• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Barrel twist and linning

Blazer11

The two most common twists are 1:10 and 1:12.

The 1:12 likes the lightweight bullets. You can shoot heavier, but they won't stabilize well and you'll lose a bit of accuracy. I'd make 160 gr bullets my ceiling and try to shop more in the 150 gr area.

1:10 is prime for the big heavy bullets. You can shoot lighter and they'll still be accurate, but you'll wear down your barrel life faster. Too much pressure and heat from the lightweight bullets. 160+ grains will be fine.

A local sniper team was shooting their Rem 700 with 1:12 twists. They ditched the common 168gr for a better flying 155gr.

If you buy custom. They can make a 1:11 twist. I don't know too much about this twist. If you went this route I would suggest staying away from the extreme heavy and extreme light bullets.

Chrome and Melonite barrels are corrosion resistant and their low friction surface enables longer barrel life.

Lined barrels aren't particularly known for super accuracy. That doesn't mean they're inaccurate.

If you were just plinking, there are plenty of affordable lined barrels. If you were going into a battle and your life depended on performance, there are several high end lined barrels to choose from. If you wanted to make 1/2" jagged holes at 100 yards, or you needed to make sure every shot landed EXACTLY where you wanted it, then a custom stainless steel barrel is your choice.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Got this off of "RifleGear"...seems to answer the question of lining or not....just thought I'd jump in...  :)    CSM-H

The unique Melonite treatment applied to the barrel surface-hardens the metal, extending barrel service life by reducing friction in the bore and lessening bore surface wear. Also referred to as Nitriding, this treatment produces an extremely hard, slick surface on steel that resists carbon adhesion and increases corrosion resistance, making for easier cleaning and maintenance. Nitriding converts the steel's surface without any build-up, retaining all of the benefits of traditional chrome lining without suffering the accuracy degradation commonly encountered due to uneven application of chrome inside the barrel's bore.