• Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Primary arms black friday sale

Crimsonboat

3 hours ago, Albroswift said:

A well made comp

Speaking of that, and .300 Win Mag - keep an eye on Witt Machine.  That's where I got my brake from for mine.  The brake works wonders on that gun.

They do have a Black Friday sale that's still going on - 25% off.

https://www.wittmachine.net/custom-clamp-on-muzzle-brake.html

witt-machine-custom-clamp-on-muzzle-brak

3 hours ago, Albroswift said:

Put me in the belted magnum camp for elk, those critters are tough SOB's! We have killed them with everything from 308 and up, and bigger is definitely better. A well made comp and a Pachmayr Decelerator pad and the recoil is manageable. 

something to think about there have been more elk killed with 3006 270 and 30-30 then all the magnums combined in fact jack O'Connor killed everything in North America with a 270 and by todays standards very poorly constructed bullets Elk are really not tough if you hit them where they live in the Basket right behind the shoulder and dead center of the body I have so many one shot kills with that shot I can not count them and they don't run they just die! just like this one 376 yards and never took a step just went stiff and fell over look where the shot placement is... that is the key with elk and big mulies killed my once in a lifetime moose with a 270 and 130 grain Barnes never took a step

IMG_20171011_104231655 [1280x768].jpg

6 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

Speaking of that, and .300 Win Mag - keep an eye on Witt Machine.  That's where I got my brake from for mine.  The brake works wonders on that gun.

They do have a Black Friday sale that's still going on - 25% off.

https://www.wittmachine.net/custom-clamp-on-muzzle-brake.html

witt-machine-custom-clamp-on-muzzle-brak

Ahhhh! Too many wants, not enough moneys.

Another quick note on shot placement.  Until just a few years ago we were limited here in Ohio on what you could  use for the whitetail deer gun season.  Shotguns with slugs, muzzle loaders, and a few straight wall handgun calibers was it.

Back in the 1980's I started using a S & W 44 mag for deer exclusively.  I molded my own Elmer Keith SWC bullets as I very quickly found out jacketed hollow points aren't moving fast enough for reliable expansion on a deer. 

The first couple of deer I hit managed to go quite a ways even right thru the good stuff back of the shoulder and pretty well centered.  Then I hit a few not so well centered and they made quite a trip before I found them.

I decided to try moving forward and busting them thru the shoulders instead....bingo!  They don't go very far at all, and can't remember one making it much more than 50 yards before they crumble up.  The big SWC lead bullets bust right thru both plates and do a ton of damage along the way and hit enough good stuff in between for quick reliable kills.  I've lost count how many deer I took with my 44 mag before retiring it when Ohio started allowing rifles with straight wall cases for deer hunting a few years ago.  I moved to my 45/70 then to my 450 Bushmaster last year (added to the list).  Headed out here in a few minutes to see if I can put some meat on the table with it........Cliff

Well you are right about that Cliff R a four legged animal will not run far on two legs but for me it is all about the meat and I don't waste meat hitting a none dangerous animal in the shoulders or neck and I never make head shots learned that lesson early when I lost a 6 point bull because I shot him in the jaw... on wolves cougars and bears yes I will make the shoulder shot, but on elk deer sheep etc never.. for me it just makes to much mess with bone splinters and blood shot meat... but that is just me ...

I agree completely, and I hate wasting meat more than anyone.  However here in Ohio you need to put them down quickly during the gun season.  Hunting pressure is heavy and early on I had several really nice bucks that I plunked right thru the good stuff make it far enough to get finished off by another hunter on a nearby property.

That has NEVER happened since I started busting them thru the shoulders.  About 20 percent of the time they just crumple right up where they were standing.....

I also agree that Elk aren't that tough to kill.  I've not had one make it over 50 yards shot with my 45/70 using 300 grain jacketed hollow points pushed by a full case of RL-7 (2400fps).....Most went down right where they were standing!........

Edited by Cliff R

10 hours ago, Albroswift said:

Maybe the elk around are a little tougher. Or further away. Nothing wrong with any of the guns mentioned above, everyone has their favorites, but at 400 to 800 yard elk I'll take the magnum everytime. :cool:

I will agree 100% if you can shoot it, if you can put all the work in to your dope cards hundreds of rounds in the prone postion, off a bipod, bench whatever for me I found out I did NOT like 50 to 60 rounds a day out of a belted magnum it was not fun and that leads to not doing the work necessary to use a gun like that on a animal at 800 yards I will also say there are better choices than 6.5 CM if I had it all to do over I would have gone 6.5 x284 Norma...or the now gun 6.5 PRC.. but I am in so deep in CM that I will never look back when I set the crosshairs on a 800 yard target steel, flesh or mouse it is in trouble but it has taken me a little over 2 years to get there and about 4 grand in equipment....whatever you can shoot accurately and shoot often and enjoy it is what I would shoot... and of course shoot Barnes bullets LOL...good luck

I deer hunt with a 450 Bushmaster .  Here's a doe I shot about 5 PM today, never took another step, and why I started shooting them a little further forward.  Minimal meat damage, distance was about 90 yards.........Cliff

IMG_1263.jpg

IMG_4464.JPG

IMG_1265.jpg

IMG_1266.jpg

IMG_1267.jpg

Edited by Cliff R

Thanks and you are correct.

For the record my 450 Bushmaster is just siting on a PSA box, the only parts on that weapon from PSA are the A2 stock kit.  It's also not a clone, genuine Bushmaster compete upper I purchased shortly after they were introduced......

yes good shot you will always get less damage from a slow projectile than a fast one ,that is why 45-70 and that family is so good for close range huntingbut you shoot a deer there with a 300 win mag or 338 and there will be much difference... and also the bullet has a lot to do with it hence I shoot barnes to hunt lass meat damage..that doe will be some good eating....

Good to know.  I use the Barnes 175 grain bullets backed by 42 grains of Varget in my 308-AR for hunting in Colorado, and I think you mentioned someplace a while back no lead to scatter thru the meat, tks for that too.

I used to use my Marlin 1895 in 45/70 using a 300 grain bullet pushed by a nearly full case of RL-7.  That's good for 2400fps and flat gets it done for Elk or anything else I've dropped the hammer on.  Never had a whitetail deer take another step shot with one.  Moved on to the 450 Bushmaster for hunting here in Ohio and the 308-AR for out West.  I just LOVE the weatherproof design and "rugged" construction of those platforms, especially out West where going is pretty rugged and the rifle can really take a beating and a lot of exposure to snow, water, etc.........Cliff

IMG_3416.JPG

On 12/3/2019 at 5:50 AM, Magwa said:

I will agree 100% if you can shoot it, if you can put all the work in to your dope cards hundreds of rounds in the prone postion, off a bipod, bench whatever for me I found out I did NOT like 50 to 60 rounds a day out of a belted magnum it was not fun and that leads to not doing the work necessary to use a gun like that on a animal at 800 yards I will also say there are better choices than 6.5 CM if I had it all to do over I would have gone 6.5 x284 Norma...or the now gun 6.5 PRC.. but I am in so deep in CM that I will never look back when I set the crosshairs on a 800 yard target steel, flesh or mouse it is in trouble but it has taken me a little over 2 years to get there and about 4 grand in equipment....whatever you can shoot accurately and shoot often and enjoy it is what I would shoot... and of course shoot Barnes bullets LOL...good luck

+1 on the Barnes. Have you recovered any? I just started using Barnes Bullets last year, haven't shot an Elk with one yet. Like to see what they look like. The SST's I've recovered in the past lost a lot of lead at closer ranges. 

Beast.thumb.jpg.925682f925383610f27ae8fb363bf5b6.jpg

BAR 338 shoots like a kitten with the help of a nice sissy pad, custom brake,  and spits out a 185 gr Barnes  @ 3000+fps.

2119934731_Screenshot_20191207-084403_StrelokPro.thumb.jpg.37789ed639d89e5d009cf80b328a9bb1.jpg

It's somewhat rare to recover high powered rifle bullets from game.  Most I've shot pass completely thru no matter what the distance, angle or how big the animal was.

Here are a few I've recovered over the years.    From left to right Hornady 250 grain 450 Bushmaster bullet at 210 steps on a HUGE whitetail buck shot thru the front shoulders.

The second is a factory 338 Win Mag load thru a Bull Elk at apprx 400-450 yards.

I'm not completely sure about the 3rd bullet but I believe it is a 300 grain 45 caliber hollow point from my 45/70 and it came from a Bull Elk around 50 yards shot thru both shoulders.

If I am ever able to recover one of the 175 grain Barnes bullets from my 308 (unlikely one would stay in the animal) I'll make sure to post some pics of it........Cliff

IMG_1275.jpg

IMG_1276.jpg

Edited by Cliff R

I quit shooting lead over 25 years ago when I was Pioneering 7mm apollo and 7mm STW and 6 mm 284 the bullets at that time just flat out sucked for fast speed impact with elk bears etc they blew up I started with the flat based Barnes and never looked back and I have recovered 3 bullets in all those years 2 from elk and 1 from a deer shot at over 400 yards...hey like I said if you can do the work go get em... if you can not then find a caliber you can live with you owe it to the animals you will be shooting at... and good luck with either is is a great pastime learning distance but it takes lots of trigger and powder to do it...

Edited by Magwa