• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Newb DPMS questions

PoolShark84

I'll start off by saying this is my first EVER rifle build and, my online forum experience is ZILCH! Sorry in advance for any etiquette standards broken. On to the fun part (to me anyway):

I've started an Aero M5 .308 (pistol/maybe rifle with pin and weld) build and the parts list gets more confusing by the day. I'd love to stay under 8lbs without mag/optics.

My concerns are reliability. It won't start off sporting a can, but I expect to have one in the near future, be it a form1 or form 4. So, a muzzle with a QD is a must; preferably something to tame the beast a little, while keeping it somewhat a level shooter. 

So far I've only purchased the Aero reciever set, Aero .308 LPK, SSA FCG and the LMT extended buffer tube setup (H3 buffer kit). 

Next are my big purchases that have me scratching my head. I was told by a LGS to try to buy a barrel and BCG from the same manufacturer. So with that being said, I wanted to go LMT on the barrel and BCG. But, as you all know, they aren't compatible with the M5 dpms pattern. Yup, newb!! Having read through some of these posts, I feel like I'll be encountering problems along the way (gas tube/buffer/reciprocating weight etc). 

Just looking to get some insight on decent to high quality setups that WORK..... somewhat like the 13.5" LMT, that I probably should've just bought as a unit. But, I'm tired of buying complete firearms, and want to build one of my own. 

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, PoolShark84 said:

I'd love to stay under 8lbs without mag/optics.

Possible. No mag, no optics.  Tough, though.  It's not a small gun. 

Go rip up the Intro Section, and tell us all about yourself.  Including the state that you live in.  That matters.

Edited by 98Z5V

2 minutes ago, PoolShark84 said:

Good call! Heading there now. 

Looking forward to it.

What's your primary and secondary purposes, for this gun?  What to you want to do with it, and what do you want it to do for you?

What's your goal for this gun?

12 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

Looking forward to it.

What's your primary and secondary purposes, for this gun?  What to you want to do with it, and what do you want it to do for you?

What's your goal for this gun?

Primary purpose would be CQB, secondary purpose would be to reach out with a quality LPVO and make it sting a bit more than an AR15 build. While I do love the 300 BO platform, I really want something with more THUMP at range, and the 300 doesn't do it for me. "What can IT do for me"? It can cycle smoothly with and without a can. Lol. Once the can gets here, it'll most likely live on it, though. It will definitely be a range toy until SHTF. I feel safe with the 300 as home protection, but bugout situation, not so much. I want something with more power that can stretch it's legs rather well. 

You're a Free State, North Carolina boy - let's get this on.

You'd be surprised how many people from Cali, or New York, or New Jersey, or whatever gun-hating state - show up here, ask for advice, and never mention where they are from.  They want to know about 40-round mags, drums, whatever - that they can't even own in the first place.  Never state where they're from, in the first place - but they expect advice. 

Even Canadians...  :bitchslap:  "I want to build "xxx" and need to know what parts I need?..." 

Where you from, bro?

Canada, Eh!... 

WTF...  This is a United Stated-based board, most of us don't know shiit about Canadian Gun Laws.  So, Stupid question based on not enough information in the first place.  As a side note, we have a few Canadians on this board that are very friendly, VERY knowledgeable, and REALLY KNOW Canadian Gun Laws.  Eric is a sweetheart, also.  I like him.   ❤️

Hope you understand the quest for information about YOU...  It only makes sense, when you lok at it from the other side - the information side. 

2 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

You're a Free State, North Carolina boy - let's get this on.

You'd be surprised how many people from Cali, or New York, or New Jersey, or whatever gun-hating state - show up here, ask for advice, and never mention where they are from.  They want to know about 40-round mags, drums, whatever - that they can't even own in the first place.  Never state where they're from, in the first place - but they expect advice. 

Even Canadians...  :bitchslap:  "I want to build "xxx" and need to know what parts I need?..." 

Where you from, bro?

Canada, Eh!... 

WTF...  This is a United Stated-based board, most of us don't know shiit about Canadian Gun Laws.  So, Stupid question based on not enough information in the first place.  As a side note, we have a few Canadians on this board that are very friendly, VERY knowledgeable, and REALLY KNOW Canadian Gun Laws.  Eric is a sweetheart, also.  I like him.   ❤️

Hope you understand the quest for information about YOU...  It only makes sense, when you lok at it from the other side - the information side. 

Free State. Lmfao. I'm glad you think so! I feel like the more I read about gun laws in NC the more I'm ready to jump ship. I will admit, it's better than most places. But, I still feel smothered. 

1 minute ago, PoolShark84 said:

Primary purpose would be CQB, secondary purpose would be to reach out with a quality LPVO and make it sting a bit more than an AR15 build. While I do love the 300 BO platform, I really want something with more THUMP at range, and the 300 doesn't do it for me. "What can IT do for me"? It can cycle smoothly with and without a can. Lol. Once the can gets here, it'll most likely live on it, though. It will definitely be a range toy until SHTF. I feel safe with the 300 as home protection, but bugout situation, not so much. I want something with more power that can stretch it's legs rather well. 

12.5" 6.5 Grendel, then.  That does both the things that you're asking of it.  Small and maneuverable for the "house-ops" and will still go 850 yards with proper shooting.  OVer-penetration isn't severe, in a house, and plasterboard and 2x4s...  .308 Win is WAY TOO MUCH for clearing a house.  Rule that out, if that's really an intended goal - it'll go through the first room, second room, third room, exit the house - and might stop in your neighbor's house.  If you're lucky. 

There's a lawyer attached to every round you fire.  .308 Win is not a Home Defense caliber.

Maybe you need to build multiple "other" guns, instead.  I'm just sayin'... 

I think what I highlighted in red above is what you're really after.  Tell me I'm wrong.

^^^  As you can see from that response - we're definitely NOT caliber-snobs here.  We're very goal-oriented.  You need a gun to do a certain thing - and maybe it can do another thing, too.  There's no gun, or caliber, that does everything.  We love them all - and we, collectively, own them all. 

Yeah, for real.  All of them...  :laffs:

12.5" 6.5 Grendel, then.  That does both the things that you're asking of it.  Small and maneuverable for the "house-ops" and will still go 850 yards with proper shooting.  OVer-penetration isn't severe, in a house, and plasterboard and 2x4s...  .308 Win is WAY TOO MUCH for clearing a house.  Rule that out, if that's really an intended goal - it'll go through the first room, second room, third room, exit the house - and might stop in your neighbor's house.  If you're lucky. 

There's a lawyer attached to every round you fire.  .308 Win is not a Home Defense caliber.

Maybe you need to build multiple "other" guns, instead.  I'm just sayin'... 

I think what I highlighted in red above is what you're really after.  Tell me I'm wrong.

Nope, you're not wrong at all. I feel that my 300 will take care of "house duties" if needed. 

1 minute ago, 98Z5V said:

^^^  As you can see from that response - we're definitely NOT caliber-snobs here.  We're very goal-oriented.  You need a gun to do a certain thing - and maybe it can do another thing, too.  There's no gun, or caliber, that does everything.  We love them all - and we, collectively, own them all. 

Yeah, for real.  All of them...  :laffs:

My wallet is starting to realize that 🤣 I've went from wasting money on cars, to stacking boomsticks. 

Nope, you're not wrong at all. I feel that my 300 will take care of "house duties" if needed. 

But, that 300BLK isn't dialing a scope and punching an 850-yard target...   That was my point.  Want a gun that can clear a house, not major over-penetration, and punch 850?  It's a 12.5" Grendel gun. 

One of the reasons we ask for expectations.  You came here for .308 info, and you got Grendel info.  We don't suck - we can get it right sometimes.  :thumbup:

6 minutes ago, PoolShark84 said:

My wallet is starting to realize that 🤣 I've went from wasting money on cars, to stacking boomsticks. 

You stumbled into the WAY WRONG PLACE for wallet-preservation.  I'm just sayin'...   :lmao:

Right about now is when "OH SHIIT!" kicks in...  :banana:

Edited by 98Z5V

1 minute ago, 98Z5V said:

You stumbled into the WAY WRONG PLACE for wallet-preservation.  I'm just sayin'...   :lmao:

So what you're really saying is go 18"+ on the .308 and start another build? 🙃 I'm liking this so far. But, I have heard your argument against the SBR .308, though it was in a Facebook group. 

Not gonna lie, this video alone made me want a 13.5" .308. I know this guy is one hell of a shot, but damn that's impressive with the .308. I should've just bought an LMT, but I swore i would build my own rifle next. 

Shooting starts at 12:00

https://youtu.be/WX1kNtalmFw

Edited by PoolShark84
Forgot the link and when the shooting starts

So what you're really saying is go 18"+ on the .308 and start another build? 🙃 I'm liking this so far. But, I have heard your argument against the SBR .308, though it was in a Facebook group. 

Too many questions, too fast, and you confused me.  I have zero arguments against a .308 SBR.  They're just not for clearing a house, because of massive over-penetration, inside a house, where all your other loved-ones live with you.  They can seriously fuk shiit up.  I have a 12.5" .308 Win AR, a 13.5" .308 Win AR, a 16" .308 Win AR, an 18.5" .308 Win AR, a 20" heavy barrel .308 Win bolt gun, and a 24" .308 Win lighter-barreled bolt gun.  That's not counting the .260 Rem 20" AR, or the 16" .338 Fed AR.  There's another 18" .308 Win AR that's all ripped apart, until I can rebuild it again, into what it really needs to be.

Different guns, different roles, different reasons. 

Too many questions, too fast, and you confused me.  I have zero arguments against a .308 SBR.  They're just not for clearing a house, because of massive over-penetration, inside a house, where all your other loved-ones live with you.  They can seriously fuk shiit up.  I have a 12.5" .308 Win AR, a 13.5" .308 Win AR, a 16" .308 Win AR, an 18.5" .308 Win AR, a 20" heavy barrel .308 Win bolt gun, and a 24" .308 Win lighter-barreled bolt gun.  That's not counting the .260 Rem 20" AR, or the 16" .338 Fed AR.  There's another 18" .308 Win AR that's all ripped apart, until I can rebuild it again, into what it really needs to be.

Different guns, different roles, different reasons. 

That's a hell of a collection 😳 Something about the feel of the .308 in an AR platform that puts a smile on my face. Maybe that's all it's about, but I want one REALLY bad. 

Just now, PoolShark84 said:

That's a hell of a collection 😳 Something about the feel of the .308 in an AR platform that puts a smile on my face. Maybe that's all it's about, but I want one REALLY bad. 

Pick the real goal for the first one, and maybe add a secondary role for it - and build it. Pick what you want it to do, and build from there.  It's all a game of compromises - one won't do everything. There's a ton of different flavors, and all of them are perfect - at something. 

Pick the real goal for the first one, and maybe add a secondary role for it - and build it. Pick what you want it to do, and build from there.  It's all a game of compromises - one won't do everything. There's a ton of different flavors, and all of them are perfect - at something. 

The main thing I want it to do is be reliable and accurate. What are some go-to barrels and bcg's that mesh well? Also, is it true to stick with the same manufacturer for those 2?