• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Vortex Scope or Trijicon?

i'm ditching my 9-36x scope and sticking with a 24x max power so im looking for you people's input

Is vortex Scope any good?

There's Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 for $750 and Vortex Viper PST FFP 6-24x50 for $950. How special/important is the "FFP".

The other Scope i'm eyeing on now is the Trijicon Accupoint 5-20x50 TR23 for $1000. I was reading mixed reviews about this. People say Trijicon is only worth buying for their ACOG.

I was told that Vortex is the best bang for buck with respectable build quality.

never heard anything but good about Vortex and the no questions asked warranty is a huge selling point. i went with a weaver tactical.(super slam on steroids) really nice Japanese glass, dual color ilum, FFP, matching mil ret/mil turrets, and with the rebate it only cost me 630 out the door from midwayUSA. i plan on doing a review of it soon as i get some time to sit and write.

another option might be the SWFA SS line. they seem to run with the big boys at half the price. i would love one but they were way out of my range for the 5-20x

FFP is only important if you plan on using your reticle for ranging. Unless you are taking precise long distance shots really fast at various distances it is essentially worthless imo. Arguably a person could claim it helps with holdovers, however you will be calculating holdovers using DOPE therefore you can learn them at each magnification setting anyways.

Any situation you would find yourself in requiring having a constant reticle can be accomplished using a rangefinder and/or a spotting scope.

Just my two cents, but I would save the cash on the FFP and use it on getting a better scope or a rangefinder.

the viper series is made in the Philippines. not sure about the Razor line but i think thats a bit out of the price range you are looking in.

FFP is pretty useless unless you are shooting competition or killing people on foreign shores...but its fun to practice ranging with it.  the weaver has it for less than the price of other scopes without it so i gave it a shot. i bring the glass/mount to work on slow days and range stuff out the window lol.

well i must be the unluckiest guy in here. i was ready to buy the vortex 6-24x50 and guess what.... they seem to be out of stock everywhere.... opticsplanet has 30-60day lead time. Out of stock from my local sources Rainier, cabelas, adventuresports. Anyone have any other online source that has it instock and trust worthy??!?

EDIT:

actually, eff the 6-24x50. I'll just get the vortex 4-16x50 PST since it's in stock. I don't think i'll be doing any shooting beyond 400yards

when i was doing scope research i found people saying the 6-24 glass looked much nicer than the 4-16 glass. it could be a case of one persons opinion vomited all over the internet by people who have never/will never actually look through either scope, but maybe worth mentioning. i was going to get the 4-16 either way as its a more usable range for me.

Picked up a used 6-24 PST couple days ago...looks like a nice piece,lot of little features,  the glass is beautiful ..put it right there with Leupold Mark 4  ..anxious to get it mounted up and to the range...it came with a Vortex quick release mount(made by American Defense)..anyone have experience with these mounts?? Are they comparable to a GG&G or Larue??? Just seems like a big scope to use a QR on...

it came with a Vortex quick release mount(made by American Defense)..anyone have experience with these mounts?? Are they comparable to a GG&G or Larue??? Just seems like a big scope to use a QR on...

Excellent mount.  Very comparable to a GG&G and LaRue.  I'd call them part of "the Top 4," if there was such a thing.  Bobro, LaRue, American Defense, and GG&G.  <thumbsup>

never heard anything but good about Vortex and the no questions asked warranty is a huge selling point. i went with a weaver tactical.(super slam on steroids) really nice Japanese glass, dual color ilum, FFP, matching mil ret/mil turrets, and with the rebate it only cost me 630 out the door from midwayUSA. i plan on doing a review of it soon as i get some time to sit and write.

another option might be the SWFA SS line. they seem to run with the big boys at half the price. i would love one but they were way out of my range for the 5-20x

I'm looking at the same scope, did you get the 3x15x50? I'm also looking at the Vortex line

• 1 month later...

You won't be sorry with pst viper line at all.  The glass is very good, sturdy, waterproof, positive clicks, great warranty and the people that have them usually buy more than one.  On snipershide, the reviews are outstanding.  The viper line is put together in the phillipines but the glass is Japanese.  I believe the pst and razor lines are put together in Japan but could be wrong there.  I have several pst's and and regular viper series scope and I couldn't be happier.

Another great option is the SWFA SS line.  These are excellent scopes for the money.  I believe these just won a sf contract and again, great no questions warranty.  I have one on a dpms 308 and I like it.  Again, great reviews on the hide.

For the price, you cannot beat either of these