• Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Possible group buy on 308 match barrels !

MikedaddyH

Ok Guys,

I was talking with my gunsmith today and he inquired if anyone on our forum would be interested in buying match barrels. I suggested we do a group buy. The barrels are 22 inches in length and 1.25 " dia. They are 1:10 twist and are made out of 41V50 Vanadium Steel. He can cut them to 14.5 , 16 , 18, 20 or 22 inches and threaded 5/8 -24  muzzle end. The barrel extension will be installed and the gas port drilled. Barrel profile would be optional but a .936" to the gas port would/should be standard size.

I would like to find out what kind of interest is here. As far as a price point that is open at this point but a $300 to $400 range would be a starting spot.

I will be getting a 18 inch barrel.

Mike H

Who's blanks and who is the smith? Once you start to get to $400 you are in the ball park with Rainier Ultramatch with Shilen blanks as you push the $500 mark Noveske comes in sight.

Not giving you a hard time, just a reality check of cost and quality of known sources or premium barrels.

The gunsmith is Lance from Dane Armory. I'll get more information on Monday/Tuesday when I pick up my gun.

I can tell you that there is over 4 hours of machining involved in each barrel . He does excelent work. The "Chamber work" is the key.

If I have to drive down to Tucson and let 98 or Blue or Jon shoot my 6.8's or the AR300wsm so be it !

Update :

Yes they are "Mini Gun" barrels.

They are "Button Rifled".

Manufacture is Green Mountain Barrels.

He can order any manufacturers blanks but the price goes up dramadicly. The next lowest priced blanks are the 30" GMB.

The Kreiger blanks are $400 and those aren't perfect every time. One of three of my McGowen blanks was off center.

With the Mini gun blanks there will be less machining time; two threadings ,a barrel profile, barrel extension installed and headspaced & gas port hole drilled at the approprate location.

Here is his website :

http://www.danearmory.com

Green Mountain has some pretty nice barrels. In fact, that was my choice for my AR10. For a few dollars more than their "Minigun" blank, you could go with their (Green Mountain)  Chrome Moly barrel or for a few more bucks than that the Stainless Steel barrel. Both of these barrels are 27" in length and 1.20" in diameter, giving the option of having any length barrel (up to 26½") you want  , plus the diameter is the same as the barrel extension, meaning less machine work. The "Minigun" chambers are a bit on the loose side, so as it sits, it will have to be set back a bit and re-reamed.

Hope this helps.....