• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

reporting from Oklahoma

Rhino55

Howdy Folks

I'm called Rhino55 from a little town in central Oklahoma. I use to shoot the Navy rifle team and still shoot competive.  I also build rifles as a hobbie.  Got to love a man with his own lathe.  I shoot what I build and have donated several rifles to needy causes.  I'm starting to build a few AR-10 rifles (I noramlly build M-1As & AR-15s) so this a new adventure. I might not be the sharpest knife in the drawer so not beat me up to bad.

Welcome,

If you've been building bolt guns and M1A's, building the AR's not going to give you any surprises. With your skill and lathe, you're in a position to make a truly custom barrel. the only thing your going to have to deal with that you may not have encountered before will be the installation of your barrel extension. I have not yet built a bolt gun but hope to try building one soon. I'm presently in the middle of my first M1A build, (waiting for my chamber reamer to arrive) so I may have some stupid questions for you. Hopefully you'll take it easy on me.

Welcome,

If you've been building bolt guns and M1A's, building the AR's not going to give you any surprises. With your skill and lathe, you're in a position to make a truly custom barrel. the only thing your going to have to deal with that you may not have encountered before will be the installation of your barrel extension. I have not yet built a bolt gun but hope to try building one soon. I'm presently in the middle of my first M1A build, (waiting for my chamber reamer to arrive) so I may have some stupid questions for you. Hopefully you'll take it easy on me.

When building a M-1A or M-1 Garand.  A pull through reamer is your best friend!  When the bolt goes over center into the cruve. STOP!!!  Your chambered.