• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Hello from Oregon

Rparrish

7 hours ago, Rparrish said:

Just got off the phone with a guy named Glenn. Very cool guy to talk with.  Unfortunately,  he was not able to find my exact serial number in their old excel data sheets. He estimated my rifle to be a late 90's to very early 2000 model.

Clinton AWB Ban Era for the lower, so it was probably built, not bought as a whole gun, factory rifle. 1994~2004, Brady Bill on handguns started a year earlier.

Clinton AWB was rough. Everything had a detachable magazine, because that's what all ARs had then.  Everything had a pistol grip, because that's what all ARs had then. If you had a detachable mag, then you COULD NOT HAVE TWO of these features, or it was an "Assault Weapon."

Pistol Grip - again, all ARs had them.

Folding or telescoping stock.

Bayonet mount.

Flash hider OR threaded barrel designed to accommodate one.

Grenade Launcher.

Since all ARs had detachable mags, and pistol grips, everything else was not legal. No threaded barrels were sold, no M16 (or variant) front sight bases were sold with bayonet mounts on them, and there were zero collapsible stocks - the Carbine stocks were gone for Ban-Era guns. Oh, and those pesky Grenade Launchers.

So, you have a threaded barrel with a pinned muzzle device, you have a collapsible (MagPul) stock on a carbine recoil system, and it's hard to tell from the only full-rifle pic you provided if you have a bayonet lug (that light is in the way, the way it mounts). 

Chances are very, very high - that this isn't a factory-built rifle, not from that timeframe.  Pretty good reason why the Armalite guy can't find all the details on that specific serial number, too.

Edited by 98Z5V

1 hour ago, 98Z5V said:

Clinton AWB Ban Era for the lower, so it was probably built, not bought as a whole gun, factory rifle. 1994~2004, Brady Bill on handguns started a year earlier.

Clinton AWB was rough. Everything had a detachable magazine, because that's what all ARs had then.  Everything had a pistol grip, because that's what all ARs had then. If you had a detachable mag, then you COULD NOT HAVE TWO of these features, or it was an "Assault Weapon."

Pistol Grip - again, all ARs had them.

Folding or telescoping stock.

Bayonet mount.

Flash hider OR threaded barrel designed to accommodate one.

Grenade Launcher.

Since all ARs had detachable mags, and pistol grips, everything else was not legal. No threaded barrels were sold, no M16 (or variant) front sight bases were sold with bayonet mounts on them, and there were zero collapsible stocks - the Carbine stocks were gone for Ban-Era guns. Oh, and those pesky Grenade Launchers.

So, you have a threaded barrel with a pinned muzzle device, you have a collapsible (MagPul) stock on a carbine recoil system, and it's hard to tell from the only full-rifle pic you provided if you have a bayonet lug (that light is in the way, the way it mounts). 

Chances are very, very high - that this isn't a factory-built rifle, not from that timeframe.  Pretty good reason why the Armalite guy can't find all the details on that specific serial number, too.

He did ask if it had a white emblem stamped on the front of the magwell and I advised him it did.  He said that indicated that it was an Eagle lower which was a factory built gun when it left them. 

Mine is a five digit serial number and apparently he wasn't able to find anything that far back on his excel files.  What is strange is that when I first called after buying the rifle,  the person i spoke with was able to find everything on it and his description of the rifle was spot on.

I had originally asked if it was a T series barrel and he said no, just indicated that it was a stainless steel barrel with an A2 upper.  It is a ban era rifle for sure and does not have a bayonet lug. Back in the late 90's to early 2000, how many other manufacturers sold Armalite pattern barrels and other parts for the AR-10? I didn't think anybody aside from Stoner were making AR-10 pattern rifles?

I'll help this out some.  Clicking the links is a pain.  Here's what he ^^^ posted above.

OO04DvF.jpg

4bFT1cx.jpg

e4EimQw.jpg

2 hours ago, Rparrish said:

He did ask if it had a white emblem stamped on the front of the magwell and I advised him it did.  He said that indicated that it was an Eagle lower which was a factory built gun when it left them. 

Mine is a five digit serial number and apparently he wasn't able to find anything that far back on his excel files.  What is strange is that when I first called after buying the rifle,  the person i spoke with was able to find everything on it and his description of the rifle was spot on.

I had originally asked if it was a T series barrel and he said no, just indicated that it was a stainless steel barrel with an A2 upper.  It is a ban era rifle for sure and does not have a bayonet lug. Back in the late 90's to early 2000, how many other manufacturers sold Armalite pattern barrels and other parts for the AR-10? I didn't think anybody aside from Stoner were making AR-10 pattern rifles?

The Eagle lower that was a factory built gun - this gun isn't.  Almost every ban era gun had that detachable mag (couldn't get around that, then) and the pistol grip (very hard to get around that, then) - hence, any other thing on that list I posted above wasn't allowed - and barrels didn't have threads on the end of them.

My point is this, and it's simple - this gun has be re-worked, and probably after the Ban Era sunset.  There's no telling what it is, unless you have documented records of every parts change (that had to occur) after the 2004 sunset.

I actually installed the Armalite collapsible stock assembly and railed handguards after buying it. It had the A2 stock and standard handguards on it.

Thanks for your help trying to figure this rifle out. I had thought that the permanent attached muzzle device was a factory thing similar to the ban era T series carbine I used to have during those screwy years.  It shoots well and I'm happy with it and will not sell this one off.

• 2 weeks later...