• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

First build and problems.

D458501

First off I’d like to state how much I wish I found this community before I bought my first part…y’all are awesome. 

The build. 
Aero m5 enhanced upper/lower. 
20” Wilson super sniper barrel rifle length gas. 
Slr sentry adjustable gas block.
Aero rifle length gas tube.
Aero m5 rifle buffer kit. 

Wilson bcg.

shot the gun for the first time yesterday and it would not cycle. It would either stove pipe or put a spent case back into battery. Gas block wide open. Found y’all last night and read as much as I could before passing out then tore the gun down this morning. Hear is what I’ve got so far. 

gas tube is short of armalite spec.

gas port .083 

journal .875

buffer oal 5.287

buffer spring 12 5/16

buffer tube internal depth 9 11/16

buffer weight 5.4oz

gas block alignment looks ok. 

Seems like this is a candidate for drilling the gas port but I don’t know what I don’t know. I appreciate it tons. Pics below. 

37EABE3F-ACCF-4064-B7BD-A30AA16383DB.jpeg

6B8E4E08-FACB-4970-9308-2A2E1318C672.jpeg

C346E8BD-5FFA-44B1-AA67-DC496985D73C.jpeg

4D2108E3-4549-4116-A655-B80D1FAB67BA.jpeg

C389A28B-3FC5-462D-AFA4-14BE82E5FAEE.jpeg

2C04D450-F1DD-4D04-A8E8-525E93631E75.jpeg

B0B842FA-5FEC-43F9-BD93-32F2A4BC015C.jpeg

2C782AF0-D3AC-4978-826C-BAF08A404E9E.jpeg

On 1/9/2023 at 6:07 AM, D458501 said:

Roger that. Drill bit is on the way and I will try to source a proper gas tube locally today. Hope to report back this weekend. Appreciate it. 

Gas tube OAL needs to be 15.5".  Shorter 15 1/4" gas tubes will give you the exact same thing that you have now - those are all AR15 rifle gas tubes.  Very few companies make the 15.5" gas, but Armalite does, and it's got the AR-10 bend to it, to accomodate the height-over-bore difference over AR15 stuff.

Locally, if you can't find an actual Armalite AR-10 Rifle Gas Tube, then you'll probably strike out - locally.  Don't let any "gunsmith" in some shop tell you any different. If he tries to tell you something shorter than 15.5" will be okay - he doesn't even know the difference.  Probably doesn't even know that there's a height-over-bore difference. 

1 hour ago, D458501 said:

It was a strike out indeed. I have one on order from Wilson Combat that is stated to be 15.5” for the ar-10. Even paid extra for shipping…. I’m really trying to shoot this damn thing this weekend! 

I've ordered those tubes from them, when Armalite was out of stock - they're legit.  They make the specs necessary.  :thumbup:

It’s so close!!!!! Gun will cycle with good ammo but still not getting bolt lock on an empty mag. Ran pretty rough when fed white box ammo. Lots of failure to feeds. Gas block open all the way. Seems like it’s time to go a bit bigger with the gas port. Would .095 be a logical step? 

What Rex said...  ^^^   Soak that BCG first, run the gun again for about 50 more rounds - unless it's just unbearable, and obviously wrong.  Give that a shot.

On 1/11/2023 at 8:07 PM, D458501 said:

98, I read in another thread that you have a mechanical background… you may appreciate what I picked up recently. 

NICE!!!   Yeah, it's a sickness just like firearms.  I have just as much in tools, maybe more, than I have in firearms.  It never stops.  If someone makes a tool that makes my life and my job easier, it doesn't matter what the price tag is on it.  Especially if it's coming off the tool truck, and I can just give the guy $25 or $50 a week for it.  Special tools help proficiency, speed, and decrease headaches and thrown wrenches...   :laffs:

One other thing I can add here - that recoil spring might be an issue.  Just because it's an unknown in the equation.  Definite correct springs from known manufacturers that will work correctly, will be the Armalie EA-1095 spring, and the Sprinco Red spring.  Those are the known springs that work in your recoil system config that you have.  :thumbup:

Rodger that. I soaked the bcg in engine oil but maybe for only an hour. I can for sure pull it and give it another dunk. I would say it doesn’t “feel” wrong at this point. It did before for sure. I thought to myself the first time I shot it that if this was going to be how it was then I don’t want it haha. I will send more rounds through it. The spring has been in the back of my mind as well, I found a spec in one of the stickies and it falls short of that by about an inch. Could that cause failure to lock open and failure to feed problems? Seems like it would be one or the other but that’s from my less than elementary understanding of these things. Thanks a ton guys. 

1 hour ago, D458501 said:

I found a spec in one of the stickies and it falls short of that by about an inch. Could that cause failure to lock open and failure to feed problems?

Certainly - if it's too weak, and not up to the task of running "the ass and the mass" of a .308AR, it could have the BCG running too fast.  AR15 springs can't handle these things - not enough power in the spring to deal with it. 

If the BCG is running too fast, the bolt catch can't catch it, it over-runs the next round in the mag, because the mag spring can't get the round up there fast enough...  Excessive speed in the BCG can cause alot of functional problems.  They're not always easy to figure out.  For that very reason, we always specify the same recoil system specs - rule all that recoil system shiit out, and then we're just figuring out the gas system.