• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Gas Tube/Key Fitment

MiddleLuke

I put my 308AR together the other day. Aero receiver set, BA barrel with mid length gas. Today I was looking through some forums and found that to make sure everything is lined up, put the bolt carrier in with no bolt and slide it forward and if there’s any resistance then something probably isn’t aligned. So I tried it out and felt resistance when the key came to the tube. I couldn’t get a good view to see where it was making contact. Took everything apart and was trying to find what I did wrong. I notice the barrel nut is slightly touching the gas tube. I looked down the end of the receiver and the gas tube seems to be coming in Perfectly straight. So on a whim i took off the gas tube and seen how it fit into the gas key when not on the rifle. It’s here I noticed that the tube didn’t slide right into the key. It was some resistance. There’s like a mushroom head on the tube that creates the resistance. Below is a picture of the little bit it goes in before resistance starts.  So now I’m pretty sure that’s where I’m getting resistance. No the question is.. is that normal? Or should I get a new gas tube to install? 

56260DBA-B3BB-4DAC-8839-6C0ECFF0CE36.jpeg

8D139A20-BDDD-4F7D-B28C-ACEAC534BCC5.jpeg

I believe the "Mushroom Head" is designed to allow break in and good gas seal without wear or resistance on the tube. The "Mushroom" is the same diameter as the tube, except for where it is cut down couple thousands for the inch or two right before the "Mushroom". I would think a small amount of resistance should be normal, but I'm sure someone more expert then myself will come along and confirm.  

20190814_212202.thumb.jpg.aeea46a0132622934e4f30c30d395afb.jpg

Edited by Albroswift

11 minutes ago, Albroswift said:

I believe the "Mushroom Head" is designed to allow break in and good gas seal without wear or resistance on the tube. The "Mushroom" is the same diameter as the tube, except for where it is cut down couple thousands for the inch or two right before the "Mushroom". I would think a small amount of resistance should be normal, but I'm sure someone more expert then myself will come along and confirm.  

20190814_212202.thumb.jpg.aeea46a0132622934e4f30c30d395afb.jpg

Yeah, kinda what I thought but I’m in the same boat. 

Paint some dykem on the tube and see where it rubs, sometimes you can tweak them a bit. I have the best luck when using a tube specifically for the large frame AR, Armalite and White Oak Armament are two that I prefer. The large frame tends to need a slightly earlier bend to clear some barrel nuts.  

Anybody here ever buy a new motorcycle, and immediately take apart the engine, measure piston ring end-gap?  Check combustion chamber volume?  You buy a new bike and test the fuel pressure right out of the pump, if it's EFI?  You know, to make sure it's in spec? 

No, you buy a new bike, fill up the tank, and you go rip that thing.

OP, if you don't obviously have something wrong with your gun - then go shoot it.

10 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

Anybody here ever buy a new motorcycle, and immediately take apart the engine, measure piston ring end-gap? 

After following this forum over the last couple of years seems like large frame AR builders ain't up to the same rigorous QA/QC that Harley or Ducati uses :thumbup:

12 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

Anybody here ever buy a new motorcycle, and immediately take apart the engine, measure piston ring end-gap?  Check combustion chamber volume?  You buy a new bike and test the fuel pressure right out of the pump, if it's EFI?  You know, to make sure it's in spec? 

No, you buy a new bike, fill up the tank, and you go rip that thing.

OP, if you don't obviously have something wrong with your gun - then go shoot it.

Let's go one step further, rack the BCG about 100 times. This will prep the metal surfaces then lube up your BCG really good and shoot it ! 

14 hours ago, MiddleLuke said:

@98Z5V @Sharpshooter Enough said! I’ll give it a whirl, didn’t need much convincing. I appreciate the input 98. 

Yep, go rip it up, man, see what it does.  If something happens during break-in, try to gather as many details as you can, report them back.  There's nothing that we can't figure out, that's for sure.  :thumbup:

Edited by 98Z5V