• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

electronic hearing protection

unforgiven

I have tinnitus don't know what total silence,have a constant high pitched hum in my head from industry,loud concerts,shooting,fireworks,using a impact on metal and 2 ex-wives.Whats out there?Whats the most effective?Whats the best value? Based on user experience,also made in the U.S.A..Shoot on bros

My wife has very sensitive hearing and she and I both like the Howard Weight Impact Pro sport electronic hearing pro. My wife likes them because if she wants to she can use earplugs along with them and still be able to hear a conversation. One of the major things that I like is that they are low profile and therefore don't interfere as much with my cheek weld on my rifle.

• 1 month later...

The Tinnitus is bad enough.  Then the frequencies that are blank for me.  My hearing protection has infinite battery life.

I put reusable plugs in my ears.  These can supposedly be left in and conversation can be heard but the high intensity pulse of gunfire will be blocked.  My ears respond some to all this,  but I still need to pull the plugs out to hear anything serious.  I put the plugs into my ears before I even get out of the car when I arrive at the outdoor range.

Entry to the range is through the store.  Before I go out to the shooting bench area I put a headset/earmuff protector on in addition. 

I have seen people using only those little throwaway foam earplugs wince to the point of a visible jolt when a big caliber rifle (what are those guys shooting that rocks the whole firing line?) goes off or when something like a full-house 44 mag fires.  I do too with only my little plugs.  The headset over top helps a lot.

I have the range officers mostly trained to tap me on the shoulder when the range is going green.  With the double hearing protectors and my bad ears,  I am usually just lost in trying to create only one hole in that sheet of paper out there.

High tech is great,  but I think I am happier with just the older ear plugs and foam lined covers.  Also,  as mentioned,  I have not had battery or circuit board failure with these.

Indoor ranges are loud especally when the guy in the next stall pulls out his Desert Egale.I use plugs and try to shoot outdoors as much as possible.Sometimes even outdoors with the guy on one side with the .300 WinMag and the guy with the 06 or .338 on the other,can't push plugs in far enough.I figure I can stack plugs under muffs and turn up mic,gonna see how it works out. <dontknow>