• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

In lb driver/wrench?

Rustyguns

I have a Vortex torque screwdriver that works well. I have had a few years. Just looked on Amazon and they are currently selling for $89, which seems mighty steep and a lot more than I recall paying. If I were buying one right now, I'd probably go with the Wheeler.  Amazon is selling it for $49.  Harbor Freight sells one under their Quinn line of tools for $79 (before any coupons), that also looks pretty decent.  All are probably made in China.  Wheeler bits are made out of better tool steel (S-2) than some.  As I think about it, I think the Vortex allowed for smaller increments of adjustment than others at the time. It allows for 1# increments.

Edited by MtnMike
typo

2 hours ago, MtnMike said:

Harbor Freight

Torque Wrenches and life jackets are two of the many items I wouldn't buy at HF!

When torqueing small parts consider that adding any liquid thread locker throws the numbers out the window, lubrication properties can easy cause it to stretch/ strip small screws. I reduce the numbers 25-50% and then re-torque next day with stuff like locktight blue. Haven't seen issues when screws come pre-coated with that red or brown stuff. 

@DNP  - I think you are like me, when it comes to prices.  I kind of remember what I paid for something in the '80s, and think that is still the price, that $15 Wheeler FAT torque wrench is $79 directly from Wheeler https://www.wheelertools.com/gunsmithing-tools/wrenches-and-screwdrivers/f.a.t.-wrench-with-10-bit-set/553556.html  and $49 at Amazon https://www.amazon.com/Wheeler-Accurizing-Measurement-Gunsmithing-Maintenance/dp/B0012AXR4S/ref=sr_1_3?crid=3VBSI5K8XOMFX&keywords=wheeler+torque+screwdriver&qid=1679062630&sprefix=wheeler+torque%2Caps%2C183&sr=8-3

@Albroswift I hear you on being dubious about some of the tools at Harbor Freight.  I've gotten some sockets from their Pittsburgh line that are way out of spec and strip pretty easy.  I have had pretty good luck with their Quinn and Icon "premium" lines of tools.  And the Quinn does include a certificate of calibration. 2 good things I will say about Harbor Freight. (1) If I need a tool today, and don't want to wait 2 or more days for shipping, their website will tell you if it's in-stock at your local store(s). (2) If it breaks, they replace it free of charge no questions asked.

... now I feel inadequate because I've never lapped my scope rings - lol.  Not really, I never shoot over 200 yards, and rarely over 100. 1MOA or less at those distances with all of my center-fire rifles. (ok maybe not the old lever action Marlin 30/30 - but that's open sights)

Both of my AR308s have Leupold integrated Mark AR30mm mounts that I use with Leupold scopes.  I would think that an integrated mount might be a bit more precise in this regard than a two-piece mount.  But I never checked them with an alignment bar (which I don't have).  Leupold makes good stuff in my experience. 

I would be real interested to see how the rings on my new muzzle-loader line up.  That mount (a CVA Durasight, and a replacement after sending the first one back both) came with 100% incorrect screw hardware.  Had to locate and get entirely different screws to screw the tops of the rings to mount bottom, and then to screw the mount to the barrel of the gun for which the mount was supposedly specifically made. So, I definitely know their quality control was dubious.  That may be just the excuse I need to justify buying a scope mount lapping kit.  Can always count on this forum for a good excuse to spend more $$$ 🤪

4 hours ago, unforgiven said:

My LarRue scope mounts were perfect and needed no lapping.

Mostly for rings for me. One piece is usually just fine as they get machined or cast as one aligned unit. I find the quick lapping and alignment bar to make rings work out quite well. Probably not necessary, but I can’t complain about how any have turned out. 

21 hours ago, Rustyguns said:

Just built my first ar308 and placed a Vortex Viper on it. The Steiner mounts I bought call for 18” in lbs for scope clamps and 30” for rail mounts. I don’t have anything that goes that low. What are y’all using to torque your scopes with?  Thank you for any help!

$$$.   I'm a tool whore.  For work (very, VERY rarely used), I have a Snap-On in/lb torque driver.  I needed it for some bullshiit Yamaha specs for installing a poly windshield, and you had to put the screws through the windshield and into the clamps at 3 in/lb - or you'll crack the windshield.  Customer bought it, now you -the dealership - get to buy it again for the customer, if you crack that fucker on install.

I have this thing, but just because it's already in my toolbox.  It doesn't even stay at work anymore, stays at home, with my gun tools.  I'll take it to work, if I need it there, but that's not often.  I use it more at home, mounting optics.

Torque Screwdrivers

If I didn't need that thing for work - back when I needed it for work - I wouldn't have bought it.  Too much loot.  I'd buy the Wheeler Fat Wrench now.  That's where to go, without dropping ridiculous coin. 

https://www.wheelertools.com/gunsmithing-tools/wrenches-and-screwdrivers/f.a.t.-wrench-with-10-bit-set/553556.html

I lap with 2 piece setups on hunting rifles, If I shot long distance competition I sure would also. The cantilevered AR mounts not too worried about. I have a 1/4" (thinking tecton?) torque wrench but if I ever got a new one I would get the Snap On or at least that style. The wrench style has a lot of rotating mass in the handle have to be careful with. 

29576894_2018-09-0418_03_38.thumb.jpg.b541782499e71bcaf3b84f182dd7bdb0.jpg

Lap0.thumb.jpg.69f077e0ca2459289014e6a651e8707c.jpg