• Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Newb DPMS questions

PoolShark84

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

".308 Win is WAY TOO MUCH for clearing a house.  Rule that out, if that's really an intended goal - it'll go through the first room, second room, third room, exit the house - and might stop in your neighbor's house.  If you're lucky.  There's a lawyer attached to every round you fire.  .308 Win is not a Home Defense caliber."

Truth right there for sure.   A better choice in a long gun for "home defense" is going to be a 12 gauge shotgun loaded with #6 low brass.  Any encounters in your home with intruders are likely to be close range, low light or dark, moving targets and you will only have seconds to make decisions to use deadly force.  For sure you will NOT be thinking about over-penetration, shooting thru a wall or walls and hitting family members, etc.

At close range there are very few weapons that can delivery a full ounce of lead on target and be as devastating to the recipient as the 12 gauge shotgun.

Build you rifle for hunting, target shooting, plinking or whatever but keep something else close to the bed at night for defending the home and family....IMHO.

Even much lower powered handguns have the potential for shooting thru a wall or walls and endangering others in your home.  Recently I did some testing with some 185 grain Hornady bullets in .45 caliber to test expansion.  I had them loaded pretty "hefty", over 1100fps.  In my 45XDS those rounds penetrated 3 one gallon jugs of water and passed right thru a 2"x 8".  It took 4 gallon jugs to slow them down enough to stop them for inspection, and they still put a pretty healthy dent in the board before falling to the ground.

Sorry to get off-track a bit, hope the build goes well and meets all of your expectations......

IMG_1462.jpg

6 hours ago, PoolShark84 said:

Not gonna lie, this video alone made me want a 13.5" .308. I know this guy is one hell of a shot, but damn that's impressive with the .308. I should've just bought an LMT, but I swore i would build my own rifle next. 

Shooting starts at 12:00

https://youtu.be/WX1kNtalmFw

I stopped watching at 1.min that is a 8 grand Plus gun just the optic is over 3500 way over my pay grade I don't even Dream that big... But I own a DPMS and I shoot it at whatever distance I want and it hits pretty much whatever I want and kills elk and deer.... welcome to the forum from NC my home state.. but i left there 40 plus years ago let me tell you straight up the folks on this sight can build whatever you can imagine... pay attention and hide your credit cards till you have been here over a year then you will have the sickness and it won't matter.... 🙂

I have carried drug and packed this gun up hill down hill through water and I am going to tell you this right now THE FuKERS ARE HEAVY! with glass and loaded mag if you are lucky 10 and 1/2 to 11 lbs mine is a 16 inch barrel and with can on becomes a 24 inch barrel mine will shoot suppressed or not either way with zero malfunctions but it is way to long to do CQB the Grendel that 98 suggested to you is a good option but if you are going to hunt in open or semi open country the 308, 260 REM, or 6.5 Creedmoor are all good choices for that but they would suck at defending your castle..... you will need more than one....

Edited by Magwa

2 hours ago, Cliff R said:

".308 Win is WAY TOO MUCH for clearing a house.  Rule that out, if that's really an intended goal - it'll go through the first room, second room, third room, exit the house - and might stop in your neighbor's house.  If you're lucky.  There's a lawyer attached to every round you fire.  .308 Win is not a Home Defense caliber."

Truth right there for sure.   A better choice in a long gun for "home defense" is going to be a 12 gauge shotgun loaded with #6 low brass.  Any encounters in your home with intruders are likely to be close range, low light or dark, moving targets and you will only have seconds to make decisions to use deadly force.  For sure you will NOT be thinking about over-penetration, shooting thru a wall or walls and hitting family members, etc.

At close range there are very few weapons that can delivery a full ounce of lead on target and be as devastating to the recipient as the 12 gauge shotgun.

Build you rifle for hunting, target shooting, plinking or whatever but keep something else close to the bed at night for defending the home and family....IMHO.

Even much lower powered handguns have the potential for shooting thru a wall or walls and endangering others in your home.  Recently I did some testing with some 185 grain Hornady bullets in .45 caliber to test expansion.  I had them loaded pretty "hefty", over 1100fps.  In my 45XDS those rounds penetrated 3 one gallon jugs of water and passed right thru a 2"x 8".  It took 4 gallon jugs to slow them down enough to stop them for inspection, and they still put a pretty healthy dent in the board before falling to the ground.

Sorry to get off-track a bit, hope the build goes well and meets all of your expectations......

IMG_1462.jpg

Very good info here. I do own a shotgun, albeit it's just a mossberg 500, but it should get the job done indoors. The .308 I'm looking to build will probably end up being more of "fun at the range toy", after seeing these replies. I feel the need to own some kind of rifle that can stretch it's legs and still thump, all while being somewhat compact(ish). What better choice than a SB .308? Lol. My worries are quality parts that will run reliably.

That expansion test is pretty wicked for a .45! I've never loaded my own, but I work with guys that live to load the hottest stuff they can. It sounds fun. 

2 hours ago, Magwa said:

I stopped watching at 1.min that is a 8 grand Plus gun just the optic is over 3500 way over my pay grade I don't even Dream that big... But I own a DPMS and I shoot it at whatever distance I want and it hits pretty much whatever I want and kills elk and deer.... welcome to the forum from NC my home state.. but i left there 40 plus years ago let me tell you straight up the folks on this sight can build whatever you can imagine... pay attention and hide your credit cards till you have been here over a year then you will have the sickness and it won't matter.... 🙂

I have carried drug and packed this gun up hill down hill through water and I am going to tell you this right now THE FuKERS ARE HEAVY! with glass and loaded mag if you are lucky 10 and 1/2 to 11 lbs mine is a 16 inch barrel and with can on becomes a 24 inch barrel mine will shoot suppressed or not either way with zero malfunctions but it is way to long to do CQB the Grendel that 98 suggested to you is a good option but if you are going to hunt in open or semi open country the 308, 260 REM, or 6.5 Creedmoor are all good choices for that but they would suck at defending your castle..... you will need more than one....

Agreed. The LMT is out of my price range as well; hence why I'm trying to build my own with precision parts to get similar results at 500yds in. I don't see 10-12lbs being "that" bad. My 18" AR15 comes in right around that weight. 

2 hours ago, Magwa said:

pay attention and hide your credit cards till you have been here over a year then you will have the sickness and it won't matter.... 🙂

This is what worries me, as much as I'd love to make this build last a year, especially since I'll be waiting on a can, I have a gut feeling things are gonna turn south in November. 

8 hours ago, PoolShark84 said:

Very good info. I've definitely read a lot about headspacing. It WILL be done perfectly, even if I have to take it somewhere. 

Loose nut behind the trigger?

Quick question: will the LMT MWS bcg work in a DPMS reciever? I really like their gas channel design on their bcg's. 

I'd have to agree about using a 308 SBR for home defense/house clearing. It's just waaayyyyyy too much rifle for that purpose.

BUT........that being said.....I do love my 12.5" AR-10.

675634062_UpdatedAR-10SBR_1.thumb.JPG.2183d54faf2e7bc9addd0dd06e68b4c5.JPG

I kinda went through an SBR frenzy a couple years ago. :lmao:

You're probably starting to figure out just how deep in the "Fuk me" pool that you jumped in to.

If you can think about it....more than likely, somebody around here has built it or bought it.

But we'll be more than happy to help you spend your money.

11 hours ago, PoolShark84 said:

Agreed. The LMT is out of my price range as well; hence why I'm trying to build my own with precision parts to get similar results at 500yds in. I don't see 10-12lbs being "that" bad. My 18" AR15 comes in right around that weight. 

then you would love my NOT stock DPMS that with out loaded mag is just a bit over 9 I paid 1 grand for it 7 years ago and it will ring steel all day long at 500 hundred that is a chip shot.. and with a 16 inch barrel.....

12 minutes ago, Magwa said:

then you would love my NOT stock DPMS that with out loaded mag is just a bit over 9 I paid 1 grand for it 7 years ago and it will ring steel all day long at 500 hundred that is a chip shot.. and with a 16 inch barrel.....

I agree. 308's will bang steel at 500 yards, regardless of barrel lengths.

This picture was from last fall's meet-up in the desert. Just about middle of the screen (from our elevated shooting position) was one of the targets at just under 500 yards (if I remember). I was hitting that with the SBR in the picture that I showed earlier. And I'm no great marksman.

PicsArt_10-13-09_11_18.jpg.1cb729d2697e6f8c81a0531a6e3750b2.thumb.jpg.2efbfca733a08b6932d3d243620f5a64.jpg

19 minutes ago, Rsquared said:

This picture was from last fall's meet-up in the desert. Just about middle of the screen (from our elevated shooting position) was one of the targets at just under 500 yards (if I remember).

The longest one that we had set up for the High Angle was a true 500 yards, right on the money, brother.  :thumbup:

21 minutes ago, Rsquared said:

I agree. 308's will bang steel at 500 yards, regardless of barrel lengths.

We're doing 2 days of Long Range this year, just because of stuff like this, man.  Day 1 will be "serious day" just to run our real long guns.  Targets stay up that night, because we're running an 850-yard night shoot.  Next day is for stuff like you're talking.

If a 12.5" Grendel can run 850 - other stuff should, too.  I'm picking up another LaRue LT-158 with the QD levers, and setting up a permanent scope in it - just so we can slap it on some of the short guns and run them at distance.  After running the 13.5" .308AR to 400 yards with a red dot on it - I want to run it longer with magnified optics.  The 12.5" needs stretched out, too, just like that.  Both those guns are red-dot guns.  Let's give 'em some glasses, so they can see further...  :thumbup:

2 hours ago, Rsquared said:

I'd have to agree about using a 308 SBR for home defense/house clearing. It's just waaayyyyyy too much rifle for that purpose.

BUT........that being said.....I do love my 12.5" AR-10.

675634062_UpdatedAR-10SBR_1.thumb.JPG.2183d54faf2e7bc9addd0dd06e68b4c5.JPG

If you can think about it....more than likely, somebody around here has built it or bought it.

But we'll be more than happy to help you spend your money.

My man! Exactly what I wanted to hear!

I'm starting to feel like I went the cheap route with the Aero recievers. All of my rifles that I own have been bought 😒, and all were $2k, not including optics. On this .308 build, I was expecting to tickle the 2k mark. I'm one of those "buy it once" type of guys. 

I'd love everyone's feedback on mid to high tier parts that are a must. 

Serious question: How bad is the .308 in a SB form, especially a pistol? Would it be wise to go ahead and SBR the .308? 

1 hour ago, Magwa said:

Hmmmm. Details please! I can probably cut .5lbs from that with a SB. 

Absolutely nothing wrong with Aero stuff my man. I personally don't have any since I went the Armalite way (different pattern). But others around here have, and nobody has anything bad to say about them.

And, you're right about the "buy once, cry once". We've all found that out, one way or another.

10 minutes ago, Rsquared said:

Absolutely nothing wrong with Aero stuff my man. I personally don't have any since I went the Armalite way (different pattern). But others around here have, and nobody has anything bad to say about them.

And, you're right about the "buy once, cry once". We've all found that out, one way or another.

Good to hear! The AR10 you posted above, is that a stock or a brace on there? I'm assuming a stock since it has a straight foregrip. No, I'm not the Ayy Tee Fff. Lol. Just trying to decide if it's worth waiting out for a SBR form to come back. The .308 is a beast, and I'd hate to imagine how she feels with a brace back there.