• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I sent him my notes of your expetease 

What?  that im the butt meister?  LOL ......I changed all that up Ha...   Wash

DNP....if you do a butt....DO Not eat that grey crap fatty ligament thats running by the bone or close to it you will see it when you bear claw...toss it...dont even mix it in...its nasty lol.....you see it?.....lower left center....but a small butt doesnt have that nasty too much like a big one does         Shepp dont tell me you eat the grey matter?   The fat yes...but not that grey spongey whatever the f it is

DNP after 5 years of pellets ive come to the conclusion pecan is my favorite.....and traeger is the only brand around here that has pecan.... hickory was my go to....pecan is better                                                                                                                                                                                    

IMG_1711.JPG

Edited by washguy

What?  that im the butt meister?  LOL ......I changed all that up Ha...   Wash

DNP....if you do a butt....DO Not eat that grey crap fatty ligament thats running by the bone or close to it you will see it when you bear claw...toss it...dont even mix it in...its nasty lol

IMG_1711.JPG

I eat it all!!!! My favorite part is the strings of meat in the fat, it's so rich and tender, fuck I need to smoke some pork

Unfortunately for me, there's no bone in my butt. ??

shepp shared a few of your secrets. I think I'm going to be doing the butt Friday and the ribs on Saturday. Will be doing just a dry rub on the ribs. I usually order dry over sauced when I have a choice.  

Unfortunately for me, there's no bone in my butt. ??

shepp shared a few of your secrets. I think I'm going to be doing the butt Friday and the ribs on Saturday. Will be doing just a dry rub on the ribs. I usually order dry over sauced when I have a choice.  

Yep I just do dry now on ribs...never sauce em while smokin....dont spritz ribs or butts anymore with this oakridge rub...let it make a nice bark      pm me if you wanna..... you are lookin at bout 12 hrs on the big butt      We are doing reverse seared  smoked Fillet Mignon tomorrow nite.... with sea salt smoked potato...the bakers take bout 2.5 hrs at 325.....lather the bakers up with butter sprinkle sea salt all over...wrap em in foil put on smoker.....  Wash

May give that a try. I'll make sure I get the butt in early. I don't think the oak ridge rub is going to arrive in time, so I've gathered some fixins to make one. 

Find you some Dizzy pig rub.....they gotta have a bbq store around with rubs....traeger has some... green mountain has a good pork rub....stubbs, john henry stay away from. that rod grey pellet envy has awesome rubs ipo and the next best thing....you said you thought you saw his....make sure butt is room temp before putting on smoker......you want some fat cap,but not real real thick...trim some of it then score it both ways like squares....i like my fat cap grill side down...some the other way but there is enough far running thru it doesnt need more dripping down into meat....the whole exercise is to render the fat down and meld it with the meat.....250 degrees ....200/203 internal on the meat....then wrap in foil and let it rest in a foam beer cooler with towels on top and bottom or in an oven thats not on...the rest part pays off in dividends and you will gain moisture and temp...I dont spritz with apple anymore because this rub is so great it seals in moisture while barking up real heavy....on a big butt injecting is nice with apple juice......use bout 1 tablespoon of veggie oil to rub down the butt so the rub stays on and melts into the meat        Wash

heres some ribs.....done when their done   200/225 or 250  degrees  grab the end of a slab with your new insulated gloved hand you are looking at the bend of the slab and looking for the cracks between the bones to start to split...then its done...and the boned ends have shrunk a lil....doesnt hurt to give a taste to check it out    lol

IMG_0400.JPG

IMG_0401.JPG

IMG_0402.JPG

Also when you do your ribs there's a membrane on the back it's a pita ass to pull off if you can't get it off score it along the bones it helps a lot 

wash, you ever try putting just a tin coat of sauce on your ribs about 30 min before they come off? That's how I do mine, love it

Thanks Shepp.

One of the shows I was watching recommended mustard, just plain yellow mustard for a bonding agent for the rub. Thoughts on that from the pros?  They say it adds zero flavor, just holds the rub on.  Can't remember which show it was-it was quite a while back. 

Thanks Shepp.

One of the shows I was watching recommended mustard, just plain yellow mustard for a bonding agent for the rub. Thoughts on that from the pros?  They say it adds zero flavor, just holds the rub on.  Can't remember which show it was-it was quite a while back. 

I normally just use some olive oil 

Thanks Shepp.

Yeppers plain yellow mustard...the no name brand.....do it on all my ribs for sure....its just a bonding agent with no oil or taste...slather it on then put on the rub

as for the silver membrane on the backside of the ribs...use a paper towel to grab it and rip it off...dunno why the paper towel works but it does....very rare but once in a while the meat packer will have done it....one time i hear char cussin and raising hell in the kitchen... cant get this damn double damn triple damn membrane off these ribs....she's pulling and cussin....go in the kitchen and there was no membrane  Ha   Wash

Yep Shepp  ive sauced em for the last 30 mins for a glaze..... ive also changed up my recipes....no more foil for the ribs  or  "Texas crutch"  nope its all in the rub....we want a nice hard tasty bark so we dont foil or do the 3-2-1 thing...put em on and leave em be til the 'bend test' works....looked back at my journal I do foil em with some apple juice for 30/40 mins....being careful not to put the apple juice on top the bark....just lay some in the bottom of the foil and then tent it up

bbq ideas         http://amazingribs.com/ 

big boy butt bout 12 lbs    mustard slather then the rub....ive gone to doing the rub bout an hour before smokin... I dont put it in the fridge overnite anymore.

IMG_1133.JPG

IMG_1134.JPG

IMG_1136.JPG

Edited by washguy

Reverse seared tenderloin and a smoked salted baked tator....no greens oh my.. rub down the steaks and salt/butter up the bakers.... they take 3 hrs on the grill..at 350 degrees.plan accordingly...get the smoker to 500 degrees and sear each side for 5 mins... then turn smoker down to 250 as it cools down and smoking  the meat is cooking takes another 20 mins until internal is bout 140 thats med rare....dont need no thermo just know by touch .....   Wash

all my $hit is sideways....Ha    par for the course

20151231_141847.jpg

20151231_143315.jpg

20151231_142117.jpg

20151231_192057.jpg

20151231_192245.jpg

20151231_192606.jpg

20151231_193121.jpg

Edited by washguy

Reverse seared tenderloin and a smoked salted baked tator....no greens oh my.. rub down the steaks and salt/butter up the bakers.... they take 3 hrs on the grill..at 350 degrees.plan accordingly...get the smoke

Are you using a Canon canera? 

My EOS T-5 allows you to flip, or rotate the image Also if I have to resize the image on the Windows picture manager app and it will rotate the image.

Lid is down and has been since it started.  Monitoring temps. The ambient probe on the thermo is showing a swing from 240-325. The digital thermo on the traeger is going from 230-275ish. Had to set the grill at 225 setting. Claims the smaller butt is at 157 already and the bigger one is 20degrees cooler. I'm going to swap probes in a little while to confirm that they read the same.  Might be eating one for lunch. 

Lid is down and has been since it started.  Monitoring temps. The ambient probe on the thermo is showing a swing from 240-325. The digital thermo on the traeger is going from 230-275ish. Had to set the grill at 225 setting. Claims the smaller butt is at 157 already and the bigger one is 20degrees cooler. I'm going to swap probes in a little while to confirm that they read the same.  Might be eating one for lunch. 

your smaller one should be in the stall, so your bigger one may catch up alil. 

how long they been on and what was the internal temp when you stuck the probe in?....should not have any wild swings...my igrill prob will go back and forth one degree...i dont use the meat probes that come with the smoker...trust your digitals you bought......if you have multiple probes on the one you bought....take one  out and take it outside the grill and see if it sez the same temp as the outdoors temp not laying on the smoker to check it out,but im sure its fine....but wild swings....hmmmmm........replace the spot where you have the probes,,,you may be in a fat zone or bone zone....lol        a lil temp swing reading      http://pelletheads.com/index.php?topic=34905.0

Wash

Edited by washguy

• shepp locked and unlocked this topic