, the dimensions of components made from those materials, testing of these parts, wear and durability, accuracy, service life—every excruciating detail is specified.

Finally, and most importantly, a MilSpec rifle is approved by a U.S. government inspector. The inspection process assures that all rifles bought on a government contract meet the MilSpec and a related criteria called “military standard” or MilStd.

Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, I present you with the first piece of irrefutable evidence in the case of the falsely advertised AR. A manufacturer cannot claim that its AR is “MilSpec.” By definition, a MilSpec rifle must be tested and inspected by the government.

If that’s not proof enough, consider this: There’s no such thing as a civilian-legal MilSpec rifle. A MilSpec rifle is a rifle made to fulfill a government contract and, as of now, there are only three such “animals” walking around: the M16A4, which has a three-round burst-fire selector; the M4, which also is equipped with a three-round burst-fire selector; and the M4A1, which is a fully automatic rifle. These are all classified as machine guns and no civilian transfers can take place for any machine gun manufactured after 1986. You cannot legally own a MilSpec AR.

That criteria is only for military service rifles . The only 7.62x 51 NATO calibered rifle that in service for the US military is the M14/M1A.

There are sniper rifles out there & some in use for SPECOPS , but they are not std. service rifles, so don't fall under said criteria.

The AR's we build or buy as far as 5.56/.223 cal. are manufactured to milspec standards, they have drawings for that purpose ,that they go by.

The AR 308 is a different animal ,as has been said , there are no milspec criteria for them , it doesn't exist.

It is true we can not own a select fire version of the M4 ( at least a newly made lower ),but that's just a different configuration of the firing mechanism , the rest of the rifle is the same .

Most civi AR 15's are made to milspec standards.

Having a contract for a supplier of a small item isn't the same as having a dedicated print to follow for a main battle rifle.  Apples and hammers. 

SR25s only went to a few units, not Army-wide.  M110s in the inventory are more widely spread, but there's still nothing to follow, since it's a sole-source supplier, and it was based off a SOCOM request in the first place.

That criteria is only for military service rifles . The only 7.62x 51 NATO calibered rifle that in service for the US military is the M14/M1A.

There are sniper rifles out there & some in use for SPECOPS , but they are not std. service rifles, so don't fall under said criteria.

The AR's we build or buy as far as 5.56/.223 cal. are manufactured to milspec standards, they have drawings for that purpose ,that they go by.

The AR 308 is a different animal ,as has been said , there are no milspec criteria for them , it doesn't exist.

It is true we can not own a select fire version of the M4 ( at least a newly made lower ),but that's just a different configuration of the firing mechanism , the rest of the rifle is the same .

Most civi AR 15's are made to milspec standards.

"The AR 308 is a different animal ,as has been said , there are no milspec criteria for them , it doesn't exist."

Possibly on whole rifle AR10/25-Yes...

...but I see the detailed determination Mil-Spec for basic parts and details of rifle of AR10/25...  http://www.m-16parts.com/index1.html

Consequently rifle which has some structural features of Mil-Spec probably can be named Mil-Spec.

???

We beat the mil-spec thing to death and even over complicated it. To simplify there is no standard 308 AR design. Sure many of the rifles share common parts but all the manufacturers have taken creative liberties. We see tolerance and fit issues every day here on the forum and this is from well known established manufacturers.

kristian55 I think the bottom line result for you is this. If you trust Thor and the Thor-10 is your only option and you have no intention on swapping 308 specific parts you are maybe you are good to go. What would you change anyway.

Spare parts could be a concern because of lack of a standard

We are just concerned for you that this is a weapon we have not heard of the information is misleading and not as accurate as we would like.

While I don't feel a bashing is required, let's call it what it is. They are selling a (re-branded??) AR10 clone with fancy furniture at a competitive price... And just for shits and giggles you get the god of thunder printed on the side.

I sure the availability of the 308ar outside the US is lacking. If the Thor is the only one available, I say get it. You could do a lot worse.

This rifle may have milspec parts in it . Pins, springs ,detents ,receiver extention, grips , stocks ,just to name a few , can and are used in the AR 308.

I agree with Robocop1051 , if that's pretty much all ya got ,go for it , it can be made to function correctly if you come up with a problem .

Hell, just read some of the stuff we go through with these rifles.

The question is more or less a question of trust towards the builders. You have to decide if you want to take your chances with the components they're not telling you much about. You also need to ask yourself the cost of getting unsatisfactory customer service. If the product they ship you isn't up to your standards, it's going to be very costly to have the rifle shipped back and forth over so great a distance. Just something to think about.

While I don't feel a bashing is required, let's call it what it is. They are selling a (re-branded??) AR10 clone with fancy furniture at a competitive price... And just for shits and giggles you get the god of thunder printed on the side.

I sure the availability of the 308ar outside the US is lacking. If the Thor is the only one available, I say get it. You could do a lot worse.

"I sure the availability of the 308ar outside the US is lacking. If the Thor is the only one available, I say get it. You could do a lot worse."-YES,- choice of AR10/25 on territory of Ukraine for example in general it is not in a caliber

S/A.

For today I know two attempts of import on territory of Ukraine it is possibility from THOR TR10 and stuff from RRA( assembling a rifle will be made in Ukraine-It can be POSSIBLY).

I believe its previous stated to be sr25

Knight's Armament Company did not make that rifle - it's not the SR-25.  "SR-25 pattern," maybe - Armalite-type (or "Armalite-looking") upper and lower with a DPMS mag compatibility - that's basically the "SR-25 pattern," but there's a whole lot more to the SR-25 than that.   

Just tossing that out there, for clarification.  <dontknow>

Kristian - if that what you can get, then go for it.  The only "unknowns" in that whole package are the quality of the stripped upper and lower.  In a nutshell, that's really the biggest pieces of the weapons platform.  The only gamble you're really taking is on that - the manufacturer and finishing-manufacturer are truly unknown in the business.  All the other parts are pretty damn good.  For having NO other option (understandable, considering the circumstances), you won't do too bad with it. 

This has been going on for way too long, IMHO... 

Knight's Armament Company did not make that rifle - it's not the SR-25.  "SR-25 pattern," maybe - Armalite-type (or "Armalite-looking") upper and lower with a DPMS mag compatibility - that's basically the "SR-25 pattern," but there's a whole lot more to the SR-25 than that.   

Just tossing that out there, for clarification.  <dontknow>

Kristian - if that what you can get, then go for it.  The only "unknowns" in that whole package are the quality of the stripped upper and lower.  In a nutshell, that's really the biggest pieces of the weapons platform.  The only gamble you're really taking is on that - the manufacturer and finishing-manufacturer are truly unknown in the business.  All the other parts are pretty damn good.  For having NO other option (understandable, considering the circumstances), you won't do too bad with it. 

This has been going on for way too long, IMHO...

My suppositions for productions - to assembling of rifle of THOR TR10while such  .

Basic stuff is made a firm POF-USA.

I do not can while it to confirm, but see one, that a firm THOR has basic functions  possibility of trading in the rifles of type AR10/25 outside the USA.