• Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Looking for improvements in my recoil system.

DTNG_TX2TN

First, thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

Next, some background, I’ve only been a member for about 2 years and don’t know enough to hand out advice but I do spend a lot of time reading what’s been put out here. With that I’m hoping I can describe what’s going on, what I think I’ve read as the potential solution, and avoid some water boarding when I ask my questions.

Base gun: DPMS G2 Recon, don’t know the gas port size didn’t measure it initially and not in a position to measure it now. Proper length gas tube confirmed.

Modifications: Geissele SD-E trigger because I like Geissele triggers, Samson Mfg free float hand guard and DPMS Oracle barrel nut because I hated the cheese grater quad rail, BCMGUNFIGHTER Compensator to replace the AAC flash hider, SiCo Omega suppressor because taking a shot too close to the blind window once was enough, Superlative Arms adjustable gas block set to full open purge to release some gas earlier in the cycle.

Issue: From day one it has shown significant recoil impulse, big muzzle flip and it was to the point I was starting to develop a flinch. Added the compensator and that helped quite a bit with the muzzle flip but it was still more impulse than I had hoped for from a gas gun. When I added the suppressor I also added the AGB and until I set it to full purge (vs restrict) I was seeing signs of pressure on my brass by way of hard extractor swipes and a stuck bolt once. When setting up the AGB I was never able to stop the bolt from locking back on the last round by purging gas (I could with restricted).

What I’ve learned from this group: I was just spending some time going through the group for general discussions on the DPMS G2 when a saw a post from SHRADE that showed a possible similar issue and solution. From there I followed a number of threads and my understanding is that DPMS used a 7” buffer tube which then caused them to use a 2.5” buffer which maxes out at 3.8oz and a stronger spring as a work around for a properly weighted buffer. I confirmed this on my gun. SHRADE also told me that Clint at Heavy Buffers has a 5.5 oz. Car-10 buffer and a proper spring. In looking at Heavybuffers.com I see that he also sells a Car-10 XH 6.5 oz buffer recommended for suppressors use.

Questions: With all that said am I on the right track, would my next step be to proceed with the heavier buffer or are there other factors I need to consider first? If I go with the 6.5 oz buffer because I generally run a suppressor, is there a likelihood I could remove the AGB and expect it to run reliably, clearly I’ll have to test this but would prefer not to require it?

Thanks again

5 hours ago, DTNG_TX2TN said:

When setting up the AGB I was never able to stop the bolt from locking back on the last round by purging gas (I could with restricted).

I had the same experience with my Superlative block. Maybe try it on the restriction side, I know it defeats the purpose of the block that way, I think they should be more upfront about the by-pass side not being adequate for 308. Wish they would give us a 308 version with by-pass

5 hours ago, DTNG_TX2TN said:

If I go with the 6.5 oz buffer because I generally run a suppressor, is there a likelihood I could remove the AGB and expect it to run reliably, clearly I’ll have to test this but would prefer not to require it?

I run a couple 308 rifles with suppressor, no adjustable gas block, and a heavy buffer, they both function fine with or without the suppressor, just a little harder on brass with the suppressor on.

1 hour ago, jtallen83 said:

I had the same experience with my Superlative block. Maybe try it on the restriction side, I know it defeats the purpose of the block that way, I think they should be more upfront about the by-pass side not being adequate for 308. Wish they would give us a 308 version with by-pass

I run a couple 308 rifles with suppressor, no adjustable gas block, and a heavy buffer, they both function fine with or without the suppressor, just a little harder on brass with the suppressor on.

Yeah I expected the by-pass to do a better, hopefully with a heavier buffer and the block I may get the results I want.   Thanks

2 hours ago, sagebrush said:

@DTNG_TX2TNi believe if you read the product info on heavy buffers website you will find that the xh6.5 buffer can only be used in an armalite extension or a vltor extension. not to be used in an ar15 extension (7") 

There's a CAR-10 XH that's 6.5oz and 2.500" long, available there.  That would be a good option.  Must run the 2.500" buffers in the 7.000" internal depth (AR15 Carbine) extensions for these things.

2 hours ago, sagebrush said:

@DTNG_TX2TNi believe if you read the product info on heavy buffers website you will find that the xh6.5 buffer can only be used in an armalite extension or a vltor extension. not to be used in an ar15 extension (7") 

I'll double check but I emailed Clint today and he recommended the car-10 XH 6.5 . The XH carbine buffer 8.5 is recommended for the 7 5/8 tube. Thanks

• 2 weeks later...