• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Primary arms black friday sale

Crimsonboat

I dont know if anyone else here noticed this or not but Primary arms has their 6-24x50 ffp riflescope on clearance from $899 to $540! Seemed like a killer deal to me and I've not read anything that wasn't glistening about them so I picked one up. I'm planning on getting a long range precision/elk hunting bolt action 300 WM at some point next year so this should be a good addition for it. Still waiting for the mail but if anyone is interested I'll let them know how it is. 

4 hours ago, Crimsonboat said:

I dont know if anyone else here noticed this or not but Primary arms has their 6-24x50 ffp riflescope on clearance from $899 to $540! Seemed like a killer deal to me and I've not read anything that wasn't glistening about them so I picked one up. I'm planning on getting a long range precision/elk hunting bolt action 300 WM at some point next year so this should be a good addition for it. Still waiting for the mail but if anyone is interested I'll let them know how it is. 

Why 300 win mag? be prepared to shoot 300 or so rounds through it to get it dialed in and dope sheets made before firing at a live animal over 400 yards they kick the $hit out of you  it is why i went from 7mm STW to 6.5 Creedmoor, 284 Norma is a better choice as well as 6.5 PRC......I shoot over 1000 yrds regularly it takes lots of rounds to work up dope sheets for warm, cold weather.. just something to think about

4 hours ago, DNP said:

I almost had that in the cart twice. The wife was eyeballing a set of pots and pans marked down to 800 from 1200. Told her to go ahead and was waiting for it to be done so I could justify it. She chickened out. Maybe next year. 

Oh I definitely had to sweet talk the wife. My justification was that buying it now would save money in the long run. 

51 minutes ago, Magwa said:

Why 300 win mag? be prepared to shoot 300 or so rounds through it to get it dialed in and dope sheets made before firing at a live animal over 400 yards they kick the $hit out of you  it is why i went from 7mm STW to 6.5 Creedmoor, 284 Norma is a better choice as well as 6.5 PRC......I shoot over 1000 yrds regularly it takes lots of rounds to work up dope sheets for warm, cold weather.. just something to think about

I considered 6.5 creedmoor for a long time but everyone in my family has 300 WM as their big bore hunters plus having the added bullet weight I feel will really help with the takedown capability vs 6.5. I understand that ballistically the 300 isn't the greatest choice for long range precision target shooting but I think it definitely outshines if you intend to be shooting at a living thing. As far as the dope sheets and getting it all dialed in for long range the only thing I'm worried about is the weather. I'm in Missouri but plan to be elk hunting in Idaho next winter. So I am not sure I'll have the chance to see what it does in cold weather before we head over there. But some long range shooting sessions are definitely in my near future. 

2 hours ago, Crimsonboat said:

I understand that ballistically the 300 isn't the greatest choice for long range precision target shooting but I think it definitely outshines if you intend to be shooting at a living thing.

It's a great, great precision long range cartridge - if you load it heavy.  I'm loading 225gr Hornady ELD-Ms at 2815fps at the muzzle, and the thing is still supersonic at 1800 yards...  but only with a 500 yard zero on it... No 6.5 Creedmoor or .260 Remington can touch that, at that distance...

1 hour ago, 98Z5V said:

It's a great, great precision long range cartridge - if you load it heavy.  I'm loading 225gr Hornady ELD-Ms at 2815fps at the muzzle, and the thing is still supersonic at 1800 yards...  but only with a 500 yard zero on it... No 6.5 Creedmoor or .260 Remington can touch that, at that distance...

Sorry, I should say pound for pound the 6.5 beats out the 300WM on paper (literally) out to what, 1200-1400 yards or so due to its flat trajectory? This is based purely off of others though as I have not owned either so my decision making process has to be based on other's experiences. But, I digress, it seems as though the 300WM is the cartridge for me. 

5 hours ago, Crimsonboat said:

Sorry, I should say pound for pound the 6.5 beats out the 300WM on paper (literally) out to what, 1200-1400 yards or so due to its flat trajectory? This is based purely off of others though as I have not owned either so my decision making process has to be based on other's experiences. But, I digress, it seems as though the 300WM is the cartridge for me. 

I've got my .260 Rem load up to 1500 yards supersonic, and it drops trans-sonic after that - which is pretty damn good.  No reason a 6.5 Creedmoor couldn't do that, too, or very close at supersonic max.  1200 yards for either of them should be child's play, with plenty of gas after that.  Neither one of them can topple a .300 Win Mag in that realm, though.  My .260 Rem drop-for-distance is very, very close to my Win Mag drop-for-distance.  They're almost the same.  In one gun, I'm delivering a 147gr projectile.  In the other, I'm delivering a 225gr projectile...   With similar drop-for-distance, the winner for me is the one that's delivering that "same drop" with almost 80 more grains of projectile weight - and ft/lbs of energy...   :thumbup:

I won't shoot that Win Mag all day long, though, even in a great stock, great recoil pad on it, and a bitchin' muzzle brake.  Not all day, no way.  I can shoot that .260 Rem for days on end, with no letting up... 

Different reasons for both, but both will always have a place in the safe...   :hail:

1 hour ago, 98Z5V said:

I've got my .260 Rem load up to 1500 yards supersonic, and it drops trans-sonic after that - which is pretty damn good.  No reason a 6.5 Creedmoor couldn't do that, too, or very close at supersonic max.  1200 yards for either of them should be child's play, with plenty of gas after that.  Neither one of them can topple a .300 Win Mag in that realm, though.  My .260 Rem drop-for-distance is very, very close to my Win Mag drop-for-distance.  They're almost the same.  In one gun, I'm delivering a 147gr projectile.  In the other, I'm delivering a 225gr projectile...   With similar drop-for-distance, the winner for me is the one that's delivering that "same drop" with almost 80 more grains of projectile weight - and ft/lbs of energy...   :thumbup:

I won't shoot that Win Mag all day long, though, even in a great stock, great recoil pad on it, and a bitchin' muzzle brake.  Not all day, no way.  I can shoot that .260 Rem for days on end, with no letting up... 

Different reasons for both, but both will always have a place in the safe...   :hail:

I wish I had the resources to do that at this point but alas, I can only get 2 guns this year and since the election is coming up I'm definitely building my ar10 and since I'm elk hunting next winter im definitely getting my 300 WM. Maybe some day I'll end up with a 6.5 or something along those lines. 

8 minutes ago, DNP said:

I think 98 is very much in support of your 300 decision. You’ve got the right plan...there’s room for more calibers down the road. 

Completely.

@Crimsonboat, you're already building a badass .308AR.  Next up for me would be that .300 Win Mag bolt gun, hands down.  That's SO MUCH MORE capability, right there...

After that, I'd just build a .260 Rem or 6.5 Creedmoor upper, for that .308AR lower that you're already working on right now - and shoot that one.  Over time, I'd just develop a dedicated lower receiver for it, and make it a whole gun.

This sickness never ends, man, just sayin'...  :thumbup:

2 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

Completely.

@Crimsonboat, you're already building a badass .308AR.  Next up for me would be that .300 Win Mag bolt gun, hands down.  That's SO MUCH MORE capability, right there...

After that, I'd just build a .260 Rem or 6.5 Creedmoor upper, for that .308AR lower that you're already working on right now - and shoot that one.  Over time, I'd just develop a dedicated lower receiver for it, and make it a whole gun.

This sickness never ends, man, just sayin'...  :thumbup:

Thanks a lot, after the 300 will probably be my bolt action cz .22 I've wanted but just keep neglecting. I figure that will be the last thing anyone tries to outlaw so no rush. But anyway, ya this .308 has been a long time coming. Planned on getting a scar 17s for the longest time but just couldn't justify it for the money but the ar10 industry wasn't quite there yet with all the options for the price they are now. So I waited a few years and honestly I'm glad I did. I'm super anxious with all these parts in the mail though. I'll be out of town for the next few weeks too so I'll have to wait to get you guys updates until I get back. 

Just now, Crimsonboat said:

Well crap, I thought this was my ar10 build thread. Disregard the ar10 talk there. 

It's all the same, at this point - it's all good.  2 topics ongoing at the same time, the natural AD/HD of the crowd here - we kinda combined them...   :banana:

I can talk .22LR all day long, too - that CZ is a good gun.  For that bolt .22 route, I went Savage FV-SR, so I had a great .22, 16" threaded barrel, and a trigger I didn't have to replace.  Put it in a Boyd's (old) TactiCool stock, went with modded bottom metal, and painted the hell out of it.  For Ruger 10/22s, I'm sitting on 3 of them that have been "quite" modified.  People don't understand - .22LR is a sickness, too...   :thumbup:

Everything 98 has said is true my point is and was that to get that 300 WM to the point where you can shoot it at a elk at anything over 500 yards will take 300 rounds minimum ,those rounds will be to work up your dope and then confirm it ... without confirmed dope you have no business shooting at a elk or bear or whatever to miss steel at 900 is a learning lesson to gut shoot a elk at that distance is a crime... and I know this from experience I have killed over 30 elk over 40 bears, 50 deer etc I have been doing this all my life, and all I was saying is shooting heavy loads from any magnum over and over sucks lol the 300 WM is a great hunting gun, just be prepared for the suck to get it where you want it to be for long range hunting.... and I live in Idaho.... I am 90% there with my Creedmoor and my round count is over 400 I used to shoot 7mmSTW but it was brutal to shoot 20 to 40 rounds a day....but hey maybe you are tougher than me ...lol in any event carry on and hope your hunt in Idaho is a good one... what area are you going to hunt?

Until I switched about 3 years ago to my 308 AR for out West hunting I carried a Marlin 1895 in 45/70 topped with a Leuopld VX III 1-4 power scope.  Everyone else in our hunting party carried big Magnums, 7mm, 300 and 375, huge scopes, etc.  I have recorded the most kills to date and nearly all of them have been less than 75 yards.  In all the years hunting out there I've only had one long shot opportunity and decided to pass on it and work my way in for a closer shot.  Two huge bulls came out of the timber about 500 yards above me and bugled and played around for a few minutes.  I was tempted to take a shot but decided to work my way up to them and get under 300 yards where I knew it would be money for a clean kill.  It was rough going and by the time I got into position they were gone.  Even though I knew my custom hand loads were up to the task at 500 yards (300 grain hollow points backed by enough RL-7 to get 2400fps) and I knew the distance and the sight dope I'd much rather plow one at close range and be skinning rather than tracking.  The next morning about 10am I shot a nice 6 x 5 at 35 yards.

I think folks watch too many TV shows where they show Elk just standing around for half hour or so at long range waiting for someone to set up on them and lob a round into the kill zone and he doesn't go 50 yards.

Long range shooting is risky.  Even if you get on target the energy left isn't nearly as great and there is a risk of hitting a little too far back or forward and wounding the animal instead of a clean kill.  Hunting is different than target shooting.  We can't choose calm days, may or may not have a suitable rest, and the animals very seldom follow the play book.....FWIW.....Cliff

I had a bolt action cz when I was a kid so it's kind of nostalgic for me. I bought my first .22 this year though. It's a heritage arms 6 shooter. I know, I've been delinquent. But I plan to rectify this as soon as I get the big ticket items off my list that are likely to get targeted for judicial action or at least get stupid expensive due to the election. 

1 hour ago, Cliff R said:

Until I switched about 3 years ago to my 308 AR for out West hunting I carried a Marlin 1895 in 45/70 topped with a Leuopld VX III 1-4 power scope.  Everyone else in our hunting party carried big Magnums, 7mm, 300 and 375, huge scopes, etc.  I have recorded the most kills to date and nearly all of them have been less than 75 yards.  In all the years hunting out there I've only had one long shot opportunity and decided to pass on it and work my way in for a closer shot.  Two huge bulls came out of the timber about 500 yards above me and bugled and played around for a few minutes.  I was tempted to take a shot but decided to work my way up to them and get under 300 yards where I knew it would be money for a clean kill.  It was rough going and by the time I got into position they were gone.  Even though I knew my custom hand loads were up to the task at 500 yards (300 grain hollow points backed by enough RL-7 to get 2400fps) and I knew the distance and the sight dope I'd much rather plow one at close range and be skinning rather than tracking.  The next morning about 10am I shot a nice 6 x 5 at 35 yards.

I think folks watch too many TV shows where they show Elk just standing around for half hour or so at long range waiting for someone to set up on them and lob a round into the kill zone and he doesn't go 50 yards.

Long range shooting is risky.  Even if you get on target the energy left isn't nearly as great and there is a risk of hitting a little too far back or forward and wounding the animal instead of a clean kill.  Hunting is different than target shooting.  We can't choose calm days, may or may not have a suitable rest, and the animals very seldom follow the play book.....FWIW.....Cliff

I couldn't agree more. I got a white tail doe this year with my 14.5 ar15 with a 1-6 vortex scope and she was maybe 25 yards away. I was somewhat hesitant about taking a deer with a 5.56 but I had such a clean shot she died literally within seconds. She tried to run for about 10 feet then stumbled and by the time I walked over there she was done breathing. The 300 is more of an assurance that the round will do the most damage possible in the hopes of having a clean and swift kill. The last thing I want to do is take a bad shot or maybe take a shot with a caliber with questionable lethality for an animal that size. But it's also because I like the 300 WM cartridge and have had experience shooting it from a young age and plan on using it not only for hunting but some precision shooting as well. 

2 hours ago, Magwa said:

what area are you going to hunt?

Its about 2 hours SE of Spokane. I have never been there myself but a Mill we do a lot of business with out there has invited me and the rest of our crew to come out and hunt on their land. Nobody was prepared to go out there this year but the plan is to make it out there next season. 

A 300 WM just about cuts a small whitetail in half, exit holes typically bigger than the bowl you had your soup out of last week.  Does a chit-ton of soft tissue damage and ruins a good bit of meat if you care about messing much with the front shoulders.

I still don't think you can kill one too dead, and good clean kills are better than hours of tracking.  I've shot one deer to date with 5.56, went about 30 yards and toppled over.  Not even that great of a hit, sort of quartering away and I hit back a bit too far, not to mention it was plain old 55 grain ball ammo, not a hollow point.

My go-to gun here in Ohio for deer is my 450 Bushmaster.   Not quite the killing power of my 45/70 but it's 100 percent weather proof and super quick back-up shots if needed (compact and lighter as well, plus DEADLY accurate.  Don't practice with it much as ammo is a bit pricey, but it will put 5 rounds nearly in the same hole at 100 yards if the jerk behind the trigger does their part.

Fired the group below back when I first put it together using factory Hornady ammo.  Bore sighted, two rounds at 25 yards to zero, followed by two rounds at 120 paces high/right, the next 5 rounds just low of center.  One of the most accurate systems I've seen without having to work-up a load for it.......Cliff

002.thumb.JPG.db8a8fc6ae79aec62ed1856b2a6d6e68.JPG

Mill property sounds promising.  I've hunted some up in Boundary County (last County North in the Idaho Panhandle).   Some of that selective logging leaves room for some longer shots.    The rest of the county is heavily wooded and can be hard to get close enough with the wolves having them stirred up the way they are further north.   They are playing havoc on the calves for both Moose and Elk.    Changing their patterns considerably too.   I live in a cabin in Boundary County out in the woods for about five months of the year.   Three years ago I'd see a moose about twice a month from the cabin.    In the last two years I've seen one.    This year I was on trails the wolf tracks were so heavy it looked like dog sleds had been through there.   

2 hours ago, Crimsonboat said:

Its about 2 hours SE of Spokane. I have never been there myself but a Mill we do a lot of business with out there has invited me and the rest of our crew to come out and hunt on their land. Nobody was prepared to go out there this year but the plan is to make it out there next season. 

Hmmm interesting .. that is my neck of the woods elk tag and licence will set you back about 550.00, nothing here is flat get in shape to climb some hills bring clothes for all types of weather could be 80 degrees could have snow or both in one day.... and remember the size of the gun does not mean anything shot placement is what kills elk so shoot what ever you can shoot well and have confidence in that will get you much more than power... good luck

+2, 3, 4 5 and 6 on shot placement when taking game.

Same with anything else, it's the wound channel and how much damage is done along the way that kills, at least quickly.  That is why I insist on weapons that make the grade for accuracy, and use good optics on them.

Deer gun seasons opens tomorrow, just stepped out back and fired 2 rounds out of my 450 Bushmaster.  Distance about 80 yards, not much of a rest, just laid over the gas grill on the back porch and touched off two rounds.....it always delivers.......Cliff

IMG_1261.jpg