• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Newb DPMS questions

PoolShark84

1 hour ago, 98Z5V said:

We're doing 2 days of Long Range this year, just because of stuff like this, man.  Day 1 will be "serious day" just to run our real long guns.  Targets stay up that night, because we're running an 850-yard night shoot.  Next day is for stuff like you're talking.

If a 12.5" Grendel can run 850 - other stuff should, too.  I'm picking up another LaRue LT-158 with the QD levers, and setting up a permanent scope in it - just so we can slap it on some of the short guns and run them at distance.  After running the 13.5" .308AR to 400 yards with a red dot on it - I want to run it longer with magnified optics.  The 12.5" needs stretched out, too, just like that.  Both those guns are red-dot guns.  Let's give 'em some glasses, so they can see further...  :thumbup:

400 yards with a red dot? Yeah, I need some more time behind the trigger, or better yet, some glasses 🤣 I can't see for shiit! 

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a stock. I built her from the ground up. She's a fully legal SBR. Once you start dancing with the ATF with NFA stuff, you don't fuk around. It's not worth the pain that can follow along with it.

You'd actually be surprised at how smooth it shoots for being a short barreled 308. It's a Noveske barrel that I built onto an Armalite receiver set that I had on hand. No AGB on this thing. If you look up Noveske "Leonidas project", you can probably find some videos that they put out a long time ago. Though I think that they've brought it back recently......maybe....I could be wrong about that.

Hey.......SBR's are fun. If nothing else.

MK-18 (556)

119014081_Justsometoys.thumb.JPG.587872391898e0b620ad3561d7d0fb71.JPG

300 BLK (it's also had one of the EoTech 553's put on it)

1430311385_300BLKShortywithcan.thumb.JPG.bde65c690db5daf984dfb78b9cb58d31.JPG

DSA Arms FAL OSW 11" (yeah yeah, not an AR)

KIMG0046.thumb.JPG.a9fb7bd1803999b66300070d34047578.JPG

A POF P308 (piston driven) 12"

1750659898_POFSBR1.thumb.jpg.c15e8d74ce49b80a680b12d4868ec20b.jpg

And there's more. Like I said. I went through an SBR phase a couple years back. :lmao:

5 minutes ago, PoolShark84 said:

400 yards with a red dot? Yeah, I need some more time behind the trigger, or better yet, some glasses 🤣 I can't see for shiit! 

Easy.  I made a thread about it here, with pics of target hits, from 100, 200, 300, and 400.  It was Red-Dot Day for me on the 13.5".  Nothing but. 

3 minutes ago, Rsquared said:

It's a stock. I built her from the ground up. She's a fully legal SBR. Once you start dancing with the ATF with NFA stuff, you don't fuk around. It's not worth the pain that can follow along with it.

You'd actually be surprised at how smooth it shoots for being a short barreled 308. It's a Noveske barrel that I built onto an Armalite receiver set that I had on hand. No AGB on this thing. If you look up Noveske "Leonidas project", you can probably find some videos that they put out a long time ago. Though I think that they've brought it back recently......maybe....I could be wrong about that.

Hey.......SBR's are fun. If nothing else.

MK-18 (556)

119014081_Justsometoys.thumb.JPG.587872391898e0b620ad3561d7d0fb71.JPG

300 BLK (it's also had one of the EoTech 553's put on it)

1430311385_300BLKShortywithcan.thumb.JPG.bde65c690db5daf984dfb78b9cb58d31.JPG

DSA Arms FAL OSW 11" (yeah yeah, not an AR)

KIMG0046.thumb.JPG.a9fb7bd1803999b66300070d34047578.JPG

A POF P308 (piston driven) 12"

1750659898_POFSBR1.thumb.jpg.c15e8d74ce49b80a680b12d4868ec20b.jpg

And there's more. Like I said. I went through an SBR phase a couple years back. :lmao:

😍 I can't wait to get this .308 done. I'd love to find a barrel/bcg combo that would be able to run without an AGB. I know the buffer system can fix some stuff, but it can also cover up the real issues going on. 

31 minutes ago, PoolShark84 said:

😍 I can't wait to get this .308 done. I'd love to find a barrel/bcg combo that would be able to run without an AGB. I know the buffer system can fix some stuff, but it can also cover up the real issues going on. 

That's EASY...

5 minutes ago, Rsquared said:

Stick with quality barrels, toolcraft BCG's, and an Armalite recoil system (buffer system) and you'll be okay.

You're on the right path my brother.

^^^  He just spelled it all out for you.  Soup-to-Nuts - THAT is what works.  5.4oz buffer, the appropriate recoil spring, and the right receiver extension - that's the key in it all. Only thing after that you have to verify is the gas port diameter in the barrel.  Needs to be the right size.  If you buy an off-brand barrel, we'll need to verify what gas tube you'll need - some manufacturers are ALL FUKKED UP ON THAT.  <<<  My opinion.. 

Edited by 98Z5V

2 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

That's EASY...

^^^  He just spelled it all out for you.  Soup-to-Nuts - THAT is what works.  5.4oz buffer, the appropriate recoil spring, and the right receiver extension - that's the key in it all. Only thing after that you have to verify is the gas port diameter in the barrel.  Needs to be the right size.  If you buy an off-brand barrel, we'll need to verify what gas tube you'll need - some manufacturers are ALL FUKKED UP ON THAT.  <<<  My opinion.. 

Yeah, I read through your thread about gas ports. Very good info! So, I'm guessing with the reciever extension, you are meaning the buffer extension, like the LMT version i purchased? 

Just now, PoolShark84 said:

Yeah, I read through your thread about gas ports. Very good info! So, I'm guessing with the reciever extension, you are meaning the buffer extension, like the LMT version i purchased? 

Well, no, I'm meaning "the receiver extension," because that's what it really is.  I'm not meaning "buffer extension" at all, because that would be something that extends the buffer, and makes a buffer longer.

Terminology counts.  And it makes a difference.  Get the garbage out of your head, and call parts what they really are. 

3 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

Well, no, I'm meaning "the receiver extension," because that's what it really is.  I'm not meaning "buffer extension" at all, because that would be something that extends the buffer, and makes a buffer longer.

Terminology counts.  And it makes a difference.  Get the garbage out of your head, and call parts what they really are. 

Gotcha. I'll try my best on that one. Lol. I'm fairly certain I bought a worthy reciever extension. 

4 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

And he's not saying that in a mean, dick-ish way, man. We've seen all sorts of guys argue about what they want to build, or justify why they bought this part, or that part. And then mother fuk any of us that stand in their way, when we're only trying to help other guys get what they want out of their rifles.

These things were designed and built to a specific standard. But a lot of the manufacturers (or parts vendors) have strayed from that standard. Then tried to cover it up by tweeking other parts of the operating system. You can't out-think the machine.

We're just trying to help out.

39 minutes ago, Rsquared said:

And he's not saying that in a mean, dick-ish way, man. We've seen all sorts of guys argue about what they want to build, or justify why they bought this part, or that part. And then mother fuk any of us that stand in their way, when we're only trying to help other guys get what they want out of their rifles.

These things were designed and built to a specific standard. But a lot of the manufacturers (or parts vendors) have strayed from that standard. Then tried to cover it up by tweeking other parts of the operating system. You can't out-think the machine.

We're just trying to help out.

I never got that feeling at all, man. I'm a sponge right now with you guys, I'm all ears! I absolutely know y'all are beyond my intelligence with ALL firearms. I'm here to learn, and hopefully build badass rifle for my very first time. 

1 minute ago, PoolShark84 said:

I never got that feeling at all, man. I'm a sponge right now with you guys, I'm all ears! I absolutely know y'all are beyond my intelligence with ALL firearms. I'm here to learn, and hopefully build badass rifle for my very first time. 

You got this bro, easy peasy. You've got some good long distance ranges out your way, when you get your boomstick built we can take it out for it's inaugural run and surprise you at what you AND it are capable of doing.

7 minutes ago, PoolShark84 said:

Sounds like you're on the right path my man. We all started out somewhere. And we all relied on others to help us learn. We're all about that around here. We're here to help each other.

I'm glad to see someone from the Triad area. I've got family ALL over that region. Greensboro, Kernersville, Winston-Salem, Lexington......hell.......all around.

But now, after the fact.......I take back everything good that I said about Matt. :lmao:

29 minutes ago, PoolShark84 said:

I'm here to learn, and hopefully build badass rifle for my very first time. 

We'll make sure that happens.  Ask questions early  - before you buy bad parts - and ask questions often - so we can tell you what the bad parts are.  And the shiity vendors that you don't want to buy from.  Money can't get in the way, either.  The cheapest shiit advertised is really CHEAP SHIIT... 

11 minutes ago, Rsquared said:

....I take back everything good that I said about Matt. :lmao:

I knew that one was brewing...  I could just FEEL it...  :bat::box1:

Edited by 98Z5V

26 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

Money can't get in the way, either. 

The cheapest shiit advertised is really CHEAP SHIIT... 

This! That's why I felt safe coming to a forum rather than a BS FB group. What a joke that place is! I don't settle on cheap stuff, that's for sure. Especially something I'll be trusting my life with. 

I'll be sure to update on the parts list, once I can find what I want in stock. 

Stop buying all of the AR stuff, man! Who has a .308 in every barrel length imaginable? 🤣 Can't you save some for the rest? 

I fukkin love it though!! As I said earlier, you all have YEARS on me in the firearms game. 

22 minutes ago, Matt.Cross said:

ROFL...

That's right, gotta hedge those bets brother. Can't ever be too safe!

Gotta keep you on your toes dude.

Besides. You know what happens around here.

Turn your back for too long........and.....WHAM!

It's more like a PSA (not Palmetto State).............................don't let this happen to you.

You don't have to spend a million bucks on some latest boutique-bullshiit fancy parts, which is just a waste of money, most of the time, most of the people.  You just need good parts from good vendors that ain't Shady As Fuk.

We'll help you with that.  More often than not, we see cheap people here arguing cheap parts - that just don't work.  Then, they implode.  Self-destruct.  Just had one last week... 

4 minutes ago, PoolShark84 said:

This! That's why I felt safe coming to a forum rather than a BS FB group. What a joke that place is! I don't settle on cheap stuff, that's for sure. Especially something I'll be trusting my life with. 

I'll be sure to update on the parts list, once I can find what I want in stock. 

Stop buying all of the AR stuff, man! Who has a .308 in every barrel length imaginable? 🤣 Can't you save some for the rest? 

I fukkin love it though!! As I said earlier, you all have YEARS on me in the firearms game. 

This was what I meant to respond to - before Ron ambushed me again.

Been doing this a long time - have alot of .308ARs.  Have a few more large-frames, in other calibers.  All told, across the large-frame and small-frame (AR15), there are 12 calibers of them.  Many multiples of them in the same caliber, too.  It's just a way of life, and a fun thing to do.  Maintain your proficiency on the guns that you own.  It keeps me busy.

1 minute ago, 98Z5V said:

You don't have to spend a million bucks on some latest boutique-bullshiit fancy parts, which is just a waste of money, most of the time, most of the people.  You just need good parts from good vendors that ain't Shady As Fuk.

We'll help you with that.  More often than not, we see cheap people here arguing cheap parts - that just don't work.  Then, they implode.  Self-destruct.  Just had one last week... 

Listen to this man and he will guide you.

After all.....he's like our Jim Jones leading us to the.................................................................

OK. Wait a minute. That sounds too fuked up.

Never mind. He's an A$$hole. BUT....he's one of our a$$hole's.

Just like the rest of us.

9 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

More often than not, we see cheap people here arguing cheap parts - that just don't work.  Then, they implode.  Self-destruct.  Just had one last week... 

Haha. I can only imagine. I try to research most parts before buying, although I do impulse buy as well 🙄, especially ammo. I feel like it may turn to gold soon, if the government doesn't come for it first. 

6 minutes ago, PoolShark84 said:

Haha. I can only imagine. I try to research most parts before buying, although I do impulse buy as well 🙄, especially ammo. I feel like it may turn to gold soon, if the government doesn't come for it first. 

Ammo doesn't go bad. I randomly build to my ammo inventory.

308 does not kick.. if anyone thinks that it is a hard kicker then I have no clue what their pain tolerance is .... in fact I don't know of any short cases that kick untill you get into the short mags then a little 338 win mag kicks .. 308 and 4570 are more of a shove

I sight all my M4 type guns in at 36 yards having done so I am good from 0 to 300 with a red dot and it works like a charm I also think a red dot would not be hard at 500 , I also do not know of many people at all that use AGB's I never have on my DPMS and I have shot it with carbine stock and rifle buffer setups and it works flawlessly with either and canned or not canned... maybe I am just lucky the biggest improvement to me was soaking all my BCG's in mobile one synthetic oil after a couple of weeks they became smooth as a fresh shaved beaver.... ask tom he likes beavers....hold on the other half is screaming that means only one thing RATTLESNAKE! back in a min. yep a big one for around here I will catch him and take a pic...

IMG_20200805_044208799 (2).jpg

Edited by Magwa