• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Newb DPMS questions

PoolShark84

6 minutes ago, PoolShark84 said:

The main thing I want it to do is be reliable and accurate. What are some go-to barrels and bcg's that mesh well? Also, is it true to stick with the same manufacturer for those 2? 

ToolCraft BCG, with a Ballistic Advantage, Faxon, or Criterion barrel.  Those two items are 2/3rds of what you need for an accurate AR.  The other is the trigger. 

And...  the loose nut behind the trigger. 

Always use headspace gauges when you're building one of these things. There is no "set standard" like AR15s.  headspace your barrel and bolt.  It's a must-do. The gauges are cheap, compared to the price of your face, if it blows up on you.

Edited by 98Z5V

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, PoolShark84 said:

That's great to hear. I bet they are pricey! 

Pricey is relative. How affordable is "cheap" subsonic ammo for 308? If you're comparing the cost to supersonic ammo, it's really kind of an apples to oranges comparison. Still, mine was obtained at about $1/round, about the same as good match ammo.

1 minute ago, 98Z5V said:

Not in any amount of massive detail, man!  You mentioned it, but didn't get nuts-and-bolts on me!...   :laffs:

Not much details to give, 175 SMK that runs 1050 FPS and exactly 10 MOA difference between supersonic and subsonic zero @ 100 yards.

3 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

ToolCraft BCG, with a Ballistic Advantage, or Criterion barrel.  Those two items are 2/3rds of what you need for an accurate AR.  The other is the trigger. 

And...  the loose nut behind the trigger. 

Always use headspace gauges when you're building one of these things. There is no "set standard" like AR15s.  headspace your barrel and bolt.  It's a must-do. The gauges are cheap, compared to the price of your face, if it blows up on you.

Very good info. I've definitely read a lot about headspacing. It WILL be done perfectly, even if I have to take it somewhere. 

Loose nut behind the trigger?

Just now, Matt.Cross said:

Pricey is relative. How affordable is "cheap" subsonic ammo for 308? If you're comparing the cost to supersonic ammo, it's really kind of an apples to oranges comparison. Still, mine was obtained at about $1/round, about the same as good match ammo.

Not much details to give, 175 SMK that runs 1050 FPS and exactly 10 MOA difference between supersonic and subsonic zero @ 100 yards.

That's not even heavy enough to run subsonic, brother.  What kind of powder-charge compromise did hey make there?... 195s aren't even subsonic.  220s or 225s, maybe...

What the hell is in those things?

2 minutes ago, Matt.Cross said:

This would be one of the biggest advantages to the .308, right? 

Just now, 98Z5V said:

That's not even heavy enough to run subsonic, brother.  What kind of powder-charge compromise did hey make there?... 195s aren't even subsonic.  220s or 225s, maybe...

What the hell is in those things?

Trail Boss is pretty common, gives you the volume for reliable ignition, but slow enough to stay >1100 FPS. I don't know what Defender uses, but I can confirm it's remarkably quiet through the Ops Inc 12th.

Trail Boss is pretty common, gives you the volume for reliable ignition, but slow enough to stay >1100 FPS. I don't know what Defender uses, but I can confirm it's remarkably quiet through the Ops Inc 12th.

Man, that sounds fun. Would love to have a sub .308 build. What barrel length are you at? 

2 minutes ago, PoolShark84 said:

What is there to be said about ALL ar10's need an AGB? 

Pure bullshiit, right there.  Where'd you hear that from?

You only need an adjustable gas block if you're shooting supressed/unsuppressed - to compensate from the two.

Otherwise, if you don't do that - your gas system and recoil system are fucked up - to you "need" an adjustable gas block to fix the problems in your build, in the first place...

1 minute ago, PoolShark84 said:

Man, that sounds fun. Would love to have a sub .308 build. What barrel length are you at? 

He's on an 18.5" Fulton Armory Krieger/Criterion rifle-gas barrel, that was discontinued around 10 years ago. That specific barrel.

This would be one of the biggest advantages to the .308, right? 

Subsonic ammo being fairly available for 308? Absolutely. I can think of 6-8 manufacturers off-hand.

Ammo, like the rifle you want to be built, is purpose driven. You'll either have to design it to achieve your intended purpose(s), or pay the inherent cost of something ready-made to do so.

I shoot nothing but premier match ammo in my guns, so for me, everything else is pretty much dirt cheap in relative terms.

1 minute ago, 98Z5V said:

Pure bullshiit, right there.  Where'd you hear that from?

You only need an adjustable gas block if you're shooting supressed/unsuppressed - to compensate from the two.

Otherwise, if you don't do that - your gas system and recoil system are fucked up - to you "need" an adjustable gas block to fix the problems in your build, in the first place...

That's exactly what I wanted to hear. How does one know exactly which short barrel to get, and know it will cycle suppressed? 

Just now, PoolShark84 said:

That's exactly what I wanted to hear. How does one know exactly which short barrel to get, and know it will cycle suppressed? 

Measuring gas port diameter. 

There's a bunch here to read up on.  Click these, to start:

^^^  That might only make sense, after you read this one:

8 minutes ago, PoolShark84 said:

18.5" as stated above. You can run subs in pretty much any configuration, but you'll put an insane amount of effort into a build that will function in semi-auto running subs. Just a heads up. Not saying you can't do it, just be prepared for what it will cost versus what it will ultimately do.

Here's my barrel, albeit now made by Criterion.

https://www.fulton-armory.com/barrelfatitan185nmmedss1x10936gasblock.aspx

18.5" as stated above. You can run subs in pretty much any configuration, but you'll put an insane amount of effort into a build that will function in semi-auto running subs. Just a heads up. Not saying you can't do it, just be prepared for what it will cost versus what it will ultimately do.

I never knew that would be an issue. Good advice! Are you meaning aggressively cycling subs through a short barrel? 

I never knew that would be an issue. Good advice! Are you meaning aggressively cycling subs through a short barrel? 

Some subs won't even cycle a semi-auto direct impingement gas system. At all. Not enough gas pressure.

Edited by 98Z5V

6 minutes ago, PoolShark84 said:

I mean getting subsonic rounds to cycle the BCG reliably in barrels of "standard" lengths and gas systems. It's just more practical to build a rifle configured for supersonic rounds and accept that you'll have to hand-cycle subs.

Making subs function reliably essentially forfeits the ability to operate on supersonic rounds in a prudent fashion, you end up with a gun that the only thing it does well is cycle subs 

56 minutes ago, PoolShark84 said:

Not gonna lie, this video alone made me want a 13.5" .308. I know this guy is one hell of a shot, but damn that's impressive with the .308. I should've just bought an LMT, but I swore i would build my own rifle next. 

Shooting starts at 12:00

https://youtu.be/WX1kNtalmFw

@Matt.Cross - you watch this vid that he posted? 

What round is he shooting, in that vid, brother?... 

I'll just leave that question right there...  :popcorn:

3 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

That magic 178 ELD-X, brother.  :thumbup:

Damn, you're fast...  :laffs::hail:

I'll pick some up and give it a try. I don't doubt it's merit. It's been a while and Hornady has made some changes since I eliminated them from the MA TEN's diet. I got nothing against Hornady though, BLACK is all that the Mk12 will eat.

I want to try some FGMM 185 Juggernaut too.