• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

FNG with an AR

Hi guys, this is great, having an community for the .308. This is my first gun purchase, and i'm glad there's a place to ask questions.

I decided on this rifle because a friend and i went out together to each get something. He went with an AR-15 Sig m400 .223, I wanted a little bigger and went with the .308.

I got a DPMS Panther .308 LR, It's got a 16" barrel. Flat-top.

Being new to ARs, i wanted to know if there's anything that could or should be Upgraded/replaced. I understand the factory trigger is 7lbs? That seems heavy?

I'd like to hear anyone's recommendations on parts or whatever

Thanks   

post-1810-136297273624_thumb.jpg

I'm new with ARs so take this with a grain of salt, Trigger,muzzle brake, scope mount> I like to keep my scopes as close to the center of the bore as possible, yours looks higher than necessary imo, welcome to the site,stright jackets arn't included ;D

Go to Brownell's and buy a CAA grip and a BAD-A.S.S. 

Go to a local sporting goods store that sells a lot of guns & accessories and buy a Limbsaver (shotgun) butt pad that (nearly) matches the butt of your new rifle. 

Install them. 

Find and buy a set of iron back-up sights (if your rifle does not already have them)(mine are Chinese,  I really never intend to use them but have them in case). 

Find a nice scope on sale from MidwayUSA.  Or,  you can spend 3x or 4x the money for something else,  your choice.  My AR scope is a Nikon (from MidwayUSA) with mil-dot reticle. 

Read the section on triggers in this forum.  My trigger is the RRA as noted in "Triggers."  Keep in mind that some triggers will void your warranty and some will not. 

I keep my OEM parts in special storage and suggest doing the same.  Ah-h-h.  .  .  Zip-Loks with a label inside with the part(s) to identify what it is and the original gun by description and serial number,  in the back of a dresser drawer or the bottom of the gun safe?

Make a file:  description of the gun (all your guns) with serial numbers.  All documents relating to the gun(s) (& parts & accessories).  I have 4-drawer file cabinets and my gun files are there.  Small file boxes can be purchased.  Two 2-drawer file cabinets can be used with a custom desktop to make a great computer desk/gun work shop.  Give a family member in another place a second copy of each gun description sheet to keep for you.

You did ask what to buy for your new rifle.  This is my quick list.  All good stuff!

I wouldn't go so far as to change too much. I like your rifle as it is! <thumbsup>

The Battle Arms Development Ambi Selector Switch is a VERY nice addition.

I am known to be a HUGE fan of the Battlecomp BABC... I also really like the PWS FSC30.

A trigger can be a big BIG improvement on performance. It really should be everyone's first upgrade.

As for grips and hand guards. I like Magpul stuff. I do suggest the enhanced stock pad for your MOE stock. While the MOE is good, you may enjoy a slightly upgraded stock as well. The CTR and ACS (and their variants) are really nice inexpensive stocks, and they come in the color to match your rifle. (That new Wilson Rogers "Super-Stoc" is sexy too!)

As BLKSHEEP pointed out, you may want to re-examine your scope mount. Although, if it's comfortable to you that's all that matters.

An extended charging handle makes things a tad bit easier when playing at the range... We all have our opinions on which we like. I don't think you can go wrong with any of them. Even if you only went so far as to put a Badger arm on your existing handle.

Go to a local sporting goods store that sells a lot of guns & accessories and buy a Limbsaver (shotgun) butt pad that (nearly) matches the butt of your new rifle. 

you have a magpul stock and they make their own thicker butt pad, i have them on both my rifles, worth it and recommended if you decide to do it

http://store.magpul.com/product/MAG317/172

I've got all the magpul MOE rails, grip, etc. Unfortunately I had gotten the cheek riser and it won't let the charging handle come back all the way. But ill hack off a small piece.

I thought that riser was too big. A box store guy got me to get it ,scamed.

So is there a standard for the height of a scope per scope size? Or is it just a personal preference, would it matter if I were to just put the scope right to the rifle and eliminate the riser?

Thanks again guys, really appreciate the help

something that will work for a riser that reciprocates

http://www.laruetactical.com/larue-tactical-risr-reciprocating-inline-stock-riser

i am not sure of the proper way to determine mount height on scope rings or mount, but i use this on my obr

http://www.laruetactical.com/larue-tactical-spr-m4-scope-mount-qd-lt-104

So is there a standard for the height of a scope per scope size? Or is it just a personal preference, would it matter if I were to just put the scope right to the rifle and eliminate the riser?

For under 300 yards, scope height is all personal preference. I prefer mine close to the receiver, like a red dot. Just understand that you can't shoulder your rifle like a bolt rifle anymore. You'll have to modify your stance a bit. If you plan on shooting beyond 300 yards you should have a scope mount designed for that kind of shooting.

something that will work for a riser that reciprocates

http://www.laruetactical.com/larue-tactical-risr-reciprocating-inline-stock-riser

i am not sure of the proper way to determine mount height on scope rings or mount, but i use this on my obr

http://www.laruetactical.com/larue-tactical-spr-m4-scope-mount-qd-lt-104

edge is right on the money with his suggestions! Watch out though, edgecrusher also has expensive taste. He'll drag you into the poor house if you aren't watching. :P