• Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

New Guy to Forum - Building DPMS AR-10 - Need Reccomendations for what to buy, & from who ?

Lfryklu

• 2 weeks later...
Hey Guys,

Since last time I've been busy selecting parts for my build, but looking for some advice on few parts.

Here is what I have put together so far:

Upper Receiver
  • Upper - Aero Precision M5 308 Std.
  • Barrel - Criterion 18" Chrome Lined .750 w/Ext Mid-Length M118(7.62&NATO)
  • Handguard - Aero Precision Atlas M5 12" M-LOK w/Barrel Nut
  • BCG - Fulton Armory
  • Gas tube - BCM Mid-Length
  •  
  • Gas Block - Thinking of Black Rain .750 Adjustable - ????
  • Muzzle Brake - Thinking of Precision Arms M4-72 SEVERE-DUTY In SS - ????
  • Charging Handle - Hmmmm ??
  • Upper Receiver parts kit - Thinking of Davidson Defense ????
  • Charging Handle - Would like an extended release version ????
Lower Receiver
  • Lower parts kit - DPMS, or CCMG - LPK .308
  • Grip - Houge Beavertail
  •  
  • Fire Control Group - Thinking of Rise Armament RA-140 ????
  • Stock - Thinking of Delta Tactical SOPMOD Adjustable - DT has it on sale $89 ????
Any recommendations: for Gas Block & Muzzle Break? Or, DT Stock kit ?
So many of these to choose from....

Would appreciate any suggestions on some parts.

Thanks,

Lfryklu

30 minutes ago, Lfryklu said:
Hey Guys,

Since last time I've been busy selecting parts for my build, but looking for some advice on few parts.

Here is what I have put together so far:

Upper Receiver
  • Upper Receiver parts kit - Thinking of Davidson Defense ????
  • Stock - Thinking of Delta Tactical SOPMOD Adjustable - DT has it on sale $89 ????

Scratch these clowns straight off your list.  It's not worth the headaches that you'll incur. 

You're build an Aero M5 upper - just get the real Aero M5 upper parts kit, and be done with it.  It'll WORK.  That shiit from Davidson Defense is rejects and seconds, and might not fit.  Don't be tempted by the dollar, and don't be tempted that they might say it's in stock - they commonly lie about inventory.

Delta Team Tactical stock that looks JUST LIKE a B-5 SOPMOD stock...  and cheap!  It's chinese, and should be on an airsoft gun.  Just buy the B-5 Systems real stock, if that's what you're looking at.

Parts aren't easy to find right now - so don't go with airsoft parts on a real firearm.  If that's what you want - then wait for the real parts to come in stock somewhere.

By the way - thanks for sticking around, even after all the shiit we gave you.  :thumbup:

P.S.  Those two companies are the same company... 

https://www.deltateamtactical.com/davidson-defense-ar-15-parts.html

Edited by 98Z5V

Thanks for the reply.

Good info.

I was considering their/Davidson's upper parts kit, not for the price but is the only one I could find with parts in 'FDE finish'.

I don't want cheap crap, when most all the rest of parts I've selected is top notch stuff or at least I think so.

FYI - Also looking at some other stock options on Brownells. 

So much to choose from everywhere.... no matter what part...

Any suggestions for the stock, or other parts I identified as 'thinking about'...  muzzle brake, gas block,...

To be honest, I did not feel too welcome when I joined up, but I'm still here & respecting opinions & asking for info from those that know a lot more about the platform.

I guess my skin is pretty thick at my age... & I'm still asking for help to get it right.

Any thoughts on mentioned parts I'm looking for input on?

Thanks,

Lfryklu

19 minutes ago, Lfryklu said:

Any thoughts on mentioned parts I'm looking for input on?

1 hour ago, Lfryklu said:

Upper Receiver

• Upper - Aero Precision M5 308 Std.
  • Barrel - Criterion 18" Chrome Lined .750 w/Ext Mid-Length M118(7.62&NATO)
  • Handguard - Aero Precision Atlas M5 12" M-LOK w/Barrel Nut
  • BCG - Fulton Armory
  • Gas tube - BCM Mid-Length
  •  
  • Gas Block - Thinking of Black Rain .750 Adjustable - ????

Solid parts list for the upper, run with it.  Just get a cheap standard gas block for now, and don't worry about an adjustable gas block - if you build the rifle right, you won't need an adjustable gas block.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Guys

'i have a few more parts to buy, but for one of them I need to ask if the Upper Ejection Port door is 'the same' for either platform - either M4/AR-15, or M5/LR-308?

I'm contrasting Upper finish in black, with the door & forward assist button in FDE.

I think they are the same, but need to confirm B4 I order.

Looking at couple different Muzzle Brakes, but right now I'm thinking it might be a: 

Precision Arms 

AR .308 M4-72 SEVERE-DUTY BRAKE  In SS

Any thoughts on either of these?

Thanks

Lfryklu

Okay,

All parts are ordered & most are received except for the Aero Precision M5 M-Loc 12" Quad rail handguard I want for my build.

They have been out of stock, and waiting for them to resupply but not yet - its the last part I need.

Question though, I have been looking for an Armorers Wrench/Tool to accommodate .308 builds and most are out of stock and ones available are few & far between.

I did find this one from The Country Shed, a combo AR-15/LR-308 multi tool for $32 plus shipping:

https://www.thecountryshed.com/GunTec-AR-15-AR-308-Armorers-Combination-Wrench-Gen-2_p_2494.html

Can anyone recommend something better than this one?

Appreciate the knowledge share.

Thanks

Lfryklu

GunTec USA makes GREAT armorer's wrenches.  I've broken 3 or 4 in the past, but my GunTec is still working.  It's not that combo that you're posting, just an AR15 wrench, but I've never destroyed it - and it's built a few guns.  My MagPul armorer's wrench is my go-to these days, but it won't do alot of things on a .308AR - does everything on AR15s, and has a bottle opener integrated...  :laffs:

Most .308AR handguards  (and many AR15s) have the option to buy their barrel nut wrench when you get the handguard, and that is always the best way to go - because there is no standard.  Handguard manufacturers can do whatever they want, whatever suits them, and we can't control that.  For AR15s, I know Geissele, ALG Defense, LaRue,Troy, and Midwest Industries all have their own deal - get their wrench.  Same with almost all of the .308s.

Here's my barrel nut wrench collection:

1953356922_Barrelnutwrenches.thumb.jpg.6f9487e3b5468a3bc9a3130ad7e76ba6.jpg

Thanks for your reply.

It's good to know that GunTec is a solid brand and, that the MagPul is your 'go to' tool.

It is a GunTec tool that I sent the link on.

I'll have to look for the MagPul tool...

Also good to know that 'it is best' to buy the handguard manufacturers wrench too, that is specific to their HG nut.

I am hoping to get opportunity to buy an Aero 12" HG for my build  if & when they become available.

This GunTec wrench says it does both AR-15 & LR-308 uses, but I know it can't do everything.

It looks like quite an assortment of wrench's you have accumulated.

If you, or anyone else thinks the link I supplied for the GunTec wrench in the link would be a 'good bet' to buy for most of the LR-308 tool needs, I'll go for it.

Appreciate your pointing out the mfgr. specific tool need for their nut.

Let me know.

Stay heathy.

The 'poop storm' is coming....

Best regards

Lfryklu

• 1 month later...

Hi Guys

My build project is held up due to un-availability of a 12" Aero Precision M5 Enhanced M-Loc handguard, right from Aero.

Have most everything else...

Any alternate suggestions?

I have a notification request in that I've been monitoring for quite sometime...

Appreciate

Lfryklu

21 hours ago, Lfryklu said:

Hi Guys

My build project is held up due to un-availability of a 12" Aero Precision M5 Enhanced M-Loc handguard, right from Aero.

Have most everything else...

Any alternate suggestions?

Anything that you can find in the "DPMS High" rail height will work.  It there's anything out there, that's what you need to find to mate up to your upper receiver height.