• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Rainier barrels

Robocop1051

I was recently in the market for a new barrel. I couldn't beat the prices and availability that Rainier provided.

I wasn't sure what I wanted at first, and jumped on the budget train for a "Rainier Select" barrel. I got the barrel 2 days later. It looked good. 1:8 twist, 5.56 chambered and polygonal rifling. The barrel seemed a little rough though. Not bad, just not 100%.

I couldn't see the $200 jump to the Ultra Match barrel.

Last week Rainier brought out a limited run of "Rainier Match" barrels. The cost difference between the Select and the Match was minuscule. I quickly stripped off my unfired Select barrel, sold it online, and ordered the Match.

If packaging is any start to a first impression, then wow! The Match barrel came wrapped in what can best be described as a compression sleeve. Upon my first inspection the quality difference from the Select is overwhelming.

Here is what Rainier Arms writes:

Description:

Many have asked us to build a barrel with the same workmanship as our UltraMatch™ barrels while keeping it more affordable. Our Match™ barrels are the answer. We start off using a Wilson blank in 1:8 twist, machine it to a highest quality and matched with our limited-life time warranty, you have a barrel that is the best value, hands down, in the industry. We are so confident in our Match™ barrels that we will offer a 100% money back guarantee within 90 days of purchase. If you aren’t completely satisfied with the barrel for any reason, return it for a full refund, no questions asked.

These are similar to the White Oak Armament Barrels which are made with Wilson blanks but offer a 1:8 twist to accommodate to a wide range of bullet weights. Guaranteed to shoot sub-MOA with match grade ammo.

**This will be a limited run, as barrel blanks from Wilson are experiencing extremely long weight times. Get them while they last.

Features:

* Stainless Steel Match Grade Wilson Blank

* Length: 14.5″

* Twist: 1:8

* Thread Pitch: 1⁄2 X 28

* .750 Gas Block Seat

* .223 Wylde Chamber

* Midlength Gas System

* M4 Feed Ramps

* Proprietary Contour

* Bead Blasted Finish

* Weight: 1 lbs 15 oz

I hope to have pictures for you guys soon.

The Select barrel had very similar stats to the Daniel Defense barrels. That is what initially intrigued me. The only problem was they didn't say where exactly they came from.

The Match barrels are stamped ".223 Wylde W B". I've never known Wilson to do anything halfassed. If it performs as they say, I'm already impressed.

Here's a sneak peek till I can get to my work bench. 

f6fc19f5.jpg

That is the exact way my Nordic Components midlength barrel arrived, and it's a Wilson.  <thumbsup>

Robo, I hope you got your LEO discount on that.  If you didn't, you'll kick yourself when you find out how good that discount is.  <dontknow>

EDIT - From the shipped price you stated, you definitely got your discount.  <thumbsup> ;D

You're going to LOVE this barrel - it's certainly a shooter. 

• 3 weeks later...

When I was researching my 308 build, I had a lot of conversations with Rainier. Pretty sure they're having BHW (black hole weaponry) out of bonnie lake, WA(or near by) making their barrels.

They won't say for sure, but reading between the lines in conversations with them.

I have heard a lot of positives from Rainier, also bhw has a lot of positives from people that own their barrels, their customer service is lacking so going through Rainier is a great idea, as Rainier's customer service is top notch.