• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Lube For New LAR-8

Many of us use Mobil One 10W40 synthetic motor oil. Soak the BCG bolt and the inside of the upper where the BCG runs and  get it almost dripping wet, be sure to not oil the chamber. This works pretty well to break in the rifle, Many of us considered 100 rounds about right for break in, back when ammo was cheaper, maybe 20 or 25 rounds will be a good start. 147 grain 7.62 x 51. If you don't get a manual for the rifle there is a DPMS manual online that can be downloaded, there is a thread some where here about downloading a manual.

Edited by mrmackc

1 hour ago, Armed Eye Doc said:

Here is a link to the LAR-8 manual.

https://www.rockriverarms.com/images/pdfs/RRA_LAR8opman.pdf

As Mack said, Mobil One is a great lubricant.  In addition to not getting it in the chamber, you will need to wipe oil from the bolt face prior to shooting.

Thanks for the help Doc. And That is a great download for anLAR-8 manual from RR Arms.

I was hoping  that CAUTION! would get you to download the manual, curiosity may have killed the cat, but it may have saved a shooter.

By the way the BCG goes together easily without that cam pin. ask me how I know.

Any time the rifle is fired with a normal round and the campin is nor in the rifle It will be a mackeral (next thing to a miracle) if it don't explode.

No,  Stonebuster  cam pin not a design flaw in most cases problems with the cam pin and it's function is an operator error!

You wonder if RRA emphasizes this warning. 

RRA 's manual has the warning about the cam pin printer in RED  for a reason, don't you think?

Darwin, sometimes catches a nap on the job!

OK. I got the Mobil 40 and stripped the BCG just to the bolt. All parts well oiled and ready to break in.

I now fully understand the cam pin and its relation to the firing pin and bolt body. I went ahead and ordered an extra cam pin, firing pin, and firing pin retaining pin.

I will start another post on this rifle after I get some pics. Thanks for all the great information.

Buster

6 hours ago, Stonebuster said:

Not big money really-they warn you about explosions and such if it is damaged. I'll just put the parts in the butt of the gun. Do firing pin retaining pins ever fail or dislodge under normal usage?

Buster

They can distort, when you're shooting hot loads.  Makes them a real PITA to get out, and they'll never go back in after that. 

On 6/3/2021 at 12:07 PM, 392heminut said:

Can't say as I've ever heard of a cam pin failing.

Several that I know of have been in Law Enforcement issued Ar 15 and M16, no data on LR308 but it is something to be aware of, Cam pins have been known to crack or distort in some inspected rifles. I under stand many SWAT teams do a lot of practice with the 5.56 issue rifles. I am friends of a former Texas Sheriff 's Dept. Armorer..