• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

308 necked to 6.5

George Martin

Going through a bunch of stuff I inherited from a Korean war vet buddy of mine. He liked to sporterize military rifles a bunch of which I got. Now I'm sorting through boxes of ammo trying to figure out what is what.

I found a box of ammo that's unmarked. Looks like a .308 case necked to 6.5.

Case lenght: 2.011"

Base: .471"

Rim: .473"

Neck: .292

COL: 2.294"

Bullet Dia: .263"

Does anyone have an idea what this is?

Cheers,

George

The + with the circle around it is the NATO headstamp.  Indicates that it's not a civilian cartridge (unless it's something that's been reloaded into a NATO case.

.308 Win and 7.62x51 NATO.  The 7.62 ammo will have the NATO headstamp, the .308 Win will not.  Same with .223 Rem and 5.56x45 NATO.  the .223 Rem won't have a NATO headstamp, but the 5.56 will.

It would not fit in a 260, UNLESS the 260 had been long throated for a heavy bullet.

160 grain and up are commen 6.5 bullets in many other countrys.

A guy named Ken Waters, you may have heard of him, he wrote for both Handloader and rifle mags, came up with a 6.5X308 in the '60's he called the 263 express.  He used a lot of Norma bullets he had that were .263" in dia.

It's isted on page 356 of PO Ackleys book.  Vol1

Also listed in " The Handloaders Manual of Cartridge Convirsions".  Page 247.

Respectfully

Terry

It would not fit in a 260, UNLESS the 260 had been long throated for a heavy bullet.

160 grain and up are commen 6.5 bullets in many other countrys.

A guy named Ken Waters, you may have heard of him, he wrote for both Handloader and rifle mags, came up with a 6.5X308 in the '60's he called the 263 express.  He used a lot of Norma bullets he had that were .263" in dia.

It's isted on page 356 of PO Ackleys book.  Vol1

Also listed in " The Handloaders Manual of Cartridge Convirsions".  Page 247.

Respectfully

Terry

That's entirely possable . The measurements are close to a couple of cartridges , but close just doesn't make it . Interesting though , isn't it ?

I say wild cat of some sort & it may be a parent 7.62x51 case .

Try checking the dimensions against those for a 6.5-08 Ackerly Improved?

The Ackerly is a re-sized 308 Win/7.62 NATO case with a caliber 6.5 MM bullet.  The Swede 6.5x55 is too long for our short actions.  The Ackerly will fit because it is essentially the same length as the 308 Win.  The 260 Rem is a better caliber because it does not burn up barrels.  The Ackerly gives higher velocities but is very hard on barrels.  Otherwise,  the 6.5 MM caliber is popular in Europe. 

This cartridge is usually made from 308 Win brass because it is either not available in a factory loading or was not until very recently.  I was skimming an article somewhere in a Google search tonight and was not really paying attention to the Ackerly.  I was interested in the 260 which is another 308 Win derivative. 

Okay guys, sorry for the delay, that coal mine is trying to work me to death on graveyards!!! <dontknow>

After further rooting around in all this stuff I came across another box of the same ammo. Here are some pics, it's a .243 case, a 140 gr bullet and 43 grains of a cylindrical powder. what do you think?

DSC_0231.jpg

[img width=810 height=538]http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d83/Gungle_/DSC_0232.jpg

Cheers,

George