• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

.308 AR Free Float Tubes, Hand Guards, Quadrails

imschur

Troy, specifically the MRF-308 - same system fits both Armalite and DPMS just with the inclusion of a DPMS-threaded barrel nut that's really an "Armalite barrel nut" on the outside.  If you have an Armalite, you order it and chuck the DPMS barrel nut that comes with it - you just mount it straight to your AR-10 stock barrel nut. 

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I'm having a helluva time trying to decide on a free float hand guard.  I really don't want a quad-rail and I don't know what I'd do with all of those rails if I had them.  I would like something that I could mount one, maybe two, 2-4" rails on and that will not trap a bunch of heat inside a closed tube.  Now hear is the kicker, the thought of spending $200 or more is just kicking my hind end all up and down the road! The Apex System (if it was about ½ the price) looks like exactly what I am looking for. I like that it has a sturdy, not ugly, eccentric clamp onto the barrel nut (as opposed to replacing it), but at $193 its making my tight Norwegian butt pucker.

3738_pd124272_th12.jpg

DocLarsen

I like that Apex handguard, but they look like they only fit the 5.56 AR models. I shot them an email about a possible 308 version in the future. I'll keep you updated on their response. I'm very impressed with how lightweight they are.

Would be nice if Apex came through with a 308 version. It looks like a MUCH cheaper alternative to the SWS E1 15" I was originally looking at.

You Wrote:

1. Just wondering how compatible your handguard is with the LR-308 or AR-10 format rifles.

2. I have noticed a lot of manufacturers making 15" rail systems. Is there a chance Apex will go in this direction? Maybe even an Ext. Rifle Length with Cutout, simliar to the carbine model???

Our Reply:

We are currently developing a 308 handguard and anticipate a release date on 11/8/10.  Please revisit our website listed below.

We manufacture for Blackheart a 14” rifle length rail system for the AR-15. Their website: www.bhigear.com     

At this time, the 15” 308 is not planned for production.

Thank you for your interest in the Apex Handguard System

Lisa Smith

Apex Machining Co., Inc.

Phone:  541-826-3713   Pacific Time 9-5   Mon. - Thurs.

FAX:  541-826-1476

Apex Handguard System:  www.apexcncmachine.com

• 3 weeks later...

Heres the update, and I'm in love. (identical to the AR15 design)

http://www.apexcncmachine.com/store.php?seller=ApexMachiningCompany&Tsearch=308&pd=3133549

Sorry for the link, I'm posting from my iPhone

There are DPMS and Armalite versions coming out. My biggest excitement is the super lightweight design!!!

• 2 months later...

Mrs Santa got me the LR-308 version of the Apex. The handguard does not come with a ff barrel nut, and it does not come with any rails.

On a positive note. This thing is VERY lightweight. It is also surprisingly slim. Almost like a 223. I'm very satisfied with this sexy little piece. Now I need to find a free float barrel nut to mate it to my rifle.

• 3 months later...

Ok so I ordered a DPMS carbon fiber FFT and somehow missed the fact that you have to epoxy the FFT to the barrel nut. It's not really a problem, but my question is what happens if you need to remove it to change a barrel, ect? Do you trash the FFT in the process?

Mrs Santa got me the LR-308 version of the Apex. The handguard does not come with a ff barrel nut, and it does not come with any rails.

From what I read on their site, it doesn't need a special nut. It said to just remove the delta ring. Did I miss something???? I was just thinking of ordering one but this makes me hold off.

From what I read on their site, it doesn't need a special nut. It said to just remove the delta ring. Did I miss something???? I was just thinking of ordering one but this makes me hold off.

I eventually installed my Apex HG. Don't let my old post scare you off. Remove the delta ring from the barrel nut and install the special attachement that comes with the Apex HG. Viola, you're done. The two piece HG attachment clamps around the barrel nut and hold in place. The HG then slides over the attachment piece.

I built mine from scratch, so I didn't have the standard barrel nut when I ordered the handguard. I love my Apex. I plan on buying another one for my AR15.