• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Barrel Options

CAedog

Alright so I've got a lower pretty much done, taking my time buying the parts for the upper. Looking at barrel options right now, wondering what the best bang-for-buck is in the 4-500 dollar range. Been looking at Wilson Combat or Criterion but open to suggestions.

Haven't decided between 18" or 20". I don't have a range nearby with anything farther than 500 yards but I'd like to be able to push it past that one day, this is meant to be a dedicated long-range gun, not too concerned about weight or unwieldiness. Also planning on building a 16" .308 down the road to have something that isn't a pain in the ass to carry around but this current project is just a dedicated precision gun so I'm leaning 20".

Bonus points if it comes in FDE or the manufacturer has an option to get it coated before shipping like Wilson Combat does.

Current specs in case there are any questions:

Aero Precision M5 Lower receiver

Aero Precision Lower Parts Kit

Aero Precision M5 .308 Rifle Buffer kit

CMC single-stage drop-in trigger

Magpul Rifle stock

Magpul K2 grip

Aero Precision M5 upper receiver

(That's as far as I've gotten, the rest of the parts have not been bought yet)

TIA

1 hour ago, CAedog said:

It's all good, yeah the Aero rifle buffer is 5.4 oz.

Verify that the receiver extension is 9 11/16" deep, internally.  Shiit-can the spring and find a real Armalite EA1095 spring, or a Sprinco Red spring.  Use know good springs intially, and it cuts down on diag in the future.

Both barrel makers you listed are excellent.  Don't overlook Ballistic Advantage.  After that, keep an eye on Faxon.  BA before Faxon, but both are very good. 

On 3/4/2022 at 9:58 PM, 98Z5V said:

Verify that the receiver extension is 9 11/16" deep, internally.  Shiit-can the spring and find a real Armalite EA1095 spring, or a Sprinco Red spring.  Use know good springs intially, and it cuts down on diag in the future.

Both barrel makers you listed are excellent.  Don't overlook Ballistic Advantage.  After that, keep an eye on Faxon.  BA before Faxon, but both are very good. 

I just discovered that Ballistic Advantage offers a discount if you buy a barrel and BCG from them at the same time. Haven’t confirmed that they check headspace so please verify…

On 3/7/2022 at 9:53 PM, 98Z5V said:

They do, when you buy at the same time.  If you order online, list that request in the comments line, in your order...  "Please check headspace on the bolt and barrel before shipping..." 

Thanks!  That’s great to know. 

Did you say earlier that Ballistics Advantage is the OEM for Aero Precision barrels?

23 hours ago, CAedog said:

Thanks for the input all, gonna give the Wilson Combat Super Sniper 20" a bit to see if it comes back in stock any time soon, and I'll get a real spring at some point before I put it all together.

Just for info's sake, maybe this will help somebody else picking out parts down the line:

This is what I ordered

This is what I received:

IMG_3100.thumb.JPG.1744020aa76a515e44064c1ce5f8aa2e.JPG

Is this really a rifle receiver extension that's 9 1/2" internal depth?  That needs replaced.  Find someone that has a proper extension, that measures 9 11/16" internal.