• Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

New Guy to Forum - Building DPMS AR-10 - Need Reccomendations for what to buy, & from who ?

Lfryklu

Hi Guys,

I am a New Guy to your Forum.

I'm building an AR-10 (DPMS Platform ) & need reccomendations for what to buy, & from who ?

Normally, I learn a lot at gunshows, but Covid knocked all those out.

With Demo changes coming in soon, I'm looking to get things done & purchases made B4 JB settles in.

I think I'm looking for an accurate rifle, not a carbine, w/longer stainless barrel, maybe fluted.

My lower is Dark Earth Cerakote, and I'd like the look of a two-tone complete upper.

Black upper, w/DE Cera handguard, & a DE Cera ejection port door for contrast.

I need everything except the lower, so a 'complete kit' would be nice, but I'm not finding exactly what I want yet. and don't know who has the 'good stuff'...?

I get daily em's from most of the gun co's. (Palmetto, Delta, DE, etc) & just today found on GB - Barrier Defense.

Liking what I see on their site, but I'm novice w/AR-10 platform, so gotta ask for help.

I looked for Reviews on them (BD) & found one (1) BBB Complaint advising to stay away from them...?

Trouble is most companies have some complaints, so gotta ask Guys 'in the know' so to speak & ask for their advice on who is best to buy from.

I am member of M-14 Forum, & have M-1A's, but this is different animal.

Can you guys help guide me so I can make my parts purchases soon, to get in B4 it 'hits the Demo fan'...?

I need everything except lower, have DPMS platform, & mentioned a little of what I'm thinking about for some of it.

Can you Guys - please help guide me thru my build journey, so I dont totally screw it up?

I wanna be happy at the end of the day... hopefully.

Thanks & best regards.

Lfryklu

Sorry if this offends you but that was a painful read. Now here we go......

1. You aren’t building an AR10. You are building an 308AR or LR308 in DPMS pattern. AR10 is owned by Armalite and they are a proprietary pattern that your lower (if it is in fact DPMS) will not fit. 

2. What brand lower do you have? You should stick to the same brand upper to avoid tolerance stacking.

3.  Read the sticky threads here and you will learn all you need to know instead of asking the same questions that literally seem to be asked by every new member.

4.  We will gladly help you with more info. Like but not limited to: what is your budget? A $3000 rifle without optics or a $1000 rifle will get very different parts suggestions. (Thinking along something you are familiar with: JAE vs traditional wood)

5.  What ranges are you shooting this at? Big difference on suggestions. 16” will get you to 800 if you do your part with a quality barrel. Barrel length doesn’t equal accuracy. More importantly, will you hunt with this? A 24”, 15 lb rifle would suck in the woods.... food for thought. 

6. Get back to us answering these and some reading you’ll have many of your questions may answered

Welcome to the forum.  What brand of lower do you have?  All DPMS based lowers are not the same.  Can you post a picture of it?

Since you are looking for a rifle stock, you should consider this from Armalite.  https://www.armalite.com/SACItem.aspx?Item=EA6050

There is no difference in rifle receiver extensions between Armalite and DPMS.

2 hours ago, Armed Eye Doc said:

Welcome to the forum.  What brand of lower do you have?  All DPMS based lowers are not the same.  Can you post a picture of it?

Since you are looking for a rifle stock, you should consider this from Armalite.  https://www.armalite.com/SACItem.aspx?Item=EA6050

There is no difference in rifle receiver extensions between Armalite and DPMS.

Hi,

Thanks for your response

Using a 5D Tactical lower, doing my own work.

Stock - Standard A2... Guess I was thinking of something else on this.  Have one of those on my early issue Colt SP-1.

Receiver extension - meaning stock... ?  Yes, those are compatible between platforms.

I'll take another look at using A2 standard stock.

Appreciate your suggestion.

4 minutes ago, Lfryklu said:

Receiver extension - meaning stock... ?  Yes, those are compatible between platforms.

Receiver extension is exactly what it is, even though people call if a "buffer tube".  It's not the stock.  Not all of them are compatible, either, when you start looking at recoil system components that go inside, and make the entire gun work.  Or not.

So, 80% lower right out of the gate, huh?  See if 5D Tactical sells a stripped upper receiver.  If they do, buy it.  Otherwise, it's a crapshoot on compatibility, and you'll be experimenting, seeing what works, what doesn't.  Maybe you'll get lucky on the first one.  Your machining needs to be perfect, too. 

What state do you live in?...   :popcorn:

Edited by 98Z5V

Thanks for clarifying part name - Not used to various formal/common part names, as more used to Buffer Tube term.

I'll make sure to look closely at what goes inside to make it work.

Yep - Using 80% Gen 3 system, & have mechanical background.

Guess maybe need to buy their upper, unless you are referring to other additional potential incompatibilities?

Trying to have this be more than just luck - that's why I came to the Forum asking questions.

Appreciate you sharing your thoughts.

I am a perfectionist, so thinking I'll be okay there.

7 minutes ago, Lfryklu said:

Yep - Using 80% Gen 3 system, & have mechanical background.

Every new guy that's joined up in the last two weeks, asking the exact same questions, has been a Mechanical Engineer.  So, you're in good company with all the other new guys. 

Build your gun, and shoot it, and we'll work from there, based on what happens when you shoot it. Match your upper and lower, from the same company, and cut down on your headaches - that way, you have ONE place to talk to, that makes BOTH parts.  No excuses that way, from them.

22 hours ago, Lfryklu said:

I am a perfectionist, so thinking I'll be okay there.

Okay, but you missed this question... 

22 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

What state do you live in?...   :popcorn:

What state do you live in?  Recomendations depends on that, right there, with all the different restrictive-state gun laws.  That's an important question to just not "gloss over" and ignore...   :thumbup:

Edited by 98Z5V

23 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

Every new guy that's joined up in the last two weeks, asking the exact same questions, has been a Mechanical Engineer.  So, you're in good company with all the other new guys. 

Build your gun, and shoot it, and we'll work from there, based on what happens when you shoot it. Match your upper and lower, from the same company, and cut down on your headaches - that way, you have ONE place to talk to, that makes BOTH parts.  No excuses that way, from them.

Hi,

Today I contacted 5D to ask for 'matched upper & lower set'.

I am indeed taking advice given.

Appreciate the recommendation.

HNY

Best regards, Lfryklu

2 minutes ago, Lfryklu said:

Best regards, Lfryklu

AWESOME!

1 hour ago, 98Z5V said:

Okay, but you missed this question... 

What state do you live in? 

SO, WHAT STATE DO YOU LIVE IN?! 

How did you miss that?!!?.

Answer up, man.

Oh, 44 minutes agoi!!!  I DID miss that, with all your New Year Well Wishes that is was all lumped into. My bad.  Thanks for answering that, and answering it again.  Sucks that it took two people asking you that, to get to the information.  Usually, an Intro Thread will state where you are from.  You missed that part, I missed your final answering of that.  Chock it up to misinformation and confusion.