• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

PT1911 hammer/trigger issue?

dpete

I've got a PT1911 that has developed an intermittent firing issue.  It will go through several mags flawlessly then suddenly in mid mag when you try to pull the trigger it doesn't move and the hammer doesn't fall.  Thumb safety is off, grip is tight on grip safety, and hammer seems to be fully back. Drop the mag, rack the slide to empty the gun then attempt to pull the trigger and same thing.  By accident I found that pulling the trigger then flicking the hammer backwards and releasing it will usually clear the blockage.  I have yet to have it happen while dry firing the empty gun and hand racking the slide while dry firing.  Do any of you 1911 gurus have any idea what may be going on?

My best guess is you have something in the action between the trigger bow and sear. Just a piece of dirt etc. Could also be the grip safety is worn a bit and not getting out of the way so the trigger bow can release the sear. I don't know if you know how to take those parts out of the gun or not. It's not that hard. Mosin virus over on full30.com has videos on building 1911's.

Does the pt1911 have the same safety as the colt series 80? I hated that safety feature and removed it from my colt. Could be something amiss with the firing pin block. Or something with the half cock feature. I have read of several probs with the safety. I think most have been due to mim  parts. If you are thinking of sending it in I would send it to a good smith instead of taurus.

1 hour ago, Radioactive said:

Does the pt1911 have the same safety as the colt series 80?

I have no idea.  I've done the basic disassembly for cleaning and polishing the feed ramps but I haven't been inside to any of the moving parts of the fire control.  That is not to say that I wouldn't be against any exploratory to see what might be going on.   I just don't like the idea of taking something apart and not knowing how it all goes back together again.

That would be tough to diagnose without having the pistol in my hands! Usually, if the trigger won't go back it's hanging up on the grip safety. I've seen grip safeties that were fit so close that at times the hammer stirrup wouldn't clear the grip safety tab but at other times it would.

If the hammer moves back but the sear isn't releasing then there's an issue between the sear and disconnector, usually it's the disconnector not resetting properly due to not enough tension on the center leg of the sear spring.

Another thing to check would be to make sure the trigger has returned to it's forward position when it does this by manually pulling it forward. The trigger travel is so short in these pistols the trigger may not have even reset and you're not aware of it.

3 hours ago, 392heminut said:

That would be tough to diagnose without having the pistol in my hands! Usually, if the trigger won't go back it's hanging up on the grip safety. I've seen grip safeties that were fit so close that at times the hammer stirrup wouldn't clear the grip safety tab but at other times it would.

If the hammer moves back but the sear isn't releasing then there's an issue between the sear and disconnector, usually it's the disconnector not resetting properly due to not enough tension on the center leg of the sear spring.

Another thing to check would be to make sure the trigger has returned to it's forward position when it does this by manually pulling it forward. The trigger travel is so short in these pistols the trigger may not have even reset and you're not aware of it.

As far as I know the hammer goes back fully each time.  With the pistol empty and the hammer hung up with the trigger pulled I can flick the hammer to the rear and release it and it will then go forward and hit the firing pin.

• 1 month later...

The PT 1911 has that unsavory feature, the “immobilizer” that renders the pistol unfireable. It is a small hex screw just below the hammer. Have you checked to see if that has loosened and become partially engaged? It was designed so you could render the weapon inoperable to prevent accidental discharges. It is a PITA feature of more modern Taurus’s and about the only thing about my PT1911 I don’t like. 
The other common issue with the PT1911’s is the safety. They are kind of cheap, loose and  junky on an otherwise well made pistol. I might look at that as the second culprit if the hex  screw is not engaged.

Edited by Sisco