• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Detonics Scoremaster

Para308

I am in the process of purchasing a Bellevue, WA Detonics Scoremaster in .451 Det. Magnum and it has a second barrel in .45ACP.  Both barrels are 6 inches long.  It also comes with 500 new cases (specially produced for Detonics with the Detonics head stamp) in .451 Det. Mag.  Midway sells an aftermarket version for $60+ per box of 50!

post-37-136297270047_thumb.jpg

post-37-136297270049_thumb.jpg

post-37-136297270055_thumb.jpg

post-37-13629727006_thumb.jpg

post-37-136297270062_thumb.jpg

post-37-136297270064_thumb.jpg

Oh, Sweet Mary, Mother of...    :o

It's the .45 ACP on steroids.  I just had to look this one up, and I found some scary stuff.  I think I want one, too...  :P

451 Detonics

Historical Notes:

Various mechanical features of the Colt M1911 A1 auto pistol have prevented any significant ballistic advantage in the cartridges it chambers. One of these weaknesses is that a portion of the cartridge head is unsupported so operating pressures are dictated by the strength of that portion of the case. The 45 Winchester Magnum has a substantially stronger case head and dimensions identical to the 45 ACP except for greater length. In their search for a more potent 45 caliber round for their 45 caliber pistols, the Detonics Mfg. Co. decided to take advantage of this by trimming the 45 Winchester Magnum from its normal length of 1.198 inches to that of .942 inch. This is still sufficiently longer than the 45 ACP so that the 451 Detonics cartridge will not chamber in handguns intended for the 45 ACP. The newly created case will handle much higher pressures than the original 45 ACP and still function through actions of the same length. Detonics not only chambered their Scoremaster and Combat Master semi-auto pistols for the 451 Detonics, they also offered a conversion kit for the Colt Government, Gold Cup, and Commander pistols. The cartridge was introduced in 1983 and Detonics furnished empty cases headstamped 451 Det/Mag. Alternately, cases can be made from cut down 308 Winchester brass. The Detonics company has since gone out of business. Brass in this caliber is no longer available.

General Comments:

The idea of a more powerful 45 ACP cartridge has long intrigued 45 auto buffs. The 451 Detonics was a viable solution to what has heretofore been an insoluble problem. A 185 grain bullet at 1353 fps and a 200 grain at 1281 fps is a significant boost to the usual 45 ACP performance of a 230 grain at 850 fps. Recoil at this top loading gets rather heavy, so most users of the 451 will want to stay below the top loads. The 451 Detonics is a good self defense or field cartridge for small game or varmint shooting.

98Z5V, you poor deprived soul!

Please...allow me to help you.

http://460rowland.com/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.460_Rowland

A buddy of mine thought to himself "This looks like an interesting cartridge," and got a MechTech carbine for the .460 Rowland.  Stick a fork in him...he's done!  .44 Mag performance from a 1911.

Glad I could help!  8)

Jon