• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Taper pins...

Robocop1051

I hate them! I more than hate them. I loathe them.

I've never had two taper pins alike. Some slide out easily (although that's rare for me), some damage my punches because they are so hard, some mushroom flat because they are so soft... I once took apart a Stag AR for a buddy. The taper pins were so tight that I damaged my punch, even the BFH failed me. Eventually had to use my rotary tool. I cut the FSGB to pieces to pull that damned thing off.

I have the Brownells cheater blocks. I have the old metal version and the new orange plastic version. I also have all the neccessary punches... Yet I still run into issues. 

What methods do you guys use to take out taper pins?

My trick with taper pins - use a punch with a face that looks like it's about 5 times too big - just to get the pins started on their way out.  Hit those things like they just stole something from you.  After you get them started, use the correct sized punch to get them the rest of the way out.  One or two whacks with a BFH and a too-big punch gets them going well, then the rest is easy.

Club 'em like a baby seal...  <thumbsup>

Do those Brownells front sight bench blocks work well?

To some extent, yes. With the really difficult ones you need something with less give in it. I also have a metal block I use, but I have to cover it so keep from scratching my guns.

My trick with taper pins - use a punch with a face that looks like it's about 5 times too big - just to get the pins started on their way out.  Hit those things like they just stole something from you.  After you get them started, use the correct sized punch to get them the rest of the way out.  One or two whacks with a BFH and a too-big punch gets them going well, then the rest is easy.

I tried that last night and only mushroomed the tops. After they were flat I used a center punch to get them started. Once the whole was visible I went in with the proper size punch. two taper pins destroyed in the process, and one seriously marred FSGB.

Saw where instead of removeing FS assy. they cut it down to make a low profile gas block out of it,thought it was slick then you didn't have to fight the pins. <dontknow>

lol. i butchered the FS underneath my carbon tube. just meant it to be for fitting purposes, but its covered and works so why take it off?