• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Soft case recommendations

I'm looking for a soft case to transport my AR-10 around. It's scoped and is about 40" long. Would like room for a bipod, suppressor, other junk. I have a Pelican 1750 and it would be great if it could fit in there. I wouldn't be against replacing the 1750 as when flying with it, the latches don't stay latched. When I pick it up, the padlocks are the only thing keeping it closed. Not sure if it's defective or what. Seen the LaRue M.O.A.B. made by someone, Armageddon Gear SASS Precision Rifle Case. They seem decent. Any suggestions?

On 5/6/2022 at 7:24 PM, josiahg52 said:

I'm looking for a soft case to transport my AR-10 around. It's scoped and is about 40" long. Would like room for a bipod, suppressor, other junk. I have a Pelican 1750 and it would be great if it could fit in there. I wouldn't be against replacing the 1750 as when flying with it, the latches don't stay latched. When I pick it up, the padlocks are the only thing keeping it closed. Not sure if it's defective or what. Seen the LaRue M.O.A.B. made by someone, Armageddon Gear SASS Precision Rifle Case. They seem decent. Any suggestions?

The latches take some force to close all the way. When latched completely ,  you should be able to chuck that baby out a second story window & remain securely closed. Unless yours is actually defective .

I keep most of my crap in hard cases

20220412_223450.jpg

20220128_231442.jpg

Edited by Lonewolf McQuade

There shouldn't be ANY Pelican 1750 with latches coming open.  There's either a "latching technique issue" or some bad latches - which I've never seen bad latches on any Pelican case.  And I've used them professionally, for a very long time, and treated them like absolute shiit.  Sometimes, intentionally. 

Just now, josiahg52 said:

Not too much lately. Before, seven, eight times a year.

Call Pelican about your latches.  They'll fix them for free, if they won't stay locked, and it's not from abuse. 

3 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

Call Pelican about your latches.  They'll fix them for free, if they won't stay locked, and it's not from abuse. 

I did many years ago after I purchased two more cases - different sizes and shapes - and experienced no such issues. They sent me new latches. Never got around to installing them as what they sent appears to utilize a different style hinge. Wasn't sure of compatibility.

30 minutes ago, Lonewolf McQuade said:

The latches take some force to close all the way. When latched completely ,  you should be able to chuck that baby out a second story window & remain securely closed. Unless yours is actually defective .

I keep most of my crap in hard cases

20220412_223450.jpg

20220128_231442.jpg

I have two other, different Pelicans with custom built inserts and they latch completely different. They're almost painful to operate. The 1750 seems to "roll" closed in stages.

5 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

Same as all the Pelicans I've used, never had a problem with the latches.  What the hell did you do to them?  Pelican won't replace them?

I've used Pelicans for years in the mil. I knew when I first got mine, the latches felt different. Took it on its first trip in 2006 and was shocked to see them popped open when I picked it up. Thought it was a fluke but it happened on the return trip.

Happened again on another trip then I started using rubber straps to hold the latches down but they would roll off sometimes. I tried using adjustable nylon straps but looked like any fool putting them on at check in. Then one day flying out of Norfolk, the TSA guy asked why/what I was doing. He said, why don't you just tape them and got me a roll of tape. From then on I flew with a roll of Gorilla tape.

i bought two more Pelicans and had custom inserts made and those latches clearly operate differently. I contacted Pelican about my 1750 and they were definitely in disbelief and insisted there was no issue but finally sent me new latches. So I relegated the 1750 to local trips or ones where I am driving myself which it does perfectly fine.

8 minutes ago, josiahg52 said:

I contacted Pelican about my 1750 and they were definitely in disbelief and insisted there was no issue but finally sent me new latches

So, you replaced them?  And they still do this?

I beat Pelicans up militarily as well.  For a long time.  Never had a latch fail on me.  Beat up some Hardigg cases as well, and never had one fail, ever.  The Hardiggs were for all our computer equipment, and we could kick them out of the back of a plane, truck going 50mph, slingload them and crash - they didn't care. 

9 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

So, you replaced them?  And they still do this?

I beat Pelicans up militarily as well.  For a long time.  Never had a latch fail on me.  Beat up some Hardigg cases as well, and never had one fail, ever.  The Hardiggs were for all our computer equipment, and we could kick them out of the back of a plane, truck going 50mph, slingload them and crash - they didn't care. 

Not yet. After getting the new Pelicans, the 1750 became less of a priority. Thing is will be finding the replacement latches. I've moved across the country, back to the US, twice in this area alone.

I have a few smaller Hardigg cases and I like them The M.O.A.B. says it fits in the iM3200.

Edited by josiahg52

13 minutes ago, josiahg52 said:

They were ubiquitous.

Indeed.  When you're around them all the time, and using them all the time, the true definition.  "An everyday thing" is what they were.  Ubiquitous.  For everything.  We stored tools in them, for the motorpool guys - packed, not used, but ready to go - send it when you need to send it.  Boat engines for the guys at the Dive Locker.  Whatever.  Containers packed, maintained, ready for...  whatever.

Flying is always so much fun. Out of Boston, one agent was insistent that they have to "inspect" the firearms to ensure they're unloaded before I can sign the declarations and put them in the cases. I said that's not true but also know arguing with these types is useless so I asked how they want me to accomplish that, do they want to accompany me to another room out back, away from the public, etc. No, we can do it right here. 

My brother was making the trip with me and we exchange looks and he rolls his eyes and shakes his head. I'm like screw it, when is the next time I'll be able to pull out in the middle of Boston. I make quite a show of it so that the agent could feel okay about their responsibilities to ensure my M4, personal Recce, M1014, 700, various pistols were really unloaded. I know I shouldn't have, but I looked around at the reactions. Some were nodding their heads like hell yeah, bad ass. Most looked like they had the vapors and were going to faint right there.

1 hour ago, DNP said:

F9B130A5-9202-46FD-8880-42D786689152.jpeg

:lmao:That's fukin hilarious. That would cost about a bazillion dollars to ship that through a commercial carrier. Last time, my two Pelicans and my duffel cost me more than the seat for my sorry ass. Granted, my larger one one was right under the limit of 100 pounds.