• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Picked up a stray

Boot_Scraper

Welp, I been hankering for a short barrel bolt gun. Liked the Remington 700 Tactical in the 16.5" flavor. Found a good deal on one but let it slip. Then the Ruger Hunter caught my eye for a second. I love the feel of the Magpul Hunter stocks and the Ruger comes with it.

As fate would have it, a Savage Model 10PT just so happened to show up on my phone. Figured this would be a great deal and quench my want for a new bolt gun. 308, 18 inch heavy barrel, 1.5 lb trigger<--- almost scary. I plan on adding the Magpul hunter stock when they become available the summer. 

Anybody have thoughts on the Savage Model 10? Good, bad, or ugly?

20200405_201345.thumb.jpg.c921602e827b49d69ba6c8bd9069f13b.jpg

1 hour ago, Boot_Scraper said:

Welp, I been hankering for a short barrel bolt gun. Liked the Remington 700 Tactical in the 16.5" flavor. Found a good deal on one but let it slip. Then the Ruger Hunter caught my eye for a second. I love the feel of the Magpul Hunter stocks and the Ruger comes with it.

As fate would have it, a Savage Model 10PT just so happened to show up on my phone. Figured this would be a great deal and quench my want for a new bolt gun. 308, 18 inch heavy barrel, 1.5 lb trigger<--- almost scary. I plan on adding the Magpul hunter stock when they become available the summer. 

20200405_201345.thumb.jpg.c921602e827b49d69ba6c8bd9069f13b.jpg

The Model 10 is great kit bro!

1 hour ago, Boot_Scraper said:

Savage makes great bolt guns, brother - you did well with that one.  That should have the Savage Accu-Trigger in it, which is a trigger "that doesn't need to be replaced." 

I began to tinker with my new(to me) rifle and tried to chamber one of my hand loads. Bolt would not close. No biggie. These round have had the shoulder bumped back 0.005" from fire form in a different rifle. I understand that they may not chamber in this one. I also noticed markings on the bullet from the throat of the chamber. So for shitz and kicks I wanted to see where the lands start with this particular projectile. Using my "Bubba" COAL gauge (sized 308 case with slots cut into the mouth), I got a much shorter distance to the land than my other 308's. So I kept going. I tried my Clymer "GO" headspace gauge. That sucker will not go into battery. Are these Savages (hehehe) known for having a tight chamber? Do I need to be concerned? 

Factory rounds chambered just fine. Even some of my handloads chambered, but not all. 

The plan is to fire form some factory rounds and go from there. 

Just now, shooterrex said:

Yes they are known for tight Chambers. The barrel nut let's the factory set the headspace on each rifle. Part of why they shoot so we'll.

👍 Got you. I was impressed when I noticed the bolt was etched with the SN of the rifle. One barrel, one bolt... 

• 1 year later...