• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Archery

billymagg

I've lost a lot of weight, and a lot of muscle mass, I can no longer comfortably come to anchor with my Mike Palmer 65lb recurve, and I've cranked my 55-70lb compound way down,  my heavy aluminum arrows were so "SLOW" and of course they have quite an arc in flight....

So, I recently traded my Bowtech and an ugly Savage 308, and pocketfull of cash, for a new Matthew's 60 lb TRX 36, which I can draw and shoot, with light carbons arrows it is a little drill, I even had some 2014 Easton X7 Cobalt shafts and some feathers, and had a friend cut them off and fletch them, they are too damn pretty to shoot, but fly very similar to the carbons arrows.

I have shot recurve and compounds for a number of years, although I really didn't get the recurve down until I had a few years of the compound under my belt. My first recurve was a 52" Kodiak Magnum that I bought at the PX for 45 bucks, while I'm fairly certain I could shoot it well now, it was a finger pincher, and not a sweet shooter by any means..

I finally bought a 71lb Bighorn by G. Fred Asbell, and that was the sweetest shooting thing I ever had my hands on, I hunted with it for a number of years along with a couple of nice iron sighted Smith and Wesson 44 Magnums. Ihad a 12 yard shot at the biggest buck I had ever seen on the hoof.. I was on the ground, he had NO idea I was there, but there was a sapling between us,  I came to full draw and released... I had enough light to hunt, and he and herd of deer he was with exploded all around me, but sadly that sapling took the brunt of my arrows fury....

Anyway, I mostly shoot in the back yard, more lately since my rifle range has been overgrown in corn, but I will hunt with it this fall, looking forward to it..

So how many of you are also archers, and what do you shoot?

30 minutes ago, billymagg said:

archers, and what do you shoot?

Love archery the most, up close & personal. Most all my big bucks came in archery. I had massive shoulder surgery in July involving rotator cuff, deltoid, bicep etc. Haven't been able to even attempt to try my bow ...yet. I'm using an Excalibur Equinox crossbow. If I can manage to get it cocked, I'm gonna be out there! Lol

Some of my bow bucks...

20160701_195929.jpg

20160701_195943.jpg

Edited by Lonewolf McQuade

36 minutes ago, Lonewolf McQuade said:

Love archery the most, up close & personal. Most all my big bucks came in archery. I had massive shoulder surgery in July involving rotator cuff, deltoid, bicep etc. Haven't been able to even attempt to try my bow ...yet. I'm using an Excalibur Equinox crossbow. If I can manage to get it cocked, I'm gonna be out there! Lol

Some of my bow bucks...

20160701_195929.jpg

20160701_195943.jpg

Awesome wall Brother, and I was mildly tempted to go with a crossbow as they are now legal here in Central Obamastan, and had I been unable to manage my new compound, that was my next step... my little brother switched over to a high dollar crossbow, (some are close to 308 AR money)... and he loved it. He passed from pancreatic cancer in February after fighting it 18 months, he gave it a hell of a fight! He had a couple of really nice deer similar to your's, but I've always hunted on the ground, yes I've been in a few tree stands, but I love to be on the ground and using available cover..

I love seeing my arrows fly, and to that end I had the Cobalt blue X7's fletched with 5" pink and white feathers,, few things are more beautiful than watching a beautifully constructed arrow fly true to its target, the one thing archers have over shooters, although I have heard that with some antique weapons you might also see your projectile in flight, lol... I do shoot the carbons, and although I had only given perfunctory attention to my bows the last 10 years, it is coming back, and that TRX is a longer axle to axle bow, and very smooth on release..

I will pray for you Brother, I hate it that you are no longer able to get out there with your bow, but I have no doubt you will find a way to make that crossbow earn its keep, until you are  healed up enough to get back to the "stik and string'!! In the meantime, be patient, with the involvement of all those bone and muscles, do your PT, but do NOT rush your recovery, give yourself the time to heal properly, and I have no doubt that in a year or so, you are back in business... that crosbow will keep you occupied in the meantime...

Take your time with your rifle as well, was it your left shoulder or right? Hang in there Bub, in the meantime, feel free to tell us about some of those hunts, there's a bunch of work hanging on that wall! billy

Sorry to hear about your brother @billymagg . 

If I can't , I'll stop by a friends house & have him pull it back lol. I usually hunt from my Equalizer tree stand, if weather is bad, or due to physical limitations this rear, I'll be on the ground in my Big Mike's blind. 

This is last year's archery buck

Screenshot_20191020-014948.png

Edited by Lonewolf McQuade

5 minutes ago, Lonewolf McQuade said:

Sorry to hear about your brother @billymagg . 

If I can't , I'll stop by a friends house & have him pull it back lol. I usually hunt from my Equalizer tree stand, if weather is bad, or due to physical limitations this rear, I'll be on the ground in my Big Mike's blind. 

This is last year's archery buck

Screenshot_20191020-014948.png

No wonder you had shoulder issues, that is damn near hereford size, so where do you live, that looks like a corn, soybean, and alfalfa buck to me, good eating! These farm country dear taste wonderful, and if you get them hung, they can be tender too!

2 minutes ago, billymagg said:

No wonder you had shoulder issues, that is damn near hereford size, so where do you live, that looks like a corn, soybean, and alfalfa buck to me, good eating! These farm country dear taste wonderful, and if you get them hung, they can be tender too!

I hunt near the Alleghney county airport. Lots of corn & soybean in the area to feed on.

4 minutes ago, Lonewolf McQuade said:

I hunt near the Alleghney county airport. Lots of corn & soybean in the area to feed on.

I can tell, that is a monster.. Yes I hated losing my brother, he was a big pork industry guru, he even had the Chinese hog farmers come over to see what he was doing, he worked his ass off, was very big in AI breeding. When my Dad was raising pigs, we were happy to survive 8-12 piglets, Jim had some litters with 30+ piglets, it was something to see. He was 15 months younger than me, so we went to duke city fairly frequently...

He had a beautiful 21 ft Triton with a big 250 Evinrude, Triton's are squirelly things to drive, but Jim had it down to a fine art, his boat would top out at 82 mph. He loved Kentucky Lake and caught a bunch of Smallmouth there... his wife had to sell his boat, that was a heartbreaker for me...

5 minutes ago, Belt Fed said:

I've only had one bow. a PSE mach2 i believe. i have an old recurve bow now that was my brother in laws. my sister gave it to me after he died. I can't even pull the damn thing back.lol.  i have crossbows but i couldn't hit a bull in the ass at 5 yards with either of them.

I hear you, I fought mine and I couldn't get them off the hard cam, this Mathew's is fast, but I probably have it down around 52 lbs, its not bad when you shoot the first half-dozen, after that its work. This thing doesn't really have a "valley", you maintain quite a bit of weight.  My Bowtech ended up with to short of a draw length, I'm shooting around 29 1/2"s with the Mathews, I'm getting a much more consistent anchor, I did have to replace the modules as I switched to a shorter release.