• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Hornady Critical Defense 380 FTX Ammo

Cliff R

Just for fun I fired one round at apprx 25 feet at a gallon milk jug full of water.  I put a 2 x 8 behind to catch the bullet for inspection.  Just curious as to how well some of this high cost fancy ammo really does when it hits something soft.

The board had a very slight visible hit on it but hardly even dented it let alone tried to penetrate.

The recovered bullet was laying about a foot to the right of the exploded milk jug.  Expanded pretty well and uniform and would have done some pretty decent damage.  It was fired from my secondary weapon, S & W Bodyguard, primary weapon is an XDX 45 using 185 grain Hornady hollow points loaded to around 1100fps.

I'll test fire those next and use two jugs to see if I can stop one for inspection.........

IMG_1451.jpg

IMG_1449.jpg

IMG_1450.jpg

Yep, it shows how well they actually work hitting "soft" material, in this case just a plastic one gallon mild jug full of water.  It measures pretty close to 1/2" in diameter all the way around. 

This test also tells me that with a good well placed upper torso shot it would be unlikely that I would put anyone standing behind that person in serious jeopardy or at least significantly lowering the risk of collateral-damage.  Kind of important as we are responsible for every bullet we fire until it comes to rest......

Weather permitting I'll try to catch a  Hornady 185 grain 45ACP bullet today.  I loaded them with 7.5 grains of CFE Pistol powder which should put them close to 1100fps in a 4" barrel.  I'm thinking it will take more than one milk jug full of water and a 2 x 8 to stop one w/o damaging it.  I want the bullet to just make it thru the jegs and not get deformed by the board.  Should be interesting, I'll put up some pics when it's successful.

Left is a 230 grain Remington factory HP, right is the Hornady 185 grain high velocity handload.....

IMG_1414.jpg

Thanks.  Time permitting I'll be testing the 45ACP in the next day or so. 

All-in-all pretty impressive performance from the little 380. 

Never underestimate the stopping/killing power of small caliber weapons.  22 long rifle is one of them and in most cases penetration is deep and most of if not all of the energy is used on the torso without a lot of risk of collateral damage........

On 2/28/2020 at 8:02 AM, Cliff R said:

Thanks.  Time permitting I'll be testing the 45ACP in the next day or so. 

All-in-all pretty impressive performance from the little 380. 

Never underestimate the stopping/killing power of small caliber weapons.  22 long rifle is one of them and in most cases penetration is deep and most of if not all of the energy is used on the torso without a lot of risk of collateral damage........

This reminds me of the story of the gal in Chicago who went up to the beat cop and asked if he had seen her old man.

"No," he said. "Why are you looking for him?"

"Because the SOB shot me," she said, pulling her blouse open at the top. There were 3 bullet holes in her chest, made by a .25 ACP. She died later, but you certainly couldn't call any of those rounds man (or woman) stoppers.

From my own actual experience: I once shot a .25 ACP into a soup can (circa 1963). I was about 10 feet away, and I sent the can tumbling. I fetched the can and discovered all I'd done was dent it. Lesson? Don't use a .25 ACP on an enraged tin can ... it won't end up well for you!

Sorry about the delay for the .45 ACP testing.  It was quite a bit more difficult to catch one of those bullets without using something hard enough to deform it.

2 gallon jugs of water barely slowed one down, 3 jugs weren't enough.  It took 4 jugs of water and a 2 x 8 board to effectively stop one for inspection.

Pics are below.  Expansion was excellent and the jacket is well peeled back.  For sure penetration with that particular load would easily pass right thru a torso and possible collateral damage.

The bullets below are Hornady 185 XTP .451 hollow points.  They are hand loaded with 7.5 grains of CFE pistol powder.  The should be right around 1100fps and consider a +P load.......

IMG_1463.jpg

IMG_1462.jpg

IMG_1465.jpg

Edited by Cliff R

I would add here that I was working up a high-performance 45ACP load for Elk hunting out West.  We hunt in bear country and tired of dragging around the heavy S & W 629 44 magnum.  Going to be using my XDS 45ACP 4.0  instead, and wanted a good load for it capable of deep penetration plus good expansion.....I think I'm there with it......

IMG_1384.jpg