• Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

What parts do I need to swap to collapsable stock?

Guest LLArms

Guest LLArms

I'm seriously considering swapping out the Magpul PRS on the Titan to a Magpul STR.

Ive been trying to justify it, but the cheek riser on the PRS was just not designed in the proper place IMO. Its to far back and I think its causing some problems in my form.

So I'm assuming I need the correct buffer tube assembly, do I also need to replace the buffer and spring?

Guest LLArms

The Titan is our rifle, its basically a DPMS LR-308 in transformer gear.  <laughs>

So from what I gather online I need the following:

Collapsible Buffer Tube

AR-15 Locking Nut

New Spring

New Buffer

???

If I am completely wrong can someone give me a detailed list to do the swap over.

I am not to framiliar with the DPMS parts on their .308...

But ArmaLites AR-10 carbine receiver extension tube is 7 5/8" on the inside depth and only have one spring for the rifle and carbines.

The parts you will need are:

Carbine receiver extension tube,

Locking ring (castle nut),

Locking plate,

Buffer,

Buffer spring. 

You may want to think about if you want a Mil spec or commercial collapsible stock / receiver extension .

No matter what you hear about the two , one thing is certain & that's the commercial receiver extension tube is thicker ,same inside dia , but the tube is thicker  & makes the outside dia larger than the Mil spec. It is why I used commercial on my 308 .

Honestly, I think you should look at other full stock options instead of the collapsible stocks. Wouldn't a compact stock defeat the purpose of your rifle?

The RRA A2 Operator stock and the VLTOR A2 ModStock both will fit your current hardware, and only cost about $100-$150. They come with cheek rest storage areas on both sides, and they still line up like a standard stock. I think it'd be nice to see an aluminum or steel dowel lathed out to insert inside the storage area for the extra weight in the rear. Just my $0.02, it usually ain't worth much more than that.

Guest LLArms

Fixed or collapsible doesn't effect the the project. If anything it will be a benefit to move to collapsible for storage reasons.

Plus that is what testing is for.

At least this way I have both types of tubes on hand and moving forward I can test either type of stock without needing extra parts.

Nothing is ever written in stone.

Guest LLArms

To be perfectly honest the A2 is butt ugly to me.

Project Titan is not only based in performance, but a work of art to me.

I have an extra A2 butt stock for sale if anyone is interested.  <laughs>