• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

DPMS LR308 24” Bull Barrel

Anyone have one of these with the high rise .525 slick side upper?  Im curious what kind of accuracy you’re getting, ive heard claims of sub moa@100 some claiming @2 even 300 and others that is the most inaccurate they’ve ever owned. I know there kind of scarce but just curious. I used mine at a beginners long range course and shot as well and better several bolt guns there to 850 yards, although ive been shooting for years just not at distances that far while others were completely new to shooting period, so auto vs bolt compared to experience vs none

Welcome to the forum. 

Is it a factory gun or did you/someone build it from parts?  Can you post a more detailed list of your gun and its parts? 

You already know this, but there many things that can affect accuracy with the barrel being one of them.  ARs are different than bolt guns and large frame ARs are different than AR15s.

I bought an upper with the low rise receiver . That 24" bull barrel was heavy. Total weight of the gun was 19 lbs. Our group shot it in Sierra Vista. I think 450 yards uphill at targets. But that was like a decade ago. Also remembered shooting it at 900 yards downhill at 4 peaks at posters mounted to a half sheet of plywood. That DPMS was very accurate !

2 hours ago, Armed Eye Doc said:

Welcome to the forum. 

Is it a factory gun or did you/someone build it from parts?  Can you post a more detailed list of your gun and its parts? 

You already know this, but there many things that can affect accuracy with the barrel being one of them.  ARs are different than bolt guns and large frame ARs are different than AR15s.

Hi, yes i found it on an auction new in the box, then, its a slick side with the .525 High Rise Upper, and 24" Bull Barrel.  did a drop in trigger, PRS Stock, 5-25x50 Vortex Viper PST G2, and the bipod.  took it to a 2 day long range course, and everyone there had a 20" Bolt action, so got the Autoloaders aren't accurate, its too heavy, which is a plus,and assorted jabs,  I'm not for hunting, so what if its 19lbs.  Anyway we shot out to 850 yards, and although that's the farthest I've shot, I had no issues hitting steel, while one of the guys with a 6.5 Tikka 6.5 Creedmoor and $4,000 Steiner Scope was stuck trying to make 400, which had to be him, but none of the others shot any better than I did.  The instructors were current LE Snipers and one tried it out said he and he was impressed how stable and well it shot.   There was an article online recently about how even if you spent 5K an AR will never get near any bolt action rifle with any precision.  I'll have to find the site it was kinda comical.  Anyway I'm pretty new to long range, so curious what someone experienced can do with one of these.

unnamed (3).jpg

unnamed (5).jpg

unnamed (8).jpg

unnamed (13).jpg

• 1 month later...
On 4/17/2022 at 9:58 AM, ebbiv said:

Anyone have one of these with the high rise .525 slick side upper?  Im curious what kind of accuracy you’re getting, ive heard claims of sub moa@100 some claiming @2 even 300 and others that is the most inaccurate they’ve ever owned. I know there kind of scarce but just curious. I used mine at a beginners long range course and shot as well and better several bolt guns there to 850 yards, although ive been shooting for years just not at distances that far while others were completely new to shooting period, so auto vs bolt compared to experience vs none

Mine is sub at 300 with a pro behind it, me sub at 100,  ammo is finicky,  168 gr sierra match-king is best in mine.  Needs a match trigger, and good optic build a. Dope chart real time with a. Chrono

• 2 months later...
On 4/17/2022 at 10:37 AM, ebbiv said:

took it to a 2 day long range course,

I'm quite surprised that none of the instructors at that course said anything to you about your scope placement.  If you'da come out here to shoot, that's the very first thing I would have pointed out to you, and made you change, before shooting anything out here.

12 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

I'm quite surprised that none of the instructors at that course said anything to you about your scope placement.  If you'da come out here to shoot, that's the very first thing I would have pointed out to you, and made you change, before shooting anything out here.

What would you change?

12 hours ago, RacerX said:

Never mind - I just saw the other thread, which also has better photos so I see what you noticed.
Too far back, in case anyone else is wondering.

Exactly - like 3 full inches too far back.  There's no way that comfortable to shoot, or effective, when most modern scopes have 3~3.5" of eye relief.  You cheek has to be on the end of the buttstock...

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/24/2022 at 10:38 PM, 98Z5V said:

They did, height was measured for computer, and ammo was chrono'd

On 7/25/2022 at 11:27 PM, 98Z5V said:

Exactly - like 3 full inches too far back.  There's no way that comfortable to shoot, or effective, when most modern scopes have 3~3.5" of eye relief.  You cheek has to be on the end of the buttstock...

Its not, its a quick mount I just set in on there for the photo and those were taken before the course