• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

My PA10 project

ApexJunky

On 2/7/2020 at 12:15 PM, jtallen83 said:

Still curios if the bolt catch will engage the bolt and not just the carrier when hand cycling?

No, it did not. There is good news though! Just installed the sprinco orange and kak heavy buffer. It actually locks the bolt back like Eugene Stoner intended!

2578CD1A-EB03-4130-968B-85AE745BF2E6.thumb.jpeg.50a5b3ead7af818769d76fc230b49cbf.jpeg

D549EFF4-4896-40A3-BADE-52C8995C6FEB.thumb.jpeg.6defd0d25865a0c48497dfed03075170.jpeg

39497665-37B0-4D3E-AF99-273AC2E21847.thumb.jpeg.bc5bd34282495f20057756b3cb19e974.jpeg

70D2485E-BDFD-4B51-BD6D-A1EA95BBE671.thumb.jpeg.d81885f69920371e5adf669234d5dafb.jpeg

21 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

I just re-read this whole thing, looked at what Jim said earlier (that pic you posted up through the magwell, bolt locked back), and was coming in here to ask you if they stuck a 3.250" AR15 buffer in there...   :laffs:

Those stupid fuckers.

I have yet to remove the detention and run the RE in but will do that this weekend. There wasn’t any evidence of the bcg slamming the lower receiver but the round count for this rifle is only around 100. I decided to “un-fornicate” it (how’s that mod team? 🥰) before I tore it up.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

35 minutes ago, jtallen83 said:

Yep, no way that was happening with the AR-15 buffer in there. :laffs: 

It wasn’t even close. Suppose now that I have more BCG travel, I need to add a couple of quarters to help with preventing contacting the lower receiver?? I keep hearing this is an easy way to remedy this.

Edited by ApexJunky

11 minutes ago, ApexJunky said:

It wasn’t even close. Suppose now that I have more BCG travel, I need to add a couple of quarters to help with preventing contacting the lower receiver?? I keep hearing this is an easy way to remedy this.

Each quarter is 0.069" thick - one would do, since the internal depth on that is right on at 7.000".  :thumbup:

Next - shoot it.  Function test it with live ammo.  Put rounds downrange.  Start with a single round in the mag, and see if it will lock the bolt back.  That's the first test.  It's not going to, I'll bet. That gas port is gonna need to go up, so you might as well just take the gas block off there one time (maybe 2), so put the Armalite AR-10 Carbine gas tube in there when you're in there.  It's longer than an AR15 midlength gastube (and has the appropriate bends in it for a .308-sized barrel). 

Here's the gastube:

https://www.armalite.com/product/ar-10-carbine-length-gas-tube-10007005/

Edited by 98Z5V

4 minutes ago, ApexJunky said:

Ever driven in Baton Rouge? 😎

My alternate route to work in very rural and cuts through sugar cane fields. No witnesses, er, people to complain.

Been through it a couple of times in the past but not recently.  I have lived in Houston and periodically have to drive in Dallas, so I can relate to your pain.  I live in a smallish town and 2 miles from my office.  There's little traffic to worry about.

20 minutes ago, Armed Eye Doc said:

Been through it a couple of times in the past but not recently.  I have lived in Houston and periodically have to drive in Dallas, so I can relate to your pain.  I live in a smallish town and 2 miles from my office.  There's little traffic to worry about.

Just those damn trees...   :popcorn:

30 minutes ago, Armed Eye Doc said:

I lived in NRH for a short time and dealt with the crazy, Dallas traffic on occasion. Driving 85-90 mph in bumper to bumper traffic just trying not to get ran over at 2 am was an experience.

1 hour ago, ApexJunky said:

When you have the charging handle pulled back as far as it will go how much room is there between the bolt face and the catch? 

12 hours ago, ApexJunky said:

I’ll report on that later today.

You're looking for 3/16", if everything is perfect in the world.

Some fuktard over on THR stole that number from one of my posts from a long time ago, and think's he's a hero over there, acting like he came up with it...  :bitchslap:

Took the liberty of reading through a couple of threads there and yeah, they really like you over there 😁 FWIW, I take internet knowledge with a grain of salt. If I get some tech advice that fits my issue, I’ll explore it every time. It’s up to the end user to decide which route to take and, if it doesn’t work, bite the bullet and try again. In this case, it made sense that the 3.25” buffer and PSA spring combo was limiting the BCG travel. Followed some advice here and now that problem has been alleviated. 

Edited by ApexJunky
Emphasis...

• 1 month later...

OP, Little late to this post. The guys on here are way more experienced with this than I am, but i thought I'd add what I found while trying to fix my PA10. 1st my bolt wouldn't lock back on a collapsible stock lower. Compared it with the bolt catch on a fixed stock lower and found it was incorrect. Took PSA twice to mail me the right one. Second, using advice from the guys that are helping you in this post, I replaced the gas tube with an Armalite. 3rd, I did bandaid the gas port hole with and adjustable gas block, only because I plan on a suppressor in the future. I need to correct that. Then I replaced the spring and buffer. 

Question for the OP, what Midwest handguard did you use and did you have fitment issues?

• 1 month later...
On 4/5/2020 at 8:19 AM, Sldavenport1 said:

OP, Little late to this post. The guys on here are way more experienced with this than I am, but i thought I'd add what I found while trying to fix my PA10. 1st my bolt wouldn't lock back on a collapsible stock lower. Compared it with the bolt catch on a fixed stock lower and found it was incorrect. Took PSA twice to mail me the right one. Second, using advice from the guys that are helping you in this post, I replaced the gas tube with an Armalite. 3rd, I did bandaid the gas port hole with and adjustable gas block, only because I plan on a suppressor in the future. I need to correct that. Then I replaced the spring and buffer. 

Question for the OP, what Midwest handguard did you use and did you have fitment issues?

This is the handguard I went with:

https://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/product-p/mi-ar10ssm15.htm

• 1 month later...
On 5/10/2020 at 6:54 PM, Sldavenport1 said:

Great, thanks. Did it bolt right up?

Yes, I experienced no issues.

I am thinking of ditching the PRS stock and going back with an A2 stock. Guess it’ll be back to the drawing board with the buffer system.

You know what, I neglected to report that the rifle functioned without issue when I took it to the range. It doesn’t kick like a mule any longer. Had no problems with feed or extraction and the bolt locked back each time on an empty magazine. Never slipped off the bolt catch. I do not like the trigger in this rifle but I will leave it alone for the time being.

It was quite windy too!

B5AC3A82-6D37-419D-A328-ABA57299B2B9.thumb.jpeg.97e57b3f5ed755b73c90b3a1fbfce8e6.jpeg

7B134279-1707-41A4-8B74-B91BBFDA6CBE.thumb.jpeg.df3d8583c8c10ea76b848d1e648fa234.jpeg

2B150C26-7C4E-47D1-A569-B809F0F3B481.thumb.jpeg.a5667154b39cb803cad7d4719d90d8cc.jpeg

The best 5 shot group at 100 yards:

A47481C0-AFB4-4D28-A2F7-2E5176706815.thumb.jpeg.49ade7f6f9d9b78b6efdda16f7e12ad9.jpeg

The next best 5 shot group at 100 yards:

F7A76BC4-F884-4BFB-8381-6E462CDEABB9.thumb.jpeg.577e1ba5cf0608a7c02596ce16202c13.jpeg

Next trip I’m going to shoot off of the sand bags without the bipod. The shooter also needs some work and I need to put some blue locktite on my scope mount/rings.