• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

I like wheel guns!

washguy

Wheeeeeeel guns?! What type of KoolAid you drinking?!

EVERYONE knows  ::)  they are an ineffective fighting platform, regardless of the fact that revolvers are inherently AMERICAN.  So what if our law enforcement and military relied on revolvers for 140 years?  That's 90 years longer than the insightful Europeans, after they adopted the semi-auto platform nearly universally.

And ONLY six shots?!  Puh-leeze!  If you can't shoot a 15 shot pattern, reload in 1.8 seconds, and launch another 15 rounds in the general direction of someone 20 feet away, you obviously have misgivings that most gunfights only take 3-5 shots.

Yeah...I have a revolver or two.  <thumbsup>

Jon

post-1298-13629727079_thumb.jpg

post-1298-136297270795_thumb.jpg

post-1298-1362972708_thumb.jpg

Cool!

I realized that my inventory has changed since those pics were taken...need new photos.

For wheelies we currently have GP100 6", GP100 4", a Single Six Combo, a Bisley Blackhawk .45 Combo, two of the older 6-shot SP101s in .22 LR (my daughter laid claim on one, bit my hand when I tried to get it back), a Taurus 605, and my Grandfather's non-shooting S&W Regulation Police in .38 S&W.

I think that's a total list.  <dontknow>

I don't suscribe to all the popular knowledge on revolvers...they DO jam (seen it plenty of times in person), the immediate action drills when it jams is to use them as a blunt instrument, they are NOT easier to shoot than a semi-auto, and IMO as an instructor snubbies are a horrible "one-gun person" gun option (really an "experts" gun, as you will have to shoot weekly to stay proficient with a snubby).

But crap they are inherently cool!  If a person practices you can get a speedloader reload to as fast as stuffing in a new mag on a semi-auto.  They do seem to be a bit more accurate (that 6" GeeP will shoot into an inch at 25 yards).

Talking with another instructor who had a group of newer cops at the range.  One asked the instructor why he had a revolver, as the cop had never seen one in person.  He offered the cop a few courses of fire with the revolver and the kid was hooked!  Ran out and bought a S&W 686.

Jon

You don't. The tubes rarely cost more than $25. The cost of your time plus effort is worth more. After about 7k rounds or so (if you are having rifle trouble) just replace the SOB. The tube is much wider than the gas block hole. Id make sure that hole stayed clear of build up and debris and forget the tube.

If it's that big of a deal. Strip the tube off, soak it in Simple Green, then swing by the local tobacco shop for some long pipe cleaners.

Whoa whoa whoa now wait a minute!  Looks like the magazine police has been dipping into the simple green!  <lmao>  <laughs>

Got to clean a couple of revolvers...it was raining this afternoon.

Jon

Whoa whoa whoa now wait a minute!  Looks like the magazine police has been dipping into the simple green!  <lmao>  <laughs>

Got to clean a couple of revolvers...it was raining this afternoon.

Jon

Dang it, I type faster than I think sometimes... Which is really bad, because I can't type  <dontknow>

We've got a guy that comes out to the matches and shoots a S&W 625. with moon clips. The guy is impressively fast, He's a good shooter, and it's always a treat to watch him reloading during a stage. Makes me want to try a revolver. One thing I did notice, When shooting the revolver for speed, it seems to me that your being pretty rough on the gun during reloads. You know, You, hit the release lever, swing out the cylinder(not always completely controlled by your weak hand) hit the shell rod to eject the shells, slap another moon clip in, and slam the cylinder closed. I've always been lead to understand that being rough when opening/closing the cylinder leads to premature wear and damage to the lock up and subsequently reduce accuracy. I wonder if anyone here could give any input on this, does shooting a revolver in matches, tend to shorten it's lifespan?

Rough and supported is one thing but the Hollywood wrist snaps are really hard on the crane/yoke.

Watch your 625 shooter carefully...I'd be willing to bet on opening and closing, his fingers are wrapping around the action.  You may need to film it and watch in slow motion.  <lmao>

Search Jerry Miculek on Youtube.  There is a clip of him shooting his 625 where he blasts all six plates, unloads, reloads, then blasts all six plates AGAIN in like 2.1 seconds.  He says he likes the revolver because he can pull the trigger and doesn't have to wait for the slide to cycle back and forth.

Practice with speedloaders and you can get fast.

Practice with moonclips and you can get mongo fast.

And remember...they make moonclips now for most any major revolver, and you can have the cylinders machined to take singles or moonclips.

If you are looking at a S&W 627 8-shot you are on par with a 1911 firepower wise.

Jon

• 3 weeks later...

Had a Ruger security-six .38/.357 nice pistol sold it [now to my regret] got back into firearms and in addition to my XDM have found I mostly carry my S&W bodyguard for easier CC IMO people that carry a revolver would pick thier shots with more thought.In situation where I would expect a higher probability of trouble [i'm not far from Gary Indiana]combined with XDM S&W makes a great New York reload.Shoot on bros.