PoolShark84

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

That's EASY...

^^^  He just spelled it all out for you.  Soup-to-Nuts 

Thoughts on this KAK barrel profile? It seems a bit on the heavy side for a 12.5" barrel. 

Side note: I'm having a hard time finding a quality 13.5" barrel. I may just end up going with 12.5".

https://www.kakindustry.com/lr-308-parts/308-upper-parts/barrels/kak-762-stainless-125-inch-carbine-stainless-barrel

4 hours ago, DNP said:

Only one so far this summer. And I kill em. There’s plenty more where that one came from. I take the Garfield - Spider approach. Only good one is a dead one.  

EE8BDFBF-70D4-4A23-AE44-4D114580B274.jpeg

You look pretty young in that one nice shirt btw. :thumbup: We get em here along with cotton mouth and copperheads. Kill em cause we got chickens and dogs running around and the wife doesn’t watch where she steps.

9 hours ago, PoolShark84 said:

Thoughts on this KAK barrel profile? It seems a bit on the heavy side for a 12.5" barrel. 

Side note: I'm having a hard time finding a quality 13.5" barrel. I may just end up going with 12.5".

https://www.kakindustry.com/lr-308-parts/308-upper-parts/barrels/kak-762-stainless-125-inch-carbine-stainless-barrel

Looks like a good profile.  Not bad at all - it sure isn't gonna flex!  

You'll have to hit up Armalite for a 13.5" barrel.  It's AR-10-specific, so if you go that route, just make sure you run the Armalite AR-10 BCG with it.  That stuff works inside DPMS-based receivers. 

4 hours ago, Radioactive said:

You look pretty young in that one nice shirt btw. :thumbup: We get em here along with cotton mouth and copperheads. Kill em cause we got chickens and dogs running around and the wife doesn’t watch where she steps.

That's the Trifecta of Pissed Off Snakes, right there.  I grew up around Water Moccasins and Copperheads, so I know how to deal with them.  I learned Rattlesnakes out here. 

1 hour ago, 98Z5V said:

Looks like a good profile.  Not bad at all - it sure isn't gonna flex!  

You'll have to hit up Armalite for a 13.5" barrel.  It's AR-10-specific, so if you go that route, just make sure you run the Armalite AR-10 BCG with it.  That stuff works inside DPMS-based receivers. 

Thank you good sir! I had no clue they were interchangeable.👍

Will going the Armalite route limit my handguard choices?

While we're at it, I guess I'll ask another dumb question 🙄; does the same apply for the MWS pattern? 

I know you're probably thinking, DAMN, this guy is stuck on LMT shiit. He should've just bought one 🤣

17 minutes ago, PoolShark84 said:

1.  Thank you good sir! I had no clue they were interchangeable.👍

2.  Will going the Armalite route limit my handguard choices?

3.  While we're at it, I guess I'll ask another dumb question 🙄; does the same apply for the MWS pattern? 

4.  I know you're probably thinking, DAMN, this guy is stuck on LMT shiit. He should've just bought one 🤣

We'll take "the numbered approach" to this post...

1.  They're not completely "interchangeable", at all, but to a degree, you can install a complete operating system from one, into the other.  Barrel, Complete BCG (not just BOLT - because there ARE Bolt Carrier differences), gas system, recoil system.  Recoil system is a sore spot with me, because DPMS-based recoil systems just suck, and they're not what this platform needs.  Another story, already written about. 

You can TAKE an Armalite Barrel, COMPLETE BCG assembly, and AR-10 Gas system - and make it work in DPMS-based receivers.  Look up my 13.5" .308AR gun.  That's exactly what it is.  All Armalite AR-10 guts inside of Aero Precision M5 receivers.  And it runs like a champ.  The thread on it is here, shouldn't be hard to find. 

Now BASED on that - there's zero reason you couldn't take ALL those DPMS-Based parts, and run them in Armalite AR-10 receivers.  I just don't know why someone would do that.

2.  Armalite AR-10 upper receiver threading and DPMS LR-308-based upper receiver threading are different.  They don't interchange.  Armalite AR-10 handguards don't fit DPMS LR-308-based guns.  The info on the threading differences is here, on the board. Your receiver choice determines what handguard you need to run, it's that simple.

3.  The LMT shiit is different, and you need to do some deeeeep research on what those differences really are - I don't know.  I'll never build one, it's over-priced for what it is.  LMT makes 40mm M-203 Grenade Launchers for the US Army, and I'll take one of those any day. I'm not all up on the hype of their rifle, and I don't want one.  I can do better, cheaper.  They can keep the MWS, IMHO.

4.  The opposite - I don't think you should waste the money on it -too much "proprietary bullshiit" to deal with.  I'm simple, and easy.  You don't complicate shiit, with complicated shiit.  Keep it real, and keep it simple, and it'll work for you every single time.

Thus Endeth My Sermon...  :soap:

9 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

We'll take "the numbered approach" to this post...

1.  They're not completely "interchangeable", at all, but to a degree, you can install a complete operating system from one, into the other.  Barrel, Complete BCG (not just BOLT - because there ARE Bolt Carrier differences), gas system, recoil system.  Recoil system is a sore spot with me, because DPMS-based recoil systems just suck, and they're not what this platform needs.  Another story, already written about. 

You can TAKE an Armalite Barrel, COMPLETE BCG assembly, and AR-10 Gas system - and make it work in DPMS-based receivers.  Look up my 13.5" .308AR gun.  That's exactly what it is.  All Armalite AR-10 guts inside of Aero Precision M5 receivers.  And it runs like a champ.  The thread on it is here, shouldn't be hard to find. 

Now BASED on that - there's zero reason you couldn't take ALL those DPMS-Based parts, and run them in Armalite AR-10 receivers.  I just don't know why someone would do that.

2.  Armalite AR-10 upper receiver threading and DPMS LR-308-based upper receiver threading are different.  They don't interchange.  Armalite AR-10 handguards don't fit DPMS LR-308-based guns.  The info on the threading differences is here, on the board. Your receiver choice determines what handguard you need to run, it's that simple.

3.  The LMT shiit is different, and you need to do some deeeeep research on what those differences really are - I don't know.  I'll never build one, it's over-priced for what it is.  LMT makes 40mm M-203 Grenade Launchers for the US Army, and I'll take one of those any day. I'm not all up on the hype of their rifle, and I don't want one.  I can do better, cheaper.  They can keep the MWS, IMHO.

4.  The opposite - I don't think you should waste the money on it -too much "proprietary bullshiit" to deal with.  I'm simple, and easy.  You don't complicate shiit, with complicated shiit.  Keep it real, and keep it simple, and it'll work for you every single time.

Thus Endeth My Sermon...  :soap:

Man, what a response! I think you just answered every question I may ever have. Lol. As expected, another great worded response. 

Alright, I'm trying not to complicate shiit, with complicated shiit 🤣 

With that being said, parts list is complete and I'm ready to order. 

-KAK 12.5 stainless barrel (carbine)

-KAK BCG with the double ejectors 

-KAK gas block and tube

The only parts left to pick out are the brace/stock and handguard. 

So, question: Will a standard AR15 brace work with the large frame build?

1 hour ago, PoolShark84 said:

I have used the SBA3 and not had any issues, they have another, the SBA4, that looks even sturdier. I have an early Sig brace on my P716, it has issues sliding up when shooting so I will stick with the braces that will lock up in position.

https://www.sb-tactical.com/product-category/brace/

1 hour ago, PoolShark84 said:

Alright, I'm trying not to complicate shiit, with complicated shiit 🤣 

With that being said, parts list is complete and I'm ready to order. 

-KAK 12.5 stainless barrel (carbine)

-KAK BCG with the double ejectors 

-KAK gas block and tube

The only parts left to pick out are the brace/stock and handguard. 

Yes the buffer tube is the same size.

This is on both of my 308 pistols. Works great.

IMG_20200624_150338.jpg

On 8/12/2020 at 6:03 PM, jtallen83 said:

I have an early Sig brace on my P716, it has issues sliding up when shooting so I will stick with the braces that will lock up in position.

https://www.sb-tactical.com/product-category/brace/

A short piece of 1" wooden dowel as a spacer cures that brother! That's what I used on my 308 pistol build. I needed to space that brace because I have pretty long arms!😉

The adjustable braces are nice.  I started out with the original Sig brace and a KAK pistol tube.  The tube came with 2 spacers to adjust the LOP.  1 half inch and 1 one inch to get up to 1 1/2" of adjustment.  Long arms?    How about 83" finger tip to finger tip, arms out parallel to the floor.  Bow shops when I shot a vertical bow hated me.  I'de walk in and tell them I needed a 37" draw and they would look at me funny until they did a measurement.  Then I would walk out with nothing.

21 minutes ago, dpete said:

The adjustable braces are nice.  I started out with the original Sig brace and a KAK pistol tube.  The tube came with 2 spacers to adjust the LOP.  1 half inch and 1 one inch to get up to 1 1/2" of adjustment.  Long arms?    How about 83" finger tip to finger tip, arms out parallel to the floor.  Bow shops when I shot a vertical bow hated me.  I'de walk in and tell them I needed a 37" draw and they would look at me funny until they did a measurement.  Then I would walk out with nothing.

83" 😬 Holy shiit man!! Why would one actually need a spacer though if the SBA's are adjustable? 

Adjustability and secure mounting are my 2 main concerns for the brace. Comfort and cheekweld are also pretty high up there. 

I absolutely HATE when something is loose are not as tight as it could be.