• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Plinking Pistol for the GalFriend

DustBuster

On 12/29/2022 at 10:03 PM, 98Z5V said:

But, don't NOT TRY that Sig 365 XL gun out.  She needs to shoot both of them.  I think she'll go with one of those two.  

Okay, almost a Year later and I got one, for her, Unfortunately 🤨. Kinda wish it was going to be my gun.  Sig P365xl Rose.  Last year if I’d have gotten one, it would have been the plain p365xl… I balked at a price quote I got for that at 670.  Then about a month ago  I saw the girly rose package with a nifty safe, and I wanted it for her.  Then when I went to get it, gone, but I could get the one with a Romeo Red dot.  Now my bank account is empty, and I’m drooling over the pistol that I wish was gonna be mine.  In the future I’ll have to get a p365xlspectre comp… The rose will be fun to help sight in and assist with after Christmas… thanks gentleman for your recommendations. I can always consult back to this discussion if want to try Non-Sig pistols.  I like what I’ve seen on UTube about this one and think I will like the results I see on the 26th.  Glad it will be the Comp version.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I realize that I'm late to the game here... but my advice for a new shooter is to pick up something like a bull barrel buckmark 22lr semi pistol.   Why?   

1) It's not "scary" to shoot.  This might not be a huge thing - but it might be.   If you want her to enjoy shooting, its smart to start her out with something that is not intimidating and that does not "hurt."  I watched an idiot at the next table over hand his 70ish year old (looking) mother a snubby .357 (box of 158gr .357 was the only revolver ammo on the table).  She pulled one round, almost dropped the gun, and refused to pick it up again.   A subcompact 9mm is not nearly that bad - but its going to be a bunch snappier than a bull barrel 22lr semi.  Again - this may or may not be an issue - but you want to protect her desire to shoot by making it fun and not painful...

2) It's super cheap to shoot - you can go out and put 325 rounds through it for $20.  Doing the same thing with 9MM - if you buy the cheapest bulk brass case stuff I can find on AmmoSeek is going to cost you $80ish (you might save a few cents by shooting steel case stuff - but....).  Shooting a lot is important to a new shooter becoming competent - and an experienced shooter becoming "good."  If you can plink for hours on $20 and not get smoked doing it... you (and she) will want to shoot more...

For clarity - I'm not suggesting that the 22 be a carry gun... and if you can only get one - you've probably gone down the right road - but I'm a big proponent of everyone having .22s in their safe - for both the reasons above. 

My 2 cents... 

I bought a $220 22 LR GSG 1911 look a like just so I always get practice with a pistol the same size and general heft as my treasured 1911 45 ACP’s. Added an aftermarket stainless operating rod and bushing upgrade for  an extra $75 that tightened up the groups a lot. Ensures I always can afford the practice I always need.