• Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

H&K USA is releasing the gas-piston, MR556A1 upper assembly to the market.

H&K USA is releasing the gas-piston, MR556A1 upper assembly to the market.  Ever since a limited number of HK416 upper receivers showed up for sale on internet websites several years ago, fans have hoped that they would make the MR556A1 upper available for general sale and its finally happened.

The upper receiver kit will include a barreled flat top upper, Free Floating Rail System handguard, bolt carrier assembly, buffer, and buffer spring.  The bolt carrier assembly, buffer, and buffer spring are all different than standard US Mil Spec items.

Fortunately, the MR556A1 features the same take down pin geometry as US Mil Spec Carbines so you will be able to plug it right in.  Some variants of the civilian model do not share this feature.

Since it’s an upper, you can purchase the assembly as a part to attach to your existing gun so you won’t need ATF approval.  However, make sure you are sitting down when you read this next part.  The MSRP is reportedly $2195. 

Not even anything "revolutionary" about it, or cutting edge - it's another piston gun from a big name.  Huge name.  Definitely not worth almost $2.2k for an upper, unless they're sending me my own H&K Reloading Midget, straight from the factory, with the upper.  <dontknow>

That's funny 98...have some kool-aid and buy an upper.

IMO, H&K is far too over priced for the product a person receives, since they got high and mighty in the mid-80s.

Inthe early '80s a person could get an HK91 or 93, in a kit with mags, sling, bipod, fixed AND telescoping stock, NIB for a street price of $600 or so.

Jon

Exactly.  In 1986 or 1987, I was shooting at the Fort Ord Rod and Gun Club.  Prices for the HK 93 at the time were $600-ish, and you didn't pay tax there.  Well, I was an Army Private, and that was almost a whole monthly paycheck.  Didn't do it.  I got back to Fort Ord in 1989, and the price had jumped to $1200-ish.  I left Fort in 1991, and the price by then was over $1800.  :o

Shoulda bought the damn thing with that monthly paycheck, not driven the car for a month, and eaten every meal in the mess hall.  Stupid for not buying it then...  :-[

Over priced, for sure, but they were the first large company to bring out the gas piston after Armalite dropped the 180 from their roster.  Smaller companies were making them and getting no press and hardly any sales, but it was HK that brought the gas piston for the AR to the forefront again.  And when they did, everyone was saying, "Har, har, har, there is nothing the gas piston brings to the table.  DI is much better and only an idiot would go gas piston."  Within a couple of years everyone and their grandmother was bringing out their version of a gas piston upper for the AR platform.  So, the HK is anything but "another piston gun from a big name,"  they were the first major AR piston player in modern times so give the devil his due, overpriced or not.

H&K Reloading Midget

Since it's from Germany, wouldn't that make it a Gnome?

The thing that puzzles me about the MR556 is HK's decision to not line or treat the bore.

From H-K's website:

...But unlike the HK416, the MR556A1 does not use a chrome-lined barrel. Chrome-lining can sometimes mask bore imperfections and negatively affect accuracy. For the new series of Heckler & Koch semi-automatic MR rifles, HK designers and engineers believe best accuracy comes with an unlined bore.

So, the HK is anything but "another piston gun from a big name,"  they were the first major AR piston player in modern times so give the devil his due, overpriced or not.

True, however, there are enough quality piston setups out there now, and H&K isn't the only game in town anymore.  That was more of what my intent was with my statement - not really bagging on H&K for the technology, but the price, when you can have something similar, possibly a direct equivalent, at a fraction of that cost.