• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

What's in a number?

kopcicle

0.009283 , the difference between .277 (see Jack O'Conner) and 0.267717" (or 6.8mm).
It's why I'm here.
1, Once is all it takes to prove to me you are a waste of time. Nothing personal, I don't have a lot of time left.
2, Number of cups of coffee consumed before I resemble a human being with any appreciation for, or tolerance of, human stupidity in the morning.
Also 2, Number of Scotches it takes for me to speak my mind on topics best left as a political position best left unsaid or unwritten.
.270. Winchester, when it isn't Ackley Improved.
.277-08. There just had to be something between .264 and .284 that was as easily forgotten as Canasta.
3, One is none, two is some, three is better.
4. Place holder. I'll find something associated with the number four that pisses me off eventually.
.308, What was once a purposeful load out is now a form of shelter in place, with extreme prejudice.
.311-.315 (cast boolit), British. Actually called a 303 for some reason. They seem to find me.
45, as in ACP. Because I'm old, experienced, well trained, and own several.
.451" which is the lead ball size I feed my 44Cal 1851 percussion replica. So it isn't just the British.
50.61 because, NRC Regulations Title 10, Fracture toughness requirements for protection against pressurized thermal shock events.
Also 50.61, medium contour barrel, 1/9 twist, Fusil Automatique Léger. If I have to explain, I will.
6.8mm , see above.
66, my age.
7x57, 275 Rigby (those British again) 7mm-08.
8x57. It used to be cheep to feed large ring Mausers.
9, as in mm. Because yes, as a matter of fact I do own several, including a belted magnum.
10, The socket I can never find.

So, what's in a number?

I love numbers.

0.0012214.  Gas port volume on the 20" .260 Rem gun with a rifle gas system, 0.750" journal diameter, and almost=proper recoil system (buffer lighter than 5.4oz, coming in at 5.15oz).

0.0015644. Gas port volume on the 18.5" .308 Win gun with a rifle gas system, 0.936" journal diameter, and proper recoil system.

0.0010569. Gas port volume on the 18" 7mm-08 gun with rifle gas system, 0.750" journal diameter, proper recoil system - and it doesn't work. 

0.0014822. Gas port volume on the 18" 7mm-08 gun with rifle gas system, 0.750" journal diameter, proper recoil system - and it works like a CHAMP!

There's a pattern here.  Numbers are great.  Use math when it's to your advantage.