• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Rhino Arms lower

ultraviolet70

Hi I'm new to the forum and really need some help.

I recently decided to build a Black Gun in .308/7.62 I have built a few AR-15 platforms and didn't think this would be that much different, wow was I wrong. I was thinking that most manufactures uppers and lowers would be compatable like the AR-15 so when I found a .308/7.62 lower assembly at a local Dealer for a good $ I bought it on whim thinking no big deal just order an upper and put it together.

Well it's a Rhino Arms  model RA-5D 7.62 and I can find almost no info except for a link to their site that is really no help

http://rhinoarms.com/

So if anyone has any info or suggestions PLEASE HELP

From the curve at the back by the buffer I can tell an Armalite upper will not work it looks similar in shape to a DPMS and/or RRA but I know they are different in lenght and all I have to go from is pics online if anyone has any ideas or any measurements I could take or any more pics that would help please tell me.

Sorry for my first post being such an ordeal, but I have no idea where else to ask.

IMG_1385.jpg

IMG_1383.jpg

IMG_1382.jpg

IMG_1380.jpg

The curve at the back looks just like my DPMS lower. The spacing on my front and rear takedown pins (center to center) is right at 6 & 7/8 inches and the length from the flat just above the rear curve to the forwardmost edge of the receiver (the front of the forward takedown pin boss) is 8 & 7/16 inches. Hope this info is of some help.

Thanks for the greetings guys looks like I found a good group to join in with.

Got an e-mail from DPMS looks like their upper will not work.

The response was "if I had .250" take down pins their upper would work".

Well

Just got home and measured and the take down pins are approx .280" in diameter.

Looks like this lower may be going back.

I'm now getting mixed input.

I received an e-mail from Rhino Arms saying the DPMS upper will work.

The store where I bought the lower says they have built rifles using the Rhino lower and DPMS upper.

I found extended takedown pins for the DPMS and measeured them and they were 9/32 like the pins in the Rhino lower.

But in two e-mails from DPMS now they have stated the pins are 1/4" and not 9/32, I'm wondering if the customer service rep I'm getting is confusing the measurment with the AR15 platform pins which I know are 1/4".

So I'm hoping someone out there has a DPMS LR308 and a micrometer or caliper and could measure the diameter of one of their takedown pins and end this confusion for me.

Thanks again to everyone this forum has already been so helpful.

Unforgiven where in the midwest are from I'm in MO

Actually just got off the phone with the owner of Rhino Arms (very nice and helpful guy, actually called me). Informed me the DPMS upper will definitely work and as I assumed the rep I was corresponding with was an idiot and was mixing up the measurements 1/4" fro the 5.56/.223 for the 9/32" for the .308 pins.

He also told me he was surprised I found a lower separate as this an older style and they no longer sell their lowers separate from the uppers.

He said I could purchase an upper and it would work and fit but would not look right since the have redesigned the receivers and my best bet was still the DPMS as it wil fit and look the best. It's nice to find a honest company as opposed to one just wanting to sell your their product.

So this means zero doubt I'll be going with a DPMS upper.

If you're going to build the upper, consider Fulton Armory for the stripped upper receiver (disregard if you're buying one complete).

DPMS changed the rail height on their flat-top uppers.  The original height was used by companies when free-float rails started coming out for these (the DPMS varients), and you have more options for free-floats with it. 

Fulton Armory stripped uppers are at that original height.

There are many companies that make free-floats in both heights now, but some companies that still don't - and only make the original height-match.  Just more options for you if you get your stripped upper receiver from FA.  <thumbsup>

I only know of ONE company that makes a free-float ONLY for the new-height uppers, and that's DPMS themselves. 

Thanks for the info.

I am going with a complete upper though. I am going to be using for target shooting as well as hunting so I did not want to go trouncing through the woods with a 24" barrel, would have prefered 20" but DPMS only offers their upper with an 18" barrel and figured that would still make for a rifle that can shoot better than me.

I'd planned on ordering directly from DPMS this weekend, but I found one on GB that was actually more than I'd planned on getting from DPMS for a couple hundred less than they were going to charge me.

I'm guessing the rail height will not be an issue as I am installing a scope only and no iron sights (upper I purchased has a smooth gas block anyway).

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=271041742

Have also purchased a few items to mod out the lower and finish the rifle how I want.

I am left handed so Norgon ambi mag release and ambi safety

A2 buffer tube, spring, and buffer to go with ARFX skeleton stock

Oversized takedown pins

Timney trigger for 308 single stage 4lb

Mags (2) 20rd P-mags and (1) DPMS 10 round

Harris Bi-pod

TacOps charging handle

Luepold scope mount/riser, for the time being I have a 50mm Bushnell scope that has been sitting in the safe that I'll use (picked it up a couple years ago for a $ I couldn't pass up and haven't had anything to put it on)

I think I've got everything but ammo (and of course the upper but it's paid for now and will be on it's way soon).

I'll update with pics as I start to put it together, maybe throw a couple pics of my other black guns out there if anyone is interested (have .223/5.56, 6.8spc and a M&P 15-22).

Thanks again to everyone, this forum has been very helpful and informative.

If you're going to build the upper, consider Fulton Armory for the stripped upper receiver (disregard if you're buying one complete).

DPMS changed the rail height on their flat-top uppers.  The original height was used by companies when free-float rails started coming out for these (the DPMS varients), and you have more options for free-floats with it. 

Fulton Armory stripped uppers are at that original height.

There are many companies that make free-floats in both heights now, but some companies that still don't - and only make the original height-match.  Just more options for you if you get your stripped upper receiver from FA.  <thumbsup>

I only know of ONE company that makes a free-float ONLY for the new-height uppers, and that's DPMS themselves.

I am left handed so Norgon ambi mag release and ambi safety

The Norgon ambi mag release is a really great piece of gear - I only run it on one rifle (Spikes billet 5.56 gun), but it is nice.  For the Ambi safety, I only have ony recommendation, but there's really nothing out there that can even come close to this - The Battle Arms Development Ambi Safety Selector - the BADASS.  Honestly, don't even look at anything else.  No joke. 

A2 buffer tube, spring, and buffer to go with ARFX skeleton stock

Make sure that spring and buffer are .308 specific - the 5.56 counterparts will NOT work in a .308 semi.

I have the Norgon ambi in one rifle and really like it, but Troy actually makes a release now that is only 2/3 the price

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=45108/Product/AR-15-M16-AMBIDEXTROUS-MAGAZINE-RELEASE

I have the Troy in two rifles and it is actually easier to use than the Norgon (not that I don't like the Norgon) but the Troy would not have worked in the Rhino lower due to ribs on the lower.

IMG_1385.jpg

As far as the safety I have DPMS ambi safeties in all my rifles and for the price have been pleased with them. I would definetly like to run the BADASS, but I can't justify twice the price. Plus already had an extra DPMS ambi safety left from a build that didn't happen.

Buffer tube, spring, buffer and stock were bought as a package from Midway

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/993474/dpms-buttstock-assembly-dpms-lr-308-a2-sythetic-black

And they had the ACE on sale

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/760499/ace-skeleton-buttstock-99-overall-length-ar-15-aluminum-black

This way I can play around and swap stocks out till I find what I really like between the Skeleton, solid or could even reinstall the other buffer tube assembly and try out the many collapsible stocks I've accumulated.

I may still breakdown and pick up a BADASS safety to try out. My only fear is if I like it as much as you say I'll be out another $240 changing all my DPMS ambi safeties for the BADASS ;D

Oh yeah forgot to mention Hogue grip to replace the horrible generic one.

The Norgon ambi mag release is a really great piece of gear - I only run it on one rifle (Spikes billet 5.56 gun), but it is nice.  For the Ambi safety, I only have ony recommendation, but there's really nothing out there that can even come close to this - The Battle Arms Development Ambi Safety Selector - the BADASS.  Honestly, don't even look at anything else.  No joke. 

Make sure that spring and buffer are .308 specific - the 5.56 counterparts will NOT work in a .308 semi.

I may still breakdown and pick up a BADASS safety to try out. My only fear is if I like it as much as you say I'll be out another $240 changing all my DPMS ambi safeties for the BADASS ;D

That WILL happen if you "try one."  Just warning you now...  <thumbsup> <lmao>