• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Anyone families with Faxon Firearms? Looking f

Rabbit79

Im looking for 800+ yards , thus 20" problems would only be in what one doesn't know, realizing gas pressure is a huge factor i will be altering should I need too, working with larger buffer weights and springs...RAINEER has the 20" Faxon Pencil for $247 at the moment... still digesting ! Keep em coming fellas 🤙🐰

6 hours ago, Rabbit79 said:

Im looking for 800+ yards , thus 20" problems would only be in what one doesn't know, realizing gas pressure is a huge factor i will be altering should I need too, working with larger buffer weights and springs...RAINEER has the 20" Faxon Pencil for $247 at the moment... still digesting ! Keep em coming fellas 🤙🐰

We, collectively, get together here about once a year to shoot together.  16" .308s can go 800 yards, accurately.  In full disclosure, the routine target is 850 yards, not 800 yards. 18" .308 ARs make a folly out of bangin target at 850.  20" is just more swing weight, and completely unnecessary - but it depends on what your goal is with this gun.  You've never stated what your goal is in this thread.  You hitting paper or steel, or are you going to hunt it as well?  What are the conditions/terrain where you hunt, if that's a factor?  Get the hint?...  Tell more details, on the desires and goals.  Spill it.

On 1/25/2020 at 7:02 PM, 98Z5V said:

We, collectively, get together here about once a year to shoot together.  16" .308s can go 800 yards, accurately.  In full disclosure, the routine target is 850 yards, not 800 yards. 18" .308 ARs make a folly out of bangin target at 850.  20" is just more swing weight, and completely unnecessary - but it depends on what your goal is with this gun.  You've never stated what your goal is in this thread.  You hitting paper or steel, or are you going to hunt it as well?  What are the conditions/terrain where you hunt, if that's a factor?  Get the hint?...  Tell more details, on the desires and goals.  Spill it.

98Z, thank you ... strictly a long range target rifle, I was in a face to face convo last night and I may just get another build going.. 16" or 18"...a retired chief sniper , has told me long range longer barrel...stability , swing weight yes if your standing, I will be tabled or grounded with my bean bag logs.... and for our 'dick' non-dick (no harm!) Pencil profile barrels according to reading and word of mouth.. weight reduction...and they sometimes have a 1% less crown...

Caio for now..

J

You don't build an accuracy rifle based on a pencil-profile barrel.  Check this out - alot of the commenters in this video think that this means that barrel whip like this is okay for an accuracy barrel, but they be confused.  Big time...

Hunting?  Cold bore shot is the most important?  Yeah, I get it. Building an accurate gun, for distance, from a pencil barrel?  Foolish.

On 1/25/2020 at 7:21 AM, Rabbit79 said:

I've set a budget of 290- I want 20" and I want for distance 800+yds.. distance ...

Since that's the goal, you need to research, and think hard about that pencil profile 20" barrel.  I'm not dogging Faxon in the least, and never would - their 16" midlength 5.56 pencil barrel is the very heart of my own lightweight 5.56 build - and it's a great barrel.  It's not for longer distance, though.

If 800 yards is really your goal, then you need to make the choice of whether you want some super-lightweight gun, or if you want an accurate gun at 800 yards.  It's kinds like the Machinist's Rules - you get options, but you need to pick what options you want.  Pencil-profile barrels and 800 yards aren't really one of those things that are gonna go together, unless you wanna drop a major amount of coin to a custom barrel maker - and most of those guys will tell you that they won't build it for you, no matter what you wanna pay them - because they have an accuracy or MOA guarantee.

You're trying to buy a new pet sloth, and train it to race greyhounds.

Here's what I was talking about, with Machinist's:

Machinist 1.png

Edited by 98Z5V

On 1/25/2020 at 7:21 AM, Rabbit79 said:

I've set a budget of 290- I want 20" and I want for distance 800+yds.. distance ...

This is under your budget, and will DEFINITELY get it done.  Call them, and find out when it's gonna be back in stock - keep in mind, they just expanded, and are moving into a new giant location, so some things are out of stock right now.  They're way cool on the phone.

WARNING - this is not a pencil-profile barrel.  If your goal is really 800 yards from a .308 Win AR, this will get it done.

https://www.ballisticadvantage.com/20-inch-308-gov-rifle-ss-premium-barrel.html

babl308006p-308-20-premium-1_3_1.jpg

Morning 98, super info... much I found out dining thru tons of reading ..I thank you for backing verifying what I read...

Honestly the pencil barrel just wasn't flying in my head , the long size , aluminum , 18" alum hanguard... she's got weight already...  im not at all worried about the fact I may have to hump it thru woods, 4wheeler for that haha... choirs gonna be set up, as I had my .223 table bipod or my bean bag logs for targets down range!

Thank you for the conversation, friend

Jay